Road 34
    Jan 2004

How can I increase travel on my 03 SGS Sport?

I posted this question on the IronHorse forum, but no one replied. I have an 03 Ironhorse SGS sport and would like a longer travel shock to increase travel and make the head angle a little steeper. Are the SGS expert frames and sport frames identical except for the rear shock? I installed a shock that is slightly shorter than the stock shock, and I also have a junior T so my head angle is a little too slack for my tastes. Can I install a shock with the same dimensions as on the expert and get 7 inches of travel? Thank you!
    <><

Industry Loudmouth
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhorse12
    I posted this question on the IronHorse forum, but no one replied. I have an 03 Ironhorse SGS sport and would like a longer travel shock to increase travel and make the head angle a little steeper. Are the SGS expert frames and sport frames identical except for the rear shock? I installed a shock that is slightly shorter than the stock shock, and I also have a junior T so my head angle is a little too slack for my tastes. Can I install a shock with the same dimensions as on the expert and get 7 inches of travel? Thank you!
    No, the 03 SGS Sport and SGS Expert use different frames. They have the same geometry but the Expert uses full sealed bearing and the Sport uses a bushing/bearing combo. The only way to increase travel would be with a longer stroke shock. the shock on your bike is a 7.875x2". If you use a 2.25" shock you will get an extra .75" travel. Also make sure your shock is in the forward hole on the linkage. This is the 6" position. The rear hole is 4" travel.

-ska todd

jibber of the unjibbable
    by drilling speed holes in the front of the head tube and then stuffing them full of half rotted pine cones. this will make the pine trees think that you are one of them whilst buzzing down the mountain and to not reach out with their evil pine tentacles and snatch you off your bike at high speeds
    [SIZE=6]Boogie down to free James Brown[/SIZE]