mtbr member

Help me find a new rear wheel. :(

Hey guys, after finishing a ride the other day, I noticed that all of a sudden there was a lot of lateral play in the rear end of my '12 SX Trail. When I got home I pulled the rear wheel off and it turns out that's where the play was -- mostly on the drive side of the hub.

I took the cassette off and immediately found that I had no idea how to remove the freehub body (it's been awhile since I worked at a bike shop, and now everything is different). Anyway, thinking it was just a bearing issue, I took it to the shop at which I purchased the bike.

When they got back to me, they said that there was a cracked part inside the freehub body, and that the hub is basically toast. So, new hub + laceup....or a new wheel. (I'm going to go in and have a look at it myself today to see if I agree with that assessment )

After digging a bit I've found that many people seem to have had problems with this Specialized Hi/Lo disc hub. I am hesitant to replace it with the same thing. That's ridiculous to have to replace a whole hub due to one part failing! I guess I'll have to wait and see what, if anything, Specialized will do to help me out. I realize I am outside the warranty period.

Anyway, I need a 142mm spaced, 12mm thru-axle hub or wheel. I tried looking online last night but the results were not very fruitful. Additionally, this couldn't have come at a worse time, financially. I definitely can't afford a $500 wheel (and it seems, that is no longer even a midrange wheel), nor can I stand the thought of purchasing something that will just break down again. WTF has happened to bike industry pricing? I found a $3500 wheelset last night...seriously??? Does it give post-ride b.j.s???
    HEY BIKE INDUSTRY: WE'RE NOT ALL CEOs !!!

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Yeah man it's a lot more fun to spend money for an upgrade than to fix something.

A Stan's rear wheel with a ztr hub and a flow or arch is about $350 retail, but better deals can sometimes be found on Ebay. I got a front and rear wheelset for $425 a few years ago.

Stan's has a 3.30 and 3.30HD hub. If you are over 190 lbs and / or are hard on hubs, get the 3.30 HD, otherwise the 3.30 should be fine. The reason I say this is that I have a friend that is 180ish, rides really hard and has had zero issues with the 3.30 hub. However I'm 225 and have been through several drive-side bearings in the last 2 years. The 3.30 HD has larger bearings.

mtbr member
    ^^I am about 210 pounds with gear (still trying to drop some weight though). I have never been hard on hubs nor wheels. I ride very aggressively but I've always been talented at finding smooth lines + won't do jumps or drops that don't have good transitions. I do not spend much time at lift-accessed parks, but rather ride up and bomb down back-country trails. So I need something fairly light but strong enough to occasionally charge through considerable gnar. $300-350 would be at the upper end of what I could handle spending.

I looked at a Stan's ZTR Flow rear wheel for $300 on PricePoint, but I wasn't sure if it was 12mm thru-axle or a 142mm spacing -- it didn't say.

Is my 2012 bike already obsolete/no parts available? What is the standard spacing/axle diameter for DH rear-ends now?

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I have to admit that I ride my bike with no regard to the rear hub or bike for that matter...sometimes on the edge of control and bad lines over big rocks. And occasionally give it hell when ratcheting. So sounds like the 3.30 would be fine for you.

The Stan's hubs are convertible but you will need to buy a conversion kit.

Stan's conversion for 3.30 hub and 12x142 rear: 12x142mm Conversion for ZTR/3.30/3.30Ti Rear Hub

For 3.30HD hub and 12x142 rear: 12x142mm Conversion for Stan's 3.30HD 12x135mm Rear Hub

Maybe the seller could do a deal with the conversion kit? Also, I would think there might be some cheaper options for a good solid rear wheel; we will see if anyone chimes in.

mtbr member
    ^^I do appreciate your input. I like the idea of a Stan's rim anyway, because it would be nice to run tubeless in the rear at least. I'm not sure I'll ever run tubeless in the front again, as when I tried the ghetto method I had a puncture once and my front tire rolled off the rim immediately as I entered a corner...at around 25 mph.

