Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Help me how to whip.

Looking for some advise on how to get more sideways. Yes, I've seen, searched some videos on how to do moto whips but, I can't still whip it to a wow factor whip.

I did notice that the ones who can get sideways have their head "straight" and tweak the bar followed by the hips. I tend to twist my head just after twisting the bar, after that I can see the back end of the bike. I think that's why I'm having the false sensation that I have gone sideways but, not as sideways enough.

So, looking for some pointers:

1. Should I have my head, eyes as stationary as possible and minimize looking back?
    2. What do you focus more on, upper body or twisting the hips?

Tips, pointers will be truly appreciated.
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Try initiating the rotation earlier off the lip of the take off, as if doing a 360. Then once you're in the air look straight toward the landing.

mtbr member
    Yup, its all about pushing into the face of the jump on takeoff. I ride into the jump almost as if its gonna be a hip jump to the left (whipping right), preload hard on the back tire (most important part), and just as the back wheel leaves the dirt - push out with my legs and pull in on the bars, such that the rotation point of the bike is just about the middle of the top tube. To pull the whip back, push out and back towards center with the bars and pull on the pedals with your feet to get the rear end back.

Ian Bergman at Boondocks in San Luis Obispo, California, United States - photo by ibergman - Pinkbike starting the whip - pull bars back and sideways, feet out
    Ian Bergman at Livewire in Tahoe, California, United States - photo by ibergman - Pinkbike ending the whip - push the bars back to center and pull feet towards yourself. (photos approx. 1 year apart, lol)

Moral of the story, the whip starts before takeoff, not midair. Hope that helps some!

And definitely not me, but copy this guy at 1:41 Dustin Gilding - The Revealing :: PT.1 Video - Pinkbike
    Gnar Cal!

mtbr member
    plus whips are more fun when you get the "oh S***t" feeling right before you land.

mtbr member
    Do you guys approach the lip crouched, like trying to squash it or more upright position?
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Wow, that Dustin Gliding video blew my mind. Awesome trail and riding. Gonna try and tweak my "technique", hopefully get some decent steeze...attempt to that is.
    Folangag

Downhill fan
    Dustin killing berms @ 2:05! That is a great slo-mo ship @ 1:41 though!
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

brake later, pedal sooner
    if i'm hipping left (whipping to the right), as i'm going off the lip i tuck my right side handlebar into my left hip, and twist my hips/butt to the outside as i do this. my weight is mostly on the outside pedal as well..

as you start to descend from the apex of the jump start untwisting to bring it back.

being comfortable and loose is the key to doing it. the more you think about it when practicing the stiffer you'll be. just have fun and you'll get better with time!

C S
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by igotbanned View Post
    Yup, its all about pushing into the face of the jump on takeoff. I ride into the jump almost as if its gonna be a hip jump to the left (whipping right)
    That's a big thing right there. I always refer to it as carving off the lip. Whipping right - ride into the jump at a bit of a right angle and start carving left as you get on the jump. Keep it going off the lip. The more you exaggerate your body motion and the harder you push with your legs/pull with your arms, the bigger the whip.

You can kind of see two parts of this going on in this picture. I (wearing the camera) am turned just a bit to the right as I get into the jump while you can see how my buddy has his legs extended/arms pulled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me how to whip.-jake_supreme_scaled.jpg  

7MGTE

any of you?

Quote Originally Posted by C S View Post
    That's a big thing right there. I always refer to it as carving off the lip. Whipping right - ride into the jump at a bit of a right angle and start carving left as you get on the jump. Keep it going off the lip. The more you exaggerate your body motion and the harder you push with your legs/pull with your arms, the bigger the whip.

You can kind of see two parts of this going on in this picture. I (wearing the camera) am turned just a bit to the right as I get into the jump while you can see how my buddy has his legs extended/arms pulled.
    Any pics of you whipping?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Any tips for bringing the whip back? I can get halfway to sideways, maybe even a bit more sometimes, but am afraid to go further because I don't always bring it back in time and have had some close calls as a result. I've been told to twist past the center point in the opposite direction of whip when bringing it back if I need to bring it back more. I know I can land on the front wheel to ride it out, but that only gets you so far.

mtbr member
    ^^^ more air = more time to make adjustments, but you'd have to have a large sac for getting that sideways.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm trying these on everything up to a 35ft jump we have so I think that's plenty of air. Didn't wanna test it on the 50ft Crabapple hits until I got it dialed. I'm missing something in my technique for bringing it back. Just need a bit more practice I guess.

Roll on Spring Time!
    I might be wrong and I am not the best whipper snapper but I have found that I cannot rotate my bike for a hip or whip unless my bike is leaned over slightly, kinda like a giro effect. Bringing my bike back other than counter steering I find it helps to push out on the opposite hand/grip and not just turning the bars.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hope this helps, this is how I whip, written for whipping to the left, as pictured.

