mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Highland on gt distortion

I plan on heading to Highland bike park in the next few months. I live in Pennsylvania and ride the dh trails at mountain creek a few times a year. The trouble I'm having is deciding whether to rent a dh bike at highland or to take my bike. I own a gt distortion 2.0 with obviously limited rear suspension. It handles mtn creek but is very rough. I am willing to rent because I want a bike to handle highland very well the day I am there but I am so used to my bike I am not sure whether it is worth it. Help me out

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I would bring it with you if it's not a huge problem.. It's always better to ride some sweet trails on your own bike. If you find out it isn't enough bike, you can always rent one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Most of the trails at Highland are way smoother than creek. But if you are looking for the optimal setup being it may be a special trip, I think you know your answer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The one thing I'm worried about is I have never truly ridden a dh bike. If I rent one will I have trouble? I can hit most drops at creek but I'm not sure whether it will be the same with a dh bike or if I will have trouble with weight, size, etc. Thanks for the response.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirefury12 View Post
    Most of the trails at Highland are way smoother than creek. But if you are looking for the optimal setup being it may be a special trip, I think you know your answer.
    The one thing I'm worried about is I have never truly ridden a dh bike. If I rent one will I have trouble? I can hit most drops at creek but I'm not sure whether it will be the same with a dh bike or if I will have trouble with weight, size, etc. Thanks for the response.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I rode at Highland all last season on my GT Force LE and it was great albeit a bit rough on the more natural trails like Eastern Hemlock and Maiden Voyage. If you rent a dh bike the only problem you are going to have is the overwhelming urge to buy one. Have fun.