Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Holzfeller crank bols won't stay tight...

750 views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  namaSSte 
#1 ·
anyone else experience this? Just the drive side but I can't get em to stay snug. I had some Stylos on my xc bike a few years back and same problem there. Wound up ruining the cranks because of it and really don't feel like doing that all over again. Anyway, can I just swap the bolts is it a design issue. I can use some loctite but I hate dealing with that stuff. Maybe some thread tape? Just curious what you guys have experienced and what soltuions worked.

Peace.

#2 ·
You should be able to just switch the bolts out as long as you have washers and the right size bolt. ;) Never experienced that with any of my Truvativs. If I were you I'd go with a little bit of loctite, despite you not liking to deal with it it always works. :)

#3 ·
namaSSte said:
anyone else experience this? Just the drive side but I can't get em to stay snug. I had some Stylos on my xc bike a few years back and same problem there. Wound up ruining the cranks because of it and really don't feel like doing that all over again. Anyway, can I just swap the bolts is it a design issue. I can use some loctite but I hate dealing with that stuff. Maybe some thread tape? Just curious what you guys have experienced and what soltuions worked.

Peace.
3 words brother

Lincoln Wirefeed Welder

weld those suckers in, and never worry about em again :D

but really, that sounds odd, I can only say torque the funk out of em, other than that, I have nothing except worthless drivel :cool: :D

#6 ·
namaSSte said:
doh!!!! I almost like Cooters idea better. OK, I'll loctite em. will the blue be enough or do I need that supercharged red gunk?
I say use the red, just not much of it, a little bitty dot on the crank bolt should suffice, grab an 24" breakover and wrench down on the sunuvabiatch and it should stay :D

#7 ·
Cooter. said:
I say use the red, just not much of it, a little bitty dot on the crank bolt should suffice, grab an 24" breakover and wrench down on the sunuvabiatch and it should stay :D
you ever go after a fly with a sledgehammer? just wonderin'! :D

#8 ·
namaSSte said:
you ever go after a fly with a sledgehammer? just wonderin'! :D
I usually like to get out the Raid, you know the kind that squirts like 30 feet, I own the fly population around my house,.........and my neighbor's house,.............and my neighbor past them's house,..........so on and so forth down the block :D

that or those windproof ciggy lighters are pretty cool too, you just can't be too intoxicated when you operate those, the fire hazard goes up exponentially when you are :cool: :D

#10 ·
COmtbiker12 said:
Of course he does. Afterwards he goes to sell his wife/sister that dinner's ready. :p
why do I see this thread beginning its downward spiral? lol! I can see it now, Cooter out running around the neighborhood in a leopard thong (*shivers*), Pabst in one hand, can o' Raid in the other, yelling loudly "you's all my beatches" to the neighborhood fly populace. Meanwhile, his wife tries to 'splain to the cops that he's really quite harmless.

yikes!

#11 ·
Don't use red on anything you want to be able to remove in the future.

I had problems with my XT cranks creaking like crazy, blue-loctited the heck out of the interface and the crank bolts, and it creaks no more.

#13 ·
namaSSte said:
why do I see this thread beginning its downward spiral? lol! I can see it now, Cooter out running around the neighborhood in a leopard thong (*shivers*), Pabst in one hand, can o' Raid in the other, yelling loudly "you's all my beatches" to the neighborhood fly populace. Meanwhile, his wife tries to 'splain to the cops that he's really quite harmless.

yikes!
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Although, I prefer overalls, I can carry more beer that way, plus an extry can o' Raid :D

and sometimes i'll get me a 4 pack of those indoor foggers, get on my bike and duct tape them to the underside of the seat and ride around the 'hood doin a little foggin. Kills all them pesky skeeters, ya know :cool: :D

#14 ·
[and sometimes i'll get me a 4 pack of those indoor foggers, get on my bike and duct tape them to the underside of the seat and ride around the 'hood doin a little foggin. Kills all them pesky skeeters, ya know :cool: :D[/QUOTE]

yeah buuoooyyyy! all 007 like and stuff. Im lmao right now! :) :)

#15 ·
Jm. said:
Don't use red on anything you want to be able to remove in the future.

