Abby Design & Constructio
    Feb 2012

How to build up confidence for a drop I've been looking at? How to whip?

I ride a 160mm travel bike and want to do this drop at the local spot called Rocky Knob in Boone, NC.The drop you ride out a skinny onto a rock and you can go off to the left, which is a steep wooden ramp, or go off to the left which is a 5 foot drop with a small transition and trees. I have seen people do it but cannot build up the confidence. What can help? Sorry don't have any pictures because of weather and cannot ride up there right now.

I also want to learn to do a whip. What do you do when you approach the jump? What do you do in the air? What do you do on landing?

Need anymore info just ask

Thanks

mtbr member

How to build up confidence for a drop I've been looking at? How to whip?

The only way to literally "build" up to a drop is to hit smaller drops and then slowly increase. That can help a lot. Also following someone who's done it before helps. Other than that, it's just a head game. Do you know you have the ability to successfully hit the drop? Then make the commitment and keep it. Lack of commitment is the most dangerous thing, to me.

As for whips, it doesn't really translate on to paper well. I think I remember seeing a how-to on Pinkbike somewhere. Watch lots of videos, hit lots of jumps, try to do what you see!

Feb 2012
    Thanks for the input! That helps. I think I'm just gonna man up and do it haha. It's really just the landing, there isn't much space after you land.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Close your eyes and pray!

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikesrock View Post
    ...you can go off to the left, which is a steep wooden ramp, or go off to the left which is a 5 foot drop...
    maybe you should try the right side a few times first...

trail addict
    When it comes to riding an obstacle that is a little out of my comfort zone, I go through a few things...
    Does this look fun/rewarding?
    Do I have the skillset to hit this (can you visualize hitting the landing, or do you visualize a trip to the emergency room)?
    Do I have the skillset to hit this on the bike I am riding RIGHT NOW (if you are clearly on the wrong bike, save it for another time)?
    Is there somebody I can follow who I trust to help me keep the right speed (if speed/timing is clearly an issue)?
    Is there somebody around i trust to take care of me if things go wrong?
    Does somebody have a video camera (cause whether it is really cool or a gnarly crash, I want evidence)?

I allow myself a run-up or two, maybe. When the time comes to hit it, if the nervousness is getting the better of me, I say in my head, "this is why you ride" as I approach.

if you are doing a dozen practice run-ins or spending more than a few moments sizing it up, that is when you have to stop letting it get in your head and just say "next time". Next time might be later that same day or some other ride... wait until the vibe feels right. There is a fine line between nervousness and fright sometimes.

As for learning to do a whip, I am not the best teacher, but you need to let your body relax in the air-your hips, torso, arms, and legs are all gonna be doing things that are not very easy to explain, but become more intuitive with practice. Can you do a wheelie and turn the handlebars? Can you do a stoppie and kick the back end around a little? I would say those are the building blocks to getting the bike sideways in the air. You can't just launch off a lip with all your momentum sailing like a block of lead, you gotta put some body-english into the take-off and in flight.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I read somewhere that when you're scoping out a new jump or drop.... To lay down on the obstacle and look at the landing/finish from that perspective. (i.e.- lip of the jump, etc)
    From that perspective it will look much smaller and you won't be distracted by everything else around it.

mtbr member
    Visualization for a new drop is key for me. For some reason, some of them just make sense in my head, and others I have a hard time reconciling with. I'll run over it in my head time after time, youtube it, etc., until I get a picture of how it is going to go. Sometimes works, sometimes it is nothing like I planned, but that at least helps me get over the edge the first time.

It also helps me a lot to follow another rider, although that is more when talking about gaps or doubles or something where I need the right amount of speed to make the transition. If you're talking about a tight landing here, maybe another rider will just complicate things.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The other posters are on point, my only advice, if you're not feeling it don't do it. I don't know why but sometimes I come to something I've dropped or jumped dozens of times often not even thinking about it, just didn't feel it and bypassed it. BinaryBike is right, don't go into to it if you are not ready to commit, hitmoafu-hesitation is the mother of all f*#k-ups. Work your way up to it and you'll be fine.

Feb 2012
    That makes sense. Thanks!

Feb 2012
    Thanks for the responses. Once the weather is looking good I'm gonna go up there and send it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good luck and don't forget to capture it on video.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Re: How to build up confidence for a drop I've been looking at? How to whip?

Well, if you're only thinking how will you get crashed then don't do it.

You have to have good feeling, that it will be ok and that you can do it. I usually tell myself "I can do it!", make a good observation of the gap, drop or whatever and do it.

If I have a bad feeling that somehow it will not be ok, then I just don't do it. No matter what anyone else says.

Sent from my GT-I9100

RideDirt
    Take a pre-sh!t in your pants and just go for it .

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Lots of great advise up above, That's a fairly easy drop closer to 4' though, Ive hit it on my 29er hardtail. The log ride to get up on the rock was more challenging than the drop off to me. Thats on of the most fun new trail systems I have visited.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    get some skills tuition from a qualified coach,,, they will have you hitting drops / jumps and whipping with confidence and correct techniques in no time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I used to live in Boone, and the key to that drop is carrying speed on the skinny. Practice in the intermediate skills area riding the skinnies that are lower to the ground. Also you can hit the drop in the advanced skills area that is the diving board (huck to flat), but is basically the same height as the rock drop and without the skinny thus making it more beginner friendly. Become comfortable on these features and then combined them on the rock drop. The whole idea behind Rocky Knob is to allow riders to build up to bigger stunts through repeated exposure to smaller and less risky stunts. Hope this helps.

Feb 2012

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Take a pre-sh!t in your pants and just go for it .
    Well do!

Feb 2012
    Ay you still ride at Rocky Knob? What's your name?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikesrock View Post
    Ay you still ride at Rocky Knob? What's your name?
    I moved from NC to OK this past August, but have ridden the Knob many a time. Awesome riding, really miss Boone. I rode a white Ibis mojo hd. If you were riding at all this past summer, I'm sure we probably past each other at some point. Anyway good luck with the drop, post a pic of you sending it!

Best,

Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BinaryBike View Post
    The only way to literally "build" up to a drop is to hit smaller drops and then slowly increase. That can help a lot. Also following someone who's done it before helps. Other than that, it's just a head game. Do you know you have the ability to successfully hit the drop? Then make the commitment and keep it. Lack of commitment is the most dangerous thing, to me.
    That is really good advice right there. Most of my jumps and drops have turned out just fine but were all a huge head game prior to actually doing them.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac View Post
    Lots of great advise up above, That's a fairly easy drop closer to 4' though, Ive hit it on my 29er hardtail. The log ride to get up on the rock was more challenging than the drop off to me. Thats on of the most fun new trail systems I have visited.
    The 29er hardtail hit it, Man-up or turn in your mancard!
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!