mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Help!!! 2010 V10 or 2010 Glory for Novice?

Hi There!

So... the title says it all...

I've been riding all mountain and trail for a year now, and just got bit by the DH bug at Mountain Creek in NJ a month ago.

Not here to debate which bike is "the best"... I'm just looking for some help choosing.

So, components aside, which bike would be better suited for someone who's learning? My local DH is mostly hard pack trail with tons of berms, jumps, and some freeride stuff.

I know they are both well-respected, race-oriented bikes, but I'm looking for the more stable of the two, and the one that's more forgiving of botched lines and landings, etc.

I don't need to go fast or big right now, but I know both of these bikes do each well, so I also know I can grow into their potential awesomeness.

Both are well- spec'd deals for around $2300.00.

Thoughts?

Uphill? What's that
    For pure dh racing the V10.. For park riding I would go with the Glory.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    For pure dh racing the V10.. For park riding I would go with the Glory.
    Like I said, I don't expect to be pinning it and getting huge air anytime soon...

Between the two, I just want the one that's better suited for all-around lift access/shuttle riding.

Sounds like the Glory is the better choice for my situation?

But what about those two additional inches of travel on the V10? Would that much more travel help or hurt a DH n00b?

Anyone else care to chime in?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Which one do you like riding the best?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I've never ridden a Glory, but I've owned a V10 v.2 and V10 v.4. I can say this, if you're looking to jump, it's a bit difficult to do on this bike. You really have to preload the suspension to get air or go really fast. The V10 doesn't handle well going slow either.

Now, if you're not afraid to go fast, well the V10 is your machine. It begs to go fast, then faster. The faster you go, the better the bike gets. The handling comes alive at speed and it gets easier to loft. The newer V10's allow you to shorten the travel to 8.5". In that set up, the bike is a lot more playfull and easier to throw around.

I've also ridden a Turner DHR (round tube, pre DW) and found that bike to be very forgiving. It's so easy to ride and handles well at any speed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    Which one do you like riding the best?
    Good question!

I've ridden neither... but I did ride a rented GT Fury, immediately after which I decided to purchase a DH rig of my own. Throughout my research, it appears that the Glory and the V10 are two of the most highly regarded.

The problem with trying either of these bikes is that it's really not that easy... It's not like hopping down to my local Specialized dealer (who doesn't have one nearby )and riding one in the parking lot.

There are no Santa Cruz or Giant dealers anywhere near me, and I'm not gonna drive an hour to my local DH park and stop some random dude in the parking lot and ask him if I can hop on his $4000 bike.

Also, I'm buying used via online listings, so nothing is local to me.

So while advisable, the whole "ride and decide" approach isn't really going to work here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Help!!! 2010 V10 or 2010 Glory for Novice?

You might be surprised. Many bikers are quite friendly and might let you take a quick spin. I would probably recommend an inexpensive route in the $1500 range or less for a first bike until you find your bearings and what you like to do. Get a season under your belt and then decide if you like bombing down rocks, flying through the air or just cruising the smoothies and make your decision then.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SprocketHead View Post
    I've never ridden a Glory, but I've owned a V10 v.2 and V10 v.4. I can say this, if you're looking to jump, it's a bit difficult to do on this bike. You really have to preload the suspension to get air or go really fast. The V10 doesn't handle well going slow either.

Now, if you're not afraid to go fast, well the V10 is your machine. It begs to go fast, then faster. The faster you go, the better the bike gets. The handling comes alive at speed and it gets easier to loft. The newer V10's allow you to shorten the travel to 8.5". In that set up, the bike is a lot more playfull and easier to throw around.

I've also ridden a Turner DHR (round tube, pre DW) and found that bike to be very forgiving. It's so easy to ride and handles well at any speed.
    Thanks SprocketHead!

That's really valuable info. Since I'm not gonna be hauling the mail anytime soon, and in order to master basic jumping skills, I'll need a bike that doesn't mind going slow and is easy to loft.

I'm aware of Turner, I just don't see very many used Turners around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You might be surprised. Many bikers are quite friendly and might let you take a quick spin. I would probably recommend an inexpensive route in the $1500 range or less for a first bike until you find your bearings and what you like to do. Get a season under your belt and then decide if you like bombing down rocks, flying through the air or just cruising the smoothies and make your decision then.
    Fryed,

I found a 2010 Demo 8 for $1900. Any input?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Look on Pinkbike, there's lot's of Turner's (or other DH bikes) on there. I would also recommend fryed's advice, don't spend to much and make sure you like DH'ing before you go out and splurge. Plus, if you crash while learning, it won't hurt your pocket book as much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SprocketHead View Post
    Look on Pinkbike, there's lot's of Turner's (or other DH bikes) on there. I would also recommend fryed's advice, don't spend to much and make sure you like DH'ing before you go out and splurge. Plus, if you crash while learning, it won't hurt your pocket book as much.
    right... been trolling (not that kind) pinkbike for a while now.

I've pegged my max at $2,500.00. But that's only for a late model well-spec'd bike. I want something that I won't have to worry about upgrading for a while, and that I don't have to wonder about how long the suspension has gone without service. I'd rather have those Saint brakes now instead of finding out in 3 months that the Juicy 3's on the cheaper bike aren't cutting it, know what I mean?

Less than a year ago, I felt stupid for spending $2,300 for a barely used 2012 Remedy 8 when I literally had one day of mtb'ing experience... total... ever... But I've managed not to destroy it, and I'm quickly growing into the bike's capabilities. And it's great because I don't need to upgrade anytime soon, because while I'm learning quickly, I'm certainly not going to outgrow it anytime soon.

RideDirt
    Are you in NJ ? I am , if you want to demo a 2013 giant glory PM me , I know a shop that will take care of you .

Now on topic , if I was you go with the Glory , I ride at creek often and the v10 isnt necessary especially if your just starting out . The glory is all you need, its a very playful fun poppy bike and pedals very good .

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Are you in NJ ? I am , if you want to demo a 2013 giant glory PM me , I know a shop that will take care of you .

Now on topic , if I was you