I had problems with my XT cranks creaking like crazy, blue-loctited the heck out of the interface and the crank bolts, and it creaks no more.
thanks Jm. Maybe I can pick some up at the LBS?? j/k :D :p

#17 ·
You probably over tightened the bolts while installing the cranks and fscked the splines. No amount of loctite will keep them on. You need to buy new cranks and a torque wrench and follow the torque specs from truvativ. I did the same thing to my first set of cranks, but was lucky enough to live minutes from truvativ and they hooked me up with a new set, and scolded me for being dumb.

#18 ·
double on traxxas thoughts…

traxxas said:
You probably over tightened the bolts while installing the cranks and fscked the splines. No amount of loctite will keep them on. You need to buy new cranks and a torque wrench and follow the torque specs from truvativ. I did the same thing to my first set of cranks, but was lucky enough to live minutes from truvativ and they hooked me up with a new set, and scolded me for being dumb.
I have a pair of truvativ stylos on my SS and they have suffered the same fate. See Truvativ uses a softer AL alloy than other crank manufacturers so if the bolts are over torqued or the cranks are just getting old they will start to bottom on the bolts and then they will start to stretch over time to the point that all the loctite in the word will not keep 'em tight. Now the dh cranks are a tad heftier than the stylos but I got 2 years out of two pairs of cranks each on my ss so I figure that a properly torqued crank of DH cranks from truvativ will last about 4 year under normal use and probably 3 under extreme use.

advice: overhaul your bb, chainguide, etc, then carefully loctite them buggers on, then try not to remove them until you are ready to commit to a new set of cranks. If these are under a year old, get 'em back to truvativ and see what they can do. They may want to inspect them or they may just want to replace 'em but the warranty is only 1 year (I think).

good luck.

#19 ·
rockcrusher said:
I have a pair of truvativ stylos on my SS and they have suffered the same fate. See Truvativ uses a softer AL alloy than other crank manufacturers so if the bolts are over torqued or the cranks are just getting old they will start to bottom on the bolts and then they will start to stretch over time to the point that all the loctite in the word will not keep 'em tight. Now the dh cranks are a tad heftier than the stylos but I got 2 years out of two pairs of cranks each on my ss so I figure that a properly torqued crank of DH cranks from truvativ will last about 4 year under normal use and probably 3 under extreme use.

advice: overhaul your bb, chainguide, etc, then carefully loctite them buggers on, then try not to remove them until you are ready to commit to a new set of cranks. If these are under a year old, get 'em back to truvativ and see what they can do. They may want to inspect them or they may just want to replace 'em but the warranty is only 1 year (I think).

good luck.
these cranks are almost brand new, like 1 mth old new. Im not an "over torquer" really but you might be right. Ive learned the hard way on too many parts that over tighterning = bad bad news. When I tighten the bolt, the crank stays put no problem. Its just that the bolt will not stay tight for more than a few rides before I have to re tighten it. Does that sound like what you are talking about or something a little different? YOu got me stressin now man.

#20 ·
re: crank tightness

namaSSte said:
these cranks are almost brand new, like 1 mth old new. Im not an "over torquer" really but you might be right. Ive learned the hard way on too many parts that over tighterning = bad bad news. When I tighten the bolt, the crank stays put no problem. Its just that the bolt will not stay tight for more than a few rides before I have to re tighten it. Does that sound like what you are talking about or something a little different? YOu got me stressin now man.
…since they are real brand new, I would suggest that possibly you may actually be under torquing them and you may also may want to try a little plumbers tape (teflon tape) on the threads before you hit the loctite. do not use the red loctite, on anything that you want to remove again, even just a dot, the repercussions are just too great. use the low or medium strength blue loctite (available from ACE or Home Depot along with teflon/plumbers tape), starting with small applications. You will also want to clean the threads and re-apply every time you pull the bolt. This keeps the interface clean and keeps the loctite uncontaminated.

#21 ·
rockcrusher said:
…since they are real brand new, I would suggest that possibly you may actually be under torquing them and you may also may want to try a little plumbers tape (teflon tape) on the threads before you hit the loctite. do not use the red loctite, on anything that you want to remove again, even just a dot, the repercussions are just too great. use the low or medium strength blue loctite (available from ACE or Home Depot along with teflon/plumbers tape), starting with small applications. You will also want to clean the threads and re-apply every time you pull the bolt. This keeps the interface clean and keeps the loctite uncontaminated.
whew! thanks man. I'll throw some blue on it tonight with the tape and see how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.