We'll see if I can just get a Specialized replacement. But it's nice to know what's available at what price if they come back and say "that'll be $550..."

mtbr member
    The problem is not going with something so cheap that you blow it out again, thus wasting even more money than if you had bought a good wheel, while not overspending simply for the 'enve' factor. I'm not a huge fan of Stans rims myself, as they seem really flexy to me on things like g-outs and bermed corners. Never tried their hubs. In terms of bang for the buck, I really like Hope hubs a lot. You can get them with the correct bushings for 142 x 12 thru-axles, they're super low maintenance, and very durable. I've beaten mine down and they are still in perfect condition. Oh, and they sound nice, which is always a plus. Lace that up to something inexpensive and reliable like a DT Swiss F630 rim, and you'll have a bombproof, reasonably light, and very good wheel for years to come. Hope Pro2 Evo hubs can be found under $200 (worth quite a bit more, if you take into account how long they last), and the rim is about $70. Adding in spokes will have it right around $320ish. That will be a wheel that will last you for a very long time. If Steve Peat chooses to run Hopes on his world cup race bikes, you know they're 1) light, and 2) going to last.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    ^^Indeed. I hate cheap stuff! But it seems that it used to be the more affordable stuff wasn't terribly low on quality -- it was just heavier. I've always been a fan of those Hope hubs -- they sound tasty!

I stopped by the shop today and they showed me the crack in my freehub and said it *might* be a part they can replace. *Fingers crossed*

If they can't fix it, I'll definitely bit the bullet and buy something that will last.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I blew my tire off the rim a few years ago using the ghetto method as well. Me and several of my friends are running Flow EX rims and have had absolutely zero issues. It did take me some time to trust them completely though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I say get a set of Canfield AM wheels. I rode their DH wheel set for over a year and never had to true them. Rode on a flat for a while and the rim never even had one sign of an issue. Their hubs are super smooth and the wheels look awesome. At $350 for a set they are an amazing value. This way your current front wheel can be a spare. I had debated on running some high end wheels but glad I saved hundreds of $$ and went with the Canfields.

Canfield Brothers All Mountain Wheelsets

mtbr member
    Well, it turns out my broken freehub can be replaced. Specialized is sending everything I need free of charge.

The shop is still going to charge me for the labor and new bearings (which it needs anyway), and I'm good with that. I still might look into a new wheelset for next year if money somehow magically appears (unlikely). It might be nice to have a slightly more "all mountain" wheelset to try to get my SX Trail under 35 pounds. As mentioned earlier, I don't do much lift-accessed riding, and there are only a handful of trails locally that could potentially be hard on wheels. I have never taco'd a wheel and I used to do REAL stupid stuff on bikes (we're talking Redbull-Rampage-level drops/jumps).

Are there any wheelsets that are still wide enough to have the same tire profile as my Roval DH set, while being significantly lighter....and sub-$500 for the set???

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    hope pro 2, they bullet proof, relativly cheap,,, easy to work on and service, and all parts readily available,,,

if hope is out of your price range, i hear good things about the superstar wheels, they look like hope copies, though i personally have no experiance with these,
    all my bikes run hope for 3 reasons, price, reliability, ease of parts and service.

mtbr member
    For anyone interested,

Specialized just paid for a new Sram X9 hub, and my wheel rebuild. They didn't have any stock of my freehub or hub in general so they reimbursed the shop for an X9 and their labor. So I paid $23 for basically a new high-end wheel except for my old Roval rim. Not a bad deal, not at all.

Don't say Specialized never hooked anybody up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice score....not a specialized fan or hater but a company that big has the cash and "should" take care of their customers. Still might be a good idea to have a cheap backup set just to keep you on the bike.

Racer
    specialized has always taken care of me when i used to own a demo 8. I had one of the earlier models that was prone to stress cracking at the top of the ribcage. they replaced it twice, second time with a newer model with no issues.