Thread: hope f20's

squish, squish in da fish

hope f20's

blew out my drive side pedal spindle today casing a landing. i did a google search for the spindles and it came up dead. i dread hope cs and will do anything to purchase from a dealer instead, but i believe i must. unless, anyone out there that has had the same problem and found them let me know. thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    is their cs not very good? I have never heard anything bad about it..

always several days before a response if any, through email.

Pro Crastinator
    call them, don't email. i always have my products within just a few days. been this way with them for almost 15 years now...

i don't really have time to call, but they did respond to an email, times change i guess. normally they say i'd have to send the pedals in so they can replace the spindle. what, really?! they're not avail for sale, but they said he'd send me a spindle but i will have to get an 8mm socket turned down to remove the spindle. really? why can't i use a drift pin and smash it out, the machining dimple is already there? i love hope products and these pedals have been thoroughly abused. almost 2 years not one service and they have absolutely no slop. yes they are a great product but i'm afraid, no available rebuild kits and spindles is the deal breaker. i could see their stance if they were Ti but they're cro mo. not meant to sound like a rant, just trying to show the good and the bad.

edit: upon further inspection i do see that there actually is an 8mm nut in there, but how do you remove it when the spindle is broke and you don't have anything to grab to oppose the wrenching of the nut? i guess send it in
    Last edited by fishwrinkle; 08-04-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    i don't really have time to call, but they did respond to an email, times change i guess. normally they say i'd have to send the pedals in so they can replace the spindle. what, really?! they're not avail for sale, but they said he'd send me a spindle but i will have to get an 8mm socket turned down to remove the spindle. really? why can't i use a drift pin and smash it out, the machining dimple is already there? i love hope products and these pedals have been thoroughly abused. almost 2 years not one service and they have absolutely no slop. yes they are a great product but i'm afraid, no available rebuild kits and spindles is the deal breaker. i could see their stance if they were Ti but they're cro mo. not meant to sound like a rant, just trying to show the good and the bad.

2 years no service, quit your biatchin and just buy a new pedal
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mmm kay, send me the $160 and i'll gladly buy a pedal as you say. don't need a pedal need a new spindle

Pro Crastinator
    i don't really have time to call..
    but you have all the time in the world for playing on the internet. if you'd just called, your problem would have been solved within a few minutes...

mtbr member
    blew out my drive side pedal spindle today casing a landing. i did a google search for the spindles and it came up dead.
    All the internal parts of a Hope F20 (except one), available to buy.
    Hope Flat Pedal Cro-Mo Axle
    Hope Flat Pedal Plain Bush
    Hope Flat Pedal Bearing
    Hope Flat Pedal Face Lip Seal
    Hope Flat Pedal Double Lip Seal
    Hope Flat Pedal End Cap
    The M5 axle nut is part number HBSP19 if you need a new one, but it's a pretty normal Nyloc nut.

Hope make spares for everything, I have no idea about US/Canada distribution situation but since a whole bunch of UK and European stores ship to the US that shouldn't really be an issue, Hope spares are cheap and plentiful over here.

Where did the axle snap exactly? If it's right at the end you can tap it out with a pun ch from behind (if you have a long enough punch to fit down the pedal body). If it's further along it's a send back to Hope job.

thx spade. i had googled (hope f-20 spindle/rebuild kit/parts....) and nothing came up which is odd. yeah i guess i have to send it in because it snapped where the taper meets the straight by the bushing at the odd groove.

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    but you have all the time in the world for playing on the internet. if you'd just called, your problem would have been solved within a few minutes...
    if you would re-read post #5 i've been in contact with them. i'm glad you know my schedule and how i don't really have time to call. i use the web from my phone a couple mins at a time throughout my 14 hr work day and 2 hr round trip.

Pro Crastinator
    ...2 hr round trip...
    hey, i'm sorry you can't figure out how to fit in a 10 minute call within a 120 minute time frame...

i still stand by my statement that if you'd simply called them from the start, you'd already have your pedals back on your bike in working order...

ah nope, i have to send 'em in(post #10), probably TX can fix them after hope sends the axle to them. ok WCH you really wanna know? yeah, its hard to have a phone convo in my car cause i have a "blow n go" installed. random rolling tests until the ignition is off. i'll stand by my statement!