mtbr member
    Dec 2008

help me spend money (on parts for new jedi)

so i picked up a new jedi for the 13 season and am starting to put together a list of new parts i will need. here is what i have so far, most of which will swap over from the diggle:

2013 canfield jedi w/g2 chainguide
    CCDB shock
    09 fox 40
    formula the ones brake set
    dt-swiss fr 600 hoops w/15g spokes
    jumping flea front hub
    wtb saddle
    truvativ seat post
    e13 direct mount stem
    answer 780mm bars
    twenty6 or canfiled crampons peddles

what i need and what i'm leaning towards:

rear hub - american classic
    cranks - decendent (what's the difference between gxp and pf30 bb?)
    head set - (internal or external? just personal preference?)
    derailleur - thinking of one of the new clutch setups. do i have to go 10 speed? is the sram or shimano setup better? or just go with a traditional short cage?
    cassette and shifter - if going with above suggestions? if i go with a traditional short cage i have slx shifter and xt cassette
    chain guide - the g2 is coming with the frame but the lopes would save a small amount of weight...
    fork - the 40 at a minimum needs a rebuild. but seriously considering going with the avy cartridge. adds weight but i was really happy with the dhx 5 avy setup i had done last year. i also have some "odd" ware on the stanchions. not scratches but more of a dulling of the coating on the stanchions? ideas?

so if this wasn't too confusing, please feel free to offer up opinions and suggestions. thanks.

pv

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    your fork is wearing from dirt getting inside and sanding away at the stanchions.

all the clutch setups are 10 spd. don't have experience with either brand, but I've heard the sram setup can make a bit of a "clunk" on high chain-growth bikes. not sure how the jedi is in that respect

gxp is the thread-in bb. PF30 would be press-fit.

good luck!

Canfield Brothers
    Yeah bro.. Stoked to have to rocking a Jedi this year!!!

Rear hub - american classic -Ton's of great 150x12 options out there. This is one of them
    Cranks - decendent - You'll want the GXP, (it's their threaded external BB)
    Head set - (internal or external?) - With the Jedi's 1.5 HT, run an internal, I'm a big fan of King or Cane Creek 110
    Derailleur - thinking of one of the new clutch setups -For a Type 2 or Clutch, you'll need a 10 speed setup. I'm running Srams Type 2 this year. I can give a little more feedback on it once my BOS setup arrives and I can FINALLY ride my new Jedi
    Chain guide - We are shipping our 2013's with the new MRP G3. HUGE improvements over the G2SL
    Fork - It sounds like you need a MAJOR rebuild on your 40.
    Shock - I wanted to add this in here, our Jedis are shipping with CCDB Coils that will be based tuned and ready to ride out of the box. I have been working with CC all week on this to ensure the adjustments are preset to settings that we are VERY pleased with. The shocks will also be shipping with a Base Tune Card, that will state those settings for your reference. It's great having a partner like Cane Creek that wants to ensure our customers have a GREAT experience, right from the start!

Be sure to hit us up if you have any other questions!!!

Vin

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thanks for this info and suggestions. think i want to try the clutch derailleur setup so i guess it will be going ten speed. just hope i don't have any chain breakage issues. for some reason i seem to break my chain more often than i should. i read an article/review a couple weeks ago on the two options and the author seemed to like the shimano even though in general he preferred sram. looking forward to checking out the G3. yeah the 40 needs some serious work. when i took it to one of the shops in whistler my last day b/c it wasn't feeling right anymore i think the mech described it as "disgusting". my seals seam to be fine and i read a thread a while back talking about how if the internal DU bushings wear they can cause the stanchions to wear similar to how mine are. need to see if i can find that thread again. depending on what all is needed i could see how it would quickly become cheaper/easier/smarter to replace the fork rather than repair it. i could probably pick up a used 40 for a decent price. or boxxer for that matter. need to dig into it and see what the deal is.

vin, really looking forward to trying the CCDB. did we talk about what spring i needed? i don't remember. i float around 195 in the buff so i'm well over 200 once i'm all geared up.

thanks again.

pv

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would get a new 40 if you liked them before, by the time you get new lowers or even new bushings and new stantions if needed it is not worth keeping the rest. Also the new 40 with the inverted FIT cartridge feel better for some reason,

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by ak pura vida View Post
    vin, really looking forward to trying the CCDB. did we talk about what spring i needed? i don't remember. i float around 195 in the buff so i'm well over 200 once i'm all geared up.
    Sean will be reaching out to all our customers on our Jedi pre-order list this week to get everyone dialed in with the correct spring rates. At 200, we'd put you on a 450.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check with Go Ride, out of Salt Lake City, Utah if you want a new 40. Them usually have the best price.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

what i need and what i'm leaning towards:

rear hub - american classic Canfield 9t Micro Drive
    cranks - decendent (what's the difference between gxp and pf30 bb?) X0 Carbon DH 165mm - pf30 is an internal press-fit bearing, Jedi has an 83mm and needs the GXP
    head set - (internal or external? just personal preference?) depends on steer tube, I like the CC 110 or Angleset
    derailleur - thinking of one of the new clutch setups. do i have to go 10 speed? is the sram or shimano setup better? or just go with a traditional short cage?
    cassette and shifter - if going with above suggestions? if i go with a traditional short cage i have slx shifter and xt cassette Go with a 9 speed short cage, then you have your choice of shimano triggers, sram triggers, or sram twist shift (my only choice). Then you can also get the 9 speed caprio cassette with your C2 Hub and it's 9t-26t. You will also need to remove the spider from your X0 crank and get a MRP Bling Ring 32t to drive it. This is the best available drive for DH as far as I'm concerned. You can also move up to a 10 spd but imo the only gain you would have is more climbing gears and availability of the Type 2 clutch.
    chain guide - the g2 is coming with the frame but the lopes would save a small amount of weight... Get the guys to send your frame with the G2 SL Micro, lightest and smallest available, 28-32t size, saves an inch over the G2 and 1/2 inch over the SL. Works flawlessly with the X0 crank and bling ring 28-32t
    fork - the 40 at a minimum needs a rebuild. but seriously considering going with the avy cartridge. adds weight but i was really happy with the dhx 5 avy setup i had done last year. i also have some "odd" ware on the stanchions. not scratches but more of a dulling of the coating on the stanchions? ideas? New stantions can be had fairly cheap, and for sure get the avy cart if you can.

so if this wasn't too confusing, please feel free to offer up opinions and suggestions. thanks.

pv
    This will be my transmission, check out a gearing calc and see, the 9t is a godsend!

Glad to Be Alive
    spending more money is costly....I have some wonder parts for you....you send me money and then wonder where your parts are

just so you know those wonder parts are very lite too

please send money now
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thanks for the input rage i'll take it into consideration. and, well, not so much SMT...

pv

Glad to Be Alive
    thanks for the input rage i'll take it into consideration. and, well, not so much SMT...

pv
    ahh man...It was for the pizza, beer, tequilla and hooker fund....which I was gladly going to share.....you should reconsider
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I have the saint on my Turner Highline - haven't DH'd it yet due to snow (just installed a few days ago), but I like the shift action vs. the Sram. You have the option of shifting 2 at a time when shifting to higher gears. The shimano lacks the really positive "click" that the Sram X-9 shifter has, but it does have nice action. Lighter upshifts (upshifts meaning "to bigger cogs") with the Saint vs. the Sram. The Saint RD is a work of freaking art. Very burly looking. Can't wait to ride with it.

I've heard the Zee stuff is more or less as good, just slightly heavier. Might want to consider that & send the dough you saved to SMT for the PBTH fund . . . Who doesn't like a nice drunken hooker with pizza breath every now and then?

I use a clutched X9 on my trail bike. No issues regarding the noise for me. The X9 has a little button you push that locks the cage forward for tire changes (Shimano gives you the option to disengage the clutch with a little lever instead of keeping cage forward). The button-thing is frikkin wonderful. All RD's should have them IMO.

I REALLY REALLY like the clutched RD's. Definitely worth the dough IMO.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    thanks for the opinion, i'll consider it. hell, beer and hookers, why didn't you say that the first time! the check is in the mail...

pv

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No body wants you Clapped out hookers SMT!
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    No body wants you Clapped out hookers SMT!
    ballons man...ballons....keeps the barnicles off the rig !!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I've warrantied 5+ American Classic hubs this past year due to the disc mount tabs twisting apart....all with 6" rotors. Running a 7" or 8" disc would be suicide. American Classic= Taiwanese Junk.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    good to know. maybe i'll try the wtb hub.

pv

MTB SOCAL
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingtonVT View Post
    Sean will be reaching out to all our customers on our Jedi pre-order list this week to get everyone dialed in with the correct spring rates. At 200, we'd put you on a 450.
    Are the recommended spring rates for a 2012 Jedi different from a 2013 Jedi? I recently purchased a 2012 Jedi and Sean put me on a CCDB with a 350# spring (I weigh 180). Is this correct, or should I be looking for a 400# spring?
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    You kids never listen? Hadley is always the correct hub choice for DH.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter View Post
    You kids never listen? Hadley is always the correct hub choice for DH.
    Just ordered the Hadleys for my Jedi build!