Off the lip, drop your right shoulder a bit and pop the lip as you leave it.
    Turn the bars to the right, and rotate your shoulders, and hips, slightly to the right as well.
    Depending on how much time you have turn your bars to the left halfway through the jump
    (The pictured jump is only 15' so I didn't make it to 90*)
    This will kick the rear end out a bit more and then start straightening the bike.
    Ideally the bike will be back straight but if not push the front down or tap the brakes to bring the nose down, If you land front wheel first and you are looking ahead you can land completely sideways without issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me how to whip.-w1.jpg  

Help me how to whip.-w2.jpg  

Help me how to whip.-w3.jpg  

Help me how to whip.-w4.jpg  

Help me how to whip.-w5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Depends which way I'm whipping. I ride left foot forward, and when I whip to the right I really try to lean like I'm hitting a hip jump and really try to throw my hips and get a nice bar turn to help the motion. When I whip left I try to do the same off the lip. When in the air I turn my bars to the right and make sure to get my shoulders turning too and it really lets me get my hips engaged and the bike really flys sideways. I'm just learning and everyones technique is different. And ways of describing it for that matter. Thats what's so cool about a whip though because everyone has a different style.

I also agree with ustemuf's comment about thinking too much and remaining loose. You always keep in mind what the motion looks like, the key is to stay loose on the bike and not think too much in the moment about the whip. At least that's what worked and is working for me.
    Last edited by csermonet; 11-09-2012 at 11:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by genemk View Post
    Any tips for bringing the whip back? I can get halfway to sideways, maybe even a bit more sometimes, but am afraid to go further because I don't always bring it back in time and have had some close calls as a result. I've been told to twist past the center point in the opposite direction of whip when bringing it back if I need to bring it back more. I know I can land on the front wheel to ride it out, but that only gets you so far.
    Yeah, just get more air. Learned that the hard way breaking my shoulder off my arm at Post Canyon - got 90 deg sideways but did not have enough air to get the front tire back down straight ahead and slammed into the next hit's woodwork.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

beater
    Yeah, that video is rad. I missed it the first time around; thanks for the link.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

brake later, pedal sooner
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbike8 View Post
    Hope this helps, this is how I whip, written for whipping to the left, as pictured.

Off the lip, drop your right shoulder a bit and pop the lip as you leave it.
    Turn the bars to the right, and rotate your shoulders, and hips, slightly to the right as well.
    Depending on how much time you have turn your bars to the left halfway through the jump
    (The pictured jump is only 15' so I didn't make it to 90*)
    This will kick the rear end out a bit more and then start straightening the bike.
    Ideally the bike will be back straight but if not push the front down or tap the brakes to bring the nose down, If you land front wheel first and you are looking ahead you can land completely sideways without issue.
    you can get 90 on that jump

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    here you go matey, see how the pro's do it. hope this helps you.
    Coastal Crew: How to do a Whip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    you can get 90 on that jump

That's what I'm aiming for, nice whipper snapper Ustemuf! BTW, hope you're recovering from your injury.

I got some decent jumps to get "more air", the lips on my jumps aren't that wide to carve off though. Now i just need to grow bigger balls to commit getting a 90. Gonna keep in mind all the tips discussed here.

Curtis makes it look so easy
    Folangag

Moose Member
    my friend learned how to whip way before I did. We rode together all the time, same spots, same times, but somehow he picked it up way quicker. he carves the lip hard, and gets the bike really sideways, then somehow pulls it back. I dunno how he does it. I tried carving the lip a few times, and found myself off balance every time. My friend tried teaching me his way, and I couldn't get it. I started getting really frustrated. I just kinda said screw it, i don't care about whipping, I just care about having fun... and let it go for a while.

I recently found a nice step and decided to try some whips off it. within an hour or two I was whipping like crazy. I hit the lip strait on, and pull the bars back, while pushing forward with my legs. I don't carve the lip or anything. It's a unique style, and (IMO) doesn't look as good as the carvy whips, but at least its something...

I guess what I'm trying to say, is don't get frustrated. If you can't get it, let it go for a while and come back to it. while i was trying backflips into the foampit at whistler, almost everyone I talked to said it took them two times at the foampit to get backflips. They said they get annoyed and frustrated, give up (in a way) and come back to it later, only to nail them right away.

Whips are a unique thing. Look at pros. a lot of them have differing techniques. There's no right or wrong technique. it something that's hard to teach. Just work on it and give it time.

heres some of mine..

Help me how to whip.-step-up-001-1.jpg
    Help me how to whip.-step-up-006.jpg
    Help me how to whip.-step-up-sequence.jpg
    Help me how to whip.-step-up-sequence-002.jpg

and a short vidya (skip to about 18 seconds in)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nice pics Moosey! Got a backflip on 4th try at the Whistler foam pit. My friend and I were pretty shocked. Now as for trying it on dirt. Not sure I'm willing to go for it just yet.

bike rider
    One footed 2001.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me how to whip.-one-footed-table.jpg  

I got some pretty decent Niners!

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by genemk View Post
    Nice pics Moosey! Got a backflip on 4th try at the Whistler foam pit. My friend and I were pretty shocked. Now as for trying it on dirt. Not sure I'm willing to go for it just yet.
    Wow, I got it on my 9th or 10th try. I crushed my nuts and split my knee open too. I'm not taking it to dirt yet lol. Plus I want to try it on a resi-ramp first. Luckily, woodward tahoe is about 1.5 hours away, and they have indoor foam and resi, so expect to see a backflip attempt (attempt being a key word) to dirt next summer.

Back to the thread... How's the whips coming?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast