Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,869

    In honor of Maddog

    who apparently can't let sleeping dogs rest (Like Uphill Better than Downhill?), I though I'd let some of his ilk comment. How many of enjoy riding uphills in addition to downhills, and why?

    My guess is most on this board would rather ride downhill, but how many of you get satisfication in riding up as well?

  2. #2
    Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    Reputation: Master_Jako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,382
    i get that satisfaction because i really dont care if i need to ride up to go down. but if its not worth the effort to go up, its a differant story. if theride up is avoidable, they why bother?

  3. #3
    Adicted 2 Bike Porn
    Reputation: bikecowboy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    who apparently can't let sleeping dogs rest (Like Uphill Better than Downhill?), I though I'd let some of his ilk comment. How many of enjoy riding uphills in addition to downhills, and why?

    My guess is most on this board would rather ride downhill, but how many of you get satisfication in riding up as well?

    Riding up hill is like masterbating with a sandpaper glove...You knew it was a bad idea the instant you heard about it.
    Yes, I want some cheezy poofs...!

  4. #4
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecowboy69
    Riding up hill is like masterbating with a sandpaper glove...You knew it was a bad idea the instant you heard about it.
    climbing the hill is exactly what i had in mind when i designed this bike....


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Prechrysler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    562
    For me, going up is a bit of a high. I'd compare it to those first few alcoholic beverages (uphill) before that first line of coke (downhill).

    It's also my favorite cardio exercise. The stationary bikes at the gym don't quite cut it.

  6. #6
    Removed at birth
    Reputation: Weyvoless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    595
    I like to earn my downhills with a good long climb usually, but then I also prefer a good day riding the lift too. I ride my trail bike about twice a week, and my DH bike once a week.
    Peace out! War In!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    494
    [QUOTE=skinny-tire]who apparently can't let sleeping dogs rest (Like Uphill Better than Downhill?), I though I'd let some of his ilk comment. How many of enjoy riding uphills in addition to downhills, and why?

    y QUOTE]

    I am deeply flattered Skinny-Tire! Not to be picky but I think the phrase is "let sleeping dogs LIE" not rest. The dog is asleep, not resting.

    To me, this thread is an entirely new topic spun off by the many disagreements with those of you who dispute my claim that most riders enjoy the downhill more than the uphill. The evidence I offered was that mtbers of all types and ability levels will pay to avoid the uphills but I have no evidence that riders who like the uphill better, not in addition to, the downhills would pay to avoid the dreaded downhill . You have mislead readers of this thread by twisting and spinning (you do like to spin don't you?) my previously stated claim. A more accurate test question for our downhill brothers and sisters would be "How many of you enjoy riding uphills MORE THAN riding downhills". That question accurately reflects the true nature of the claim which I have made in response to the climbing advocates.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,869
    Actually, I have no idea what you just wrote. In addition to using paragraphs, you should also avoid run-on sentences.

    No, I'm not spinning anything. I am curious how many DH/FRers actually don't mind climbing uphill, since it's a given they enjoy riding downill more than going up, ain't it? I love the responses that ascending a hill is for lycra-wearing wussies. That one actually made me laugh out loud.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog
    To me, this thread is an entirely new topic spun off by the many disagreements with those of you who dispute my claim that most riders enjoy the downhill more than the uphill. The evidence I offered was that mtbers of all types and ability levels will pay to avoid the uphills
    But this is the fact that you can't seem to get through your thick skull. I would venture to say that the majority of riders of all types don't mind riding uphill, and the fact remains that most would rather be on thier bike seat, and not in the passenger sear ot ski lift seat, or whatever. Look, I'm not saying downhill parks don't have a place in biking, but to continually make a claim that most riders woudl rather bomd down a hill rather than ride up one is ridiculous. All I wanted to know is, of those who obviously would rather bomb down a hill, how many actually don't mind riding up it. (I mean, if I paid $31 every time I wanted to ride, I'd be friggin broke. Don't you feel you have to earn a downhill sometimes?

  9. #9
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,103
    hows'it climb? Looks cool though! nice linkage driving the shock, low center of gravity and such.
    Try this: HTFU

  10. #10
    V10 Freerider
    Reputation: Frankenschwinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    753
    I just like to ride. Uphill, downhill, road, dirt, concrete and wood. 20", 26", 700c. Whatever. keep it real on two wheels. Why does it have to be one thing or the other? Is there a reason besides finances that one should have to choose sides? Why can we not just appreciate the beauty that is the bicycle. Sorry, I am waxing poetic.

    BTW. Riding uphill will make a faster DHer out of most people. there is a reason we don't ride chainless and just coast down...
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

  11. #11
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenschwinn
    there is a reason we don't ride chainless and just coast down...
    do you even know why some guys ride chainless? i'll give you a hint: its actually a training method.

    and the guys i usually see coasting down on the brakes are usually the xc'ers, but anyways....

    ahh, ignorance abounds....

  12. #12
    V10 Freerider
    Reputation: Frankenschwinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    do you even know why some guys ride chainless? i'll give you a hint: its actually a training method.

    and the guys i usually see coasting down on the brakes are usually the xc'ers, but anyways....

    ahh, ignorance abounds....
    I can see where it would be a skill builder but it would not help fitness... And in most races it is the fit that win...
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

  13. #13
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenschwinn
    ... And in most races it is the fit that win...
    not necessarily on a 2 minute race course. On lower racing classes, it seems simply not crashing and maintaining speed is the way to go, in higher classes sprinter shape will obviously help alot, but not worth much if you cant control your bike at higher speeds either.

    Really epic xc rides arent the best way to go; if your near a mountain, you'll be working on DH skills, otherwise there are other ways to train. It seems road training seems to be popular among DH racers for this cause.

    i'm not saying xc and dh are mutually exclusive, one of my riding buds excels at both, but it seems to be rare. The overall mentality and how people see the trails differ, like cross-country skiing vs. downhill, where teleskiers in the center are usually just plain old hardcore getting off on getting anywhere with the efficiency split down the middle.

  14. #14
    V10 Freerider
    Reputation: Frankenschwinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    not necessarily on a 2 minute race course. On lower racing classes, it seems simply not crashing and maintaining speed is the way to go, in higher classes sprinter shape will obviously help alot, but not worth much if you cant control your bike at higher speeds either.

    Really epic xc rides arent the best way to go; if your near a mountain, you'll be working on DH skills, otherwise there are other ways to train. It seems road training seems to be popular among DH racers for this cause.

    i'm not saying xc and dh are mutually exclusive, one of my riding buds excels at both, but it seems to be rare. The overall mentality and how people see the trails differ, like cross-country skiing vs. downhill, where teleskiers in the center are usually just plain old hardcore getting off on getting anywhere with the efficiency split down the middle.
    I would have to agree with all of your points. I train on the road with hill sprints and intervals and when I do ride XC most of my buddies will not follow me because of where they generally find themselves.

    I live in Oklahoma and riding chainless here would not get you very far. Unless you want to go flintstones style...
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

  15. #15
    BLING BLING
    Reputation: MulletsRuleAndSoDoI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Prechrysler
    For me, going up is a bit of a high. I'd compare it to those first few alcoholic beverages (uphill) before that first line of coke (downhill).

    It's also my favorite cardio exercise. The stationary bikes at the gym don't quite cut it.

    Couldn't agree more. You've gotta pay to play. Pay in sweat.
    Please spellcheck. It's free for you cheapskates.
    -14 Car Garage-
    Gold teeth rule.

  16. #16
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenschwinn
    I live in Oklahoma and riding chainless here would not get you very far. Unless you want to go flintstones style...
    thats another problem with the perception of downhill, the type of terrain and whats called downhill varies from geographical area. Pure xc/road guys (or non-bikers for that matter) tend to not understand what the riding requires and the type of terrain involved; many think of flat sweeping fireroads for all-out speeds, or taking the same trails as skiers do but without the snow, when the reality is quite different. The trails around here dont have much wide open speed stuff, most of it is technical steep/turny with slow to moderate speeds with the occasional fast 'flow' section thrown in. You also see some rich kids show up with brand new 5K DH rigs thinking they'll be able to tackle anything because their equiped to do so, then you see them taking the (illegal) fireroads all day, or walking their bikes down tough sections, because thats all they can handle.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Actually, I have no idea what you just wrote. In addition to using paragraphs, you should also avoid run-on sentences.

    No, I'm not spinning anything. I am curious how many DH/FRers actually don't mind climbing uphill, since it's a given they enjoy riding downill more than going up, ain't it? I love the responses that ascending a hill is for lycra-wearing wussies. That one actually made me laugh out loud.


    But this is the fact that you can't seem to get through your thick skull. I would venture to say that the majority of riders of all types don't mind riding uphill, and the fact remains that most would rather be on thier bike seat, and not in the passenger sear ot ski lift seat, or whatever. Look, I'm not saying downhill parks don't have a place in biking, but to continually make a claim that most riders woudl rather bomd down a hill rather than ride up one is ridiculous. All I wanted to know is, of those who obviously would rather bomb down a hill, how many actually don't mind riding up it. (I mean, if I paid $31 every time I wanted to ride, I'd be friggin broke. Don't you feel you have to earn a downhill sometimes?
    SEE SKINNY-TIRE SPIN. SPIN, SKINNY-TIRE, SPIN! SEE SKINNY-TIRE GET IT WRONG AGAIN! GET IT RIGHT, SKINNY-TIRE, GET IT RIGHT!

    I'll use less complex sentance structure and more monosyllabic (that means shorter) words for you and your "ilk" from Rio Linda. You probably don't get that either.

    I have never claimed that riders don't mind riding uphill. Nor have I claimed that riders don't enjoy climbing in addition to downhill. My claim was that most riders enjoy the downhill more than the uphill. I offered the evidence that riders will pay to avoid the uphill. You offer no evidence to the contrary.

    I think I've said in this thread and others that I only pay to ride at lift-served parks 2 days a year, have shuttled only 2 days in Brian Head and had my wife drop me off a handful of times. Please read my posts again. I know it will push the limits of your attention span and vocabulary but you may get the facts about me correct for once.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,869
    For the umpteenth time, I am well aware of your stance on this issue. Don't assume that because we disagree that I (or whoever) has a short attention span and small vocabulary. It's beneath you, and makes you out to be more of a knob then you appear to be. (But no offense, non-run on sentences and paragraphs make things earier to read.)

    That said, your argument that those who ride uphill (rather than shuttle) should either get out of the downhillers way (and you mask this by claiming it's for safety) or take an easier route (why not take the dirt road up Shultz) is silly at best, and rude at worst. And then to make the claim that because there are things like shuttle companies and ski-lift assisted biking parks is proof that most riders enjoy downhilling more than climbing makes Stretch Armstrong look like Alan Greenspan.

    I think it's obvious your claim that most enjoy dowhilling more than uphilling was pretty much shot down by the number of for and against responses you got. In addition, here's a suggestion: poll riders and ask how many have actually paid to NOT ride their bike more than say once every 3 years (or is your claim that if they paid even ONCE that they obviously enjoy going down versus up?). I will bet my paycheck that the majority would raise their hand. And if that is the case, then can I make the claim that most riders enjoy UPHILLING more than DOWNHILLING? No? Then why can you make the exact counter claim?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    494
    You're the one who put the question to the test on this category. What are your results so far? I'm all for a survey if the question accurately reflects my assertion; which yours did not.(That was my only arguement with you on this thread) I'm all for a survey so let's have one. Assuming mtbers benefit and enjoy all aspects of mtbing to a certain extent, how many of you enjoy the downhill portion of the ride more than the uphill? Mr. mtbreview god, whoever you are, see what you can do about setting up a survey. Still want to bet your paycheck on that question?

    Talk about vague and confusing sentances! I ask for clarification of your suggestion "poll riders and ask how many have actually paid to NOT ride their bike more than once every 3 years." Do you mean paid to not ride their bike uphill by using a shuttle or ski lift or do you mean paid to not ride their bike at all? Your words are unclear to me but I am only a P.E. teacher.

    I think you mean not paid to use a shuttle or ski lift. That poll would have to be limited to areas where such a service or resort was somewhat easily available; let's say within 7 hrs drive perhaps? As you know some parts of the country don't have such services because there are no mountains or at least none worth paying someone to drive you or carry you to the top.

    I make no apologies for my writing style. As a professional educator, I witness first hand the dumbing down of America and the consequent decline in basic skills among our nation's youth. Therefore I will attempt to raise the bar rather than further contribute to the slide back to the stone age. Try to keep up.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryde2live's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    climbing the hill is exactly what i had in mind when i designed this bike....

    that looks alot like a balfa bb7 but maby ime blind on the geomitry aspeckt of it corect me if ime wrong
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,869
    Again, it's a given that those who consider themselves freeriders and downhillers will agree with you. But sure, let's put it to the test. I posted a poll on Passion.

    I make no apologies for my writing style. As a professional educator, I witness first hand the dumbing down of America and the consequent decline in basic skills among our nation's youth. Therefore I will attempt to raise the bar rather than further contribute to the slide back to the stoneage. Try to keep up.

    Do you mean basic skills like using paragraphs and complete sentences that don't go on forever? Dude, you need thicker skin.

  22. #22
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by ryde2live
    that looks alot like a balfa bb7 but maby ime blind on the geomitry aspeckt of it corect me if ime wrong
    they share a concept or two, but from a design aspect they are complety different.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    494
    You spun off another post from my original thread? I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

    Dude, if you think your little jabs at my paragraphs and sentances are even making a dent in my skin, you are mistaken.

    How's this post? Five (6) sentances contained in three (3) paragraphs. I can't slow it down for you anymore.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog
    How's this post? Five (6) sentances contained in three (3) paragraphs. I can't slow it down for you anymore.
    Do I need to remind you of a little comment you made earlier today?
    I make no apologies for my writing style. As a professional educator, I witness first hand the dumbing down of America and the consequent decline in basic skills among our nation's youth. Therefore I will attempt to raise the bar rather than further contribute to the slide back to the stone age. Try to keep up.
    You friggin asked me for a poll, and I gave it to you. What do my results so far show? It really can't be any more clear than that, can it?

  25. #25
    Doesnt ride Banshees
    Reputation: Banshee Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,402
    I love a long ass hike for a rewarding downhill. It sucks the whole way up, everytime i'm climbing i'm like this is retarded i'm turning around, but when i get to the top and get to ride down its worth every bit of it.

    However i did have a very very bad experience riding a new place recently. We thought itd be an hour hike or so with almost a half hours worth of downhill. Turned out we pushed up, over, and around two mountains (totaling about 4 hours of going up) and we only ended up getting 2 minutes of really shitty downhill. Terrible terrible experience, no one really said anything on the way home, there was that vibe "dont say a f**king word, anyone" lmao. Oh well, atleast we learned where not to go hahaha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •