mtbr member

How big does the purse have to be to attract top Pros to an Enduro Race?

How much money do you have to give out to attract some of the upper echelon Pros to an event?

We've got some decent sized donations from local businesses and tourism money for our Fears Tears and Beers MTB Enduro and are considering adding a Open Pro Class this year.

Would a $1000 1st, $750 2nd, $500 3rd prize attract any attention?

How about $2000 1st, $1500 2nd, $1000 third?

Or would we be better off investing that same money in advertising, better timing equipment, etc?

Moose Member
    I'm not sure how this would work, but I would try to find some big names and pros in the area and get them to commit to attend, then have them help advertise and use them to advertise. You're in the St George area right? You might want to try to get a hold of Eric Porter or Logan Bignelli or people like that in Utah. Seriously, one of those guys tweets about it, and you got people swarming your nuts to get in. I'd come race for 1k cash, but i'm not pro so I'm not sure if 1k is enough for pros.

I say 1-1.5k for the winner, and advertise like crazy. DH mike (I think hes the guy) advertised like crazy for the Bootleg race coming up, and i know people from San Diego travelling out there to race. He also has a picture of Cam Zink pulling a whip on the poster.

When is this going down and where?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    I'm not sure how this would work, but I would try to find some big names and pros in the area and get them to commit to attend, then have them help advertise and use them to advertise. You're in the St George area right? You might want to try to get a hold of Eric Porter or Logan Bignelli or people like that in Utah. Seriously, one of those guys tweets about it, and you got people swarming your nuts to get in. I'd come race for 1k cash, but i'm not pro so I'm not sure if 1k is enough for pros.

I say 1-1.5k for the winner, and advertise like crazy. DH mike (I think hes the guy) advertised like crazy for the Bootleg race coming up, and i know people from San Diego travelling out there to race. He also has a picture of Cam Zink pulling a whip on the poster.

When is this going down and where?
    It's in Ely, NV on June 9th. You should come.

We do get some pretty fast, sponsered riders that show up each year even without a pay out so hopefully with a payout it will get some attention.

What kind of advertising does DH mike do? Posters in shops, internet spaming? What else works?

We've asked about doing a banner ad here on MTBR but I can't seem to get anyone to answer my e-mails when I ask about cost. Anyone have an idea what running a banner ad in one or two key forums for a month or two before the race would cost?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    have you thought of or tried social networking sites like facebook and twitter...
    like moosey said if the right people find out about it and spread the word, then this has the potential to be huuuuuge...
    goodluck hope it works out for ya

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Don't forget to post on the regional areas like AZ and NM too! Lots of us from Arizona go to Bootleg pretty regularly so a little further for a great race is no big deal.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Glad to Be Alive
    Downhill Mike post here about upcoming races and prize events...to me it is a form of spam but it is for every one so I think that is why MTBR lets it slide....man that is awesome doing event like that....really it comes down to schedules with the pros...because if you think about it...like just say from Los Angeles ...you have 2 or 3 nights hotel...so 200 to 300 in hotel (taxes and yada)...Gas about 250 bucks...that is a lot of dough just to get there unless you have friends coming with you...so you are in 500....2000 for first sounds awesome
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    put the details in your sig.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    have you thought of or tried social networking sites like facebook and twitter...
    like moosey said if the right people find out about it and spread the word, then this has the potential to be huuuuuge...
    goodluck hope it works out for ya
    Thanks man.

We do have a facebook page which is starting to gather some steam. We're getting 2-3 new "likes" every day or two.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If you get this up on a "magazine" type site like Vital, you will get riders. They just had something up about a local NorCal Enduro race happening before Sea Otter. If your race is good (courses, organization, etc), people will come.

The 12 mile Super D in Ashland is going to be Enduro format this year (any waaaaaay better). Last year they had something like 500+ entries for the fire road pedal fest the course used to be.

Enduro race format is coming on strong and gaining a foothold in this country! Siiiiiick!

And a $1000 payout for 1st Pro is plenty! This is mtb racing after all.

Moose Member
    If you shoot me some of the technical info on it and a picture of a poster or some sort of ad, I'll try to get it on the front page of Pinkbike.

mtbr member
    I second A-rider...

Theres a lot of people who race Pro but aren't huge names. While a big purse is great, lots of people just want to try to win and any monetary incentive in addition to a medal is great. I think $1,000 is plenty.

The super big dog pros generally get paid by their sponsors, and get an additional little bonus check for attending and winning competitions. So fo them, a $1,000 purse would also be more than plenty.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

Pro Crastinator
    the purse should be big enough to hold a wallet, some make-up, kleenax, a couple extra tampons, sunglasses and a pen or two. you know, the usual stuff...