Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

help choosing a bike: Quake 7.8 vs Stab Deluxe

Yeah, I know, I'm sure there are plenty of threads like this, but I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for yet. I don't have a whole lot of experience with mountain bikes, but I do ride dirtbikes, so I'm hoping some of that experience will transfer over.

I've got it down to two bikes that seem pretty good, for a decent price, the Kona Stab Deluxe, and the Marin Quake 7.8. From what I can tell, the Quake seems to be a bit more freeride biased, and the Stab more down hill. I want to do both types of riding, but I'm not sure what I'll be doing more of yet. I also want to screw around, around town a bit, so I'd like to be able to peddle at least halfway decently.

My question I guess, is basically, how do these bikes compare? Handling, peddling, jumping(or landing, rather), components? I'm probably missing something important here that I should consider, but its way to late for me to think of it right now.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Ideas Above My Station...
    I don't have much experience on Marins, only my friends Mount Vision, but i have ridden the Stab lots, and i have to say its pretty damn awesome. I know its pretty tank-like, and agricultural, and not very flash in todays market, but as long as you've got the brake bar on it, it flies.

Having now sold my 951 to get back some much needed cash while i'm barely riding, i will be buying a Stab Deluxe soon (2nd hand or possibly the current one but its out of stock EVERYWHERE in the UK as its such a screaming bargain).

It really is a great bike, but i wouldn't want to pedal it too much, just as its pretty slack, with plenty of travel as any DH bike is, and if freeriding is your thing i'd go for something less dedicated, a little lighter, maybe even single crown, depending on what you ride.

A really reliable, straight forward, fast DH BIKE.
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

mtbr member
    I have never ridden a stab before but i have a Marin Quake 7.2 as my dh bike.
    It is long, stable, and it feels like a mini plow bike! And it pedals really well for a big bike.
    You can put on everything from 160 to 200 mm travel up front.
    I have it set up with a boxxer and use it like a dh bike.
    Shaums March actually won the master world champs on a Quake set up with a Fox 40.
    Sorry for the bad grammar..
    Hi

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    if you're pedaling up the hills on a regular basis, the quake is better. It pedals a million times better. If you're doing slow speed tech, I probably lean towards the marin.

If you're doing high speed chunder, high speed jumps and drops, and shuttling alot, I'd steer towards the stab (one roommate has a quake, the other has a stab). The stab is long, low, slack, and you sit "in" the cockpit. Its definitely a plow bike, but I have no idea why that phrase is a bad thing. Being able to hold your speed in berms and rock gardens because a bike can monster truck over everything is rad.

mtbr member
    I really hope you are looking at the 2010 Marin quake 7.8, it feels a lot better outa the box than the 09. As William42 said, if you dont ride downhill all the time the Quake would be a great choice, but if you want to ride the gnar get the stab. I know the new quake they gave it slackers angles for '10 so it would do pretty well for a good amount of downhill trails. That being said, if you like adjusting your shock a lot for different trails and conditions dont get the Marin. The rear swingarm buries the shock in the frame and is difficult to make simple changes.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    if you're pedaling up the hills on a regular basis, the quake is better. It pedals a million times better. If you're doing slow speed tech, I probably lean towards the marin.

If you're doing high speed chunder, high speed jumps and drops, and shuttling alot, I'd steer towards the stab (one roommate has a quake, the other has a stab). The stab is long, low, slack, and you sit "in" the cockpit. Its definitely a plow bike, but I have no idea why that phrase is a bad thing. Being able to hold your speed in berms and rock gardens because a bike can monster truck over everything is rad.
    agree......Honestly you should look into a Stinky or Coiler ...A coiler would be the easiest pedaling bike and still does a decent job downhill.

either way you go....don't buy new...get something used....ride it and if you don't like it then just sale it and try another
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for all the help guys, I really needed it. I went to the shop today and tried out a left over '09 Kona Stinky. There wasn't any dirt or anything to really ride over, just a parking lot, but I was pretty impressed. I did notice the bike bob when I stood up and peddeled hard, but honestly not as bad as I was expecting(though that might be a result of my lack of experience). The one I tried was a 15.5, and I thought it was decently sized, but I'm gonna go back and try the next size up to see if that might fit better, I'm about 6' tall. Over all, I really liked the bike and think I might end up getting one of these. They're asking $1799, is that a good price?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I took the Stab out this weekend (first ride). It was a blast. Prior comments pretty much
    nailed what the bike can do/does on the trail.

I'm 6'4", all legs and my knuckles drag. I built up a large. I have the shock set in the back
    position (64 degree HA) and the seat positioned all the way back on the rails. I fit.

Truly a blast to ride. Yeah, you can plow, though I try to pick clean lines. yeah, there is some ped bob, but that was expected. it is a downhill rig.

I think you should try the Quake 7.8, just to make certain. Fitment is important.

Rudi

mtbr member
    OP, the Stinky 15.5" is a size small, I'm pretty sure a medium or even a large would fit you better. $1800 is the average price for a Stinky.

Now, $1800 can buy you a much better bike (used) if you look a little harder.
    Do you feel lucky? do you, punk?- Dirty Harry

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah, I know it's a small, I'm going in on Saturday to check out the next size up.

Can you give me an example of what I might want to look for, if I go used? Just name some bikes, don't bother searching, I'll do that part. Are pinkbike and mtbr the best places to look for classifieds?

Yeah, they don't sell Quakes, they do sell some other Marins though. The only other shop I know of that has a pretty good selection of bikes, doesn't carry Marin.

mtbr member
    If that shop has marins in stock, they can most likely get a quake. If you are riding all lift accessed stuff and shuttling, get a stab. I have talked to people who have owned quakes and they are simply not a pure dh bike like a stab.

mtbr member
    http://www.marinbikes.com/2010/bike_...serialnum=1486

They seem really overpriced?

I thought you could get an intense 951 with a really pimp set up for 4g.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I own a stab deluxe and has the shock set in the rear position, it rides better here in Az with all the rock and nare we have. I love it, I also owned a stinky before and loved it also. That being said I have only owned konas and am biased on them both.

Go for the stab if you want the dedicated DH, stinky if you want a little of both. Kona is good.

mtbr member
    been selling both Kona and Marin for more than 7 years --- l would take the Marin, any day of the week. The Marin's suspension is far more advanced than anything Kona puts out. Kona has some interesting designs but the Marin works better.

it's a better all-round bike and the crazy part of it, it climbs like nobody's business.
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    l'll PM ya...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTsane(the original)
    Thanks for all the help guys, I really needed it. I went to the shop today and tried out a left over '09 Kona Stinky. There wasn't any dirt or anything to really ride over, just a parking lot, but I was pretty impressed. I did notice the bike bob when I stood up and peddeled hard, but honestly not as bad as I was expecting(though that might be a result of my lack of experience). The one I tried was a 15.5, and I thought it was decently sized, but I'm gonna go back and try the next size up to see if that might fit better, I'm about 6' tall. Over all, I really liked the bike and think I might end up getting one of these. They're asking $1799, is that a good price?

Thanks
    I
    am just over 6 feet and loved the 20 inch......you might want the 18 inch as the smallest....the bike will bob....but it is a bigger bike and that is what you get,....you can get a platform shock to help that out.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    They're asking $1799, is that a good price?

Thanks
    check this out at wheel world

Glad to Be Alive

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Thanks, but the biggest they have is a 16, which also happens to be the biggest one the shop has.

By the way, how'd you manage to post between two other posts that were hours old?

Glad to Be Alive
    Thanks, but the biggest they have is a 16, which also happens to be the biggest one the shop has.

By the way, how'd you manage to post between two other posts that were hours old?
    posted at different times...IMO don't get the 16..that is really small

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    posted at different times...IMO don't get the 16..that is really small
    If I read their sizing chart correctly, the biggest frame they have for the '09 stinky is 17, I'm not sure if that's the case on the other years. I honestly didn't feel cramped on the 15.5, but then again I am used to sitting as far forward, up on the tank, on my supermoto and dirt bikes as I can get, with the bars right in front of me. I am a bit worried about the 16 being too small, but does one inch extra really make that much of a difference? Also, I was told once or I read it somewhere, I can't remember which, that for my hight I would need a large for everything except FR/DH, where I'd be better off with a medium.

I'm going back to check it out on Saturday, what's the best way to tell if it's too small?

mtbr member
    Yeah, they don't sell Quakes, they do sell some other Marins though. The only other shop I know of that has a pretty good selection of bikes, doesn't carry Marin.
    For the best deal on the Quake check out Pedalshop.

I had a Quake, pedals great, and feels like it has more than 6.7 of travel going DH like some have already mentioned. I also find it easy getting air on the bike.

Both bikes look funky, but the marin looks way better in person.

As for fitting, I think the quake fits you better, the quake's geo is bigger compared to other brands, leaning more towards taller people imo.
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What do you guys think of the Santa Cruz Bullit? The shop by where I work said they could do a build on a Bullit frame. Is this a bike that you can get a used frame for easily?

mtbr member
    What do you guys think of the Santa Cruz Bullit? The shop by where I work said they could do a build on a Bullit frame. Is this a bike that you can get a used frame for easily?
    santa cruz vs quake 7.8................get the 7.8 cuz of the geometry...its better for tall people
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
    i just love this

mtbr member
    SC's using a really old suspension design there... really nice............... back in the day...

back when purple anodize was new to the market

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast