Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    banned
    Jan 2013
    Def hittin the jump the right way is good to know

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    1. this video is not showing a steep jump at all

2. on a steep jump you SHOULDN'T be aggressively on your front - this is the same on a bike, skateboard, whatever. You should be balanced on approach, and if you manage to stay loose the bike will kind of tell you where the body needs to be. Don't try to force this to get on the front. Yes, you need to pump / push off / stand up from the lip but don't go up the steep trying to be aggressively on the front. Don't lean back either, unless you are going for a backflip.

brake later, pedal sooner
    an old picture, but stay loose (your limbs not your grip) on the bike and balanced and in control when you go off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ^^^ Awesome!

Yes, I am no expert myself but you seem to be and that picture illustrates perfectly what I was trying to convey:
    one needs to be balanced and listen to the bike for the steep portion, not try to get aggro on the front

mtbr member
    Yeah, that Minaar video is more like an advanced technique. It's more of a "scrub", and a whip. I have the dvd, and it didn't work for me when I was still learning (and learning still). Try doing that when you are still learning, you'll probably end up on your back facing the sky.

As Ustemuf said, just be loose.

A little vid from my practice jump.

Practice jump - YouTube
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ^ man, hate to be a dick but here goes: I know you have a helmet - wear it

mtbr member
    I would have, but my headphones won't fit.
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lernr View Post
    ^ man, hate to be a dick but here goes: I know you have a helmet - wear it
    +1000

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got a question, most jumps are built cool.

But once in a while I come across a jump (always a larger one, 15 foot + air time) where the takeoff and landing really don't match up - like a mellow take off ramp onto a steep as hell slope.

So on those ones I come in rear wheel landing first which I hate (even pushing down on the handlebars and tucking my the rear under my butt doesn't make up for it).

Whats the correct technique for this type of jump, being weighted forward on the bike on take off so your nose will drop more aggressively than normal? or tapping rear brake in mid flight to bring nose down?

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by redbluecai View Post
    Wurd. Muscle memory.
    That's a good way of putting it!

Muscle memory is actually the memories stored in the brain that are much like an accumulation of all the details of the muscle movements and thinking that is required when doing something like "jumping". It's a procedural memory that guides the rider to become very good at something through repetition, but in exactly the same way it can make the rider absolutely terrible at that same thing.

So it makes sense to practice but to practice proper technique. (I'm still learning and I appreciate threads like this)
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Go to the pump track. Keep the bike from eating up the lip. Like other have said the vike want to soften the ramp. Preloading and letting the bike move into you untill the lip keeps you speed control.. eat your speed the pump track is very simaler. Dont let the suspeshion eat you speed and dont lwt you weight fight the ramp

mtbr member
    Here's a little comparo from today. My buddy is having problems staying stiff in the air.

May be subtle, but I'm a little lower on the bike. Let the bike come up to you, and push it down to the landing.

This one shows it a little better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester29959 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. Only problem is I have to wait for winter to be over before I can ride
    Roadtrip to Cleveland & ride at Ray's MTB

Jumps out the wazoo . . . No freezing involved.

Check out my You Tube Channel

Pro Crastinator
    i wish i had the patience to type out a descriptive response. most of the ones already given here make me laugh...

Team Chilidog!
    subscribed.

I picked up a DJ bike to work on my jumps, but it definitely doesn't translate how to jump something that's a longer travel full suspension (6" or 8"), but it helps get the basics of the jumping and bike handling.

Much harder to jump a bike with suspension, so I'm curious about the differences. That, and the cool videos
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

brake later, pedal sooner
    if you're having problems, drink two beers then hit the jump.

DownhillBAWS
    Ustemuf I'm to young to drink haha
    Just take off the silver part you'll still have the pretty anodized partion, and you'll ride much faster. As fast as a 29er!

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester29959 View Post
    Ustemuf I'm to young to drink haha
    blasphemy...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    if you're having problems, drink two beers then hit the jump.
    Guess now I know why I always find empties at the top of the freeride trails around here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    subscribed.

I picked up a DJ bike to work on my jumps, but it definitely doesn't translate how to jump something that's a longer travel full suspension (6" or 8"), but it helps get the basics of the jumping and bike handling.

Much harder to jump a bike with suspension, so I'm curious about the differences. That, and the cool videos
    I bought a DJ to work on jumps as well, jumping might be harder on a FS but the landings sure are easier. Getting bucked off casing a landing on a DJ is super sketchy. Anyone else find FS jumping more confidence inspiring as well?

Also ^^^^ on the Hastings jump up ther, that lip is even more vertical than the pic shows

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    Here's a little comparo from today. My buddy is having problems staying stiff in the air.

May be subtle, but I'm a little lower on the bike. Let the bike come up to you, and push it down to the landing.

This one shows it a little better.
    Blackrock Stimulator jump!

I think I have hit that thing 40 times and I'm still sucking at it. But it's a really a great one to practice on.
    "Let the wheels spin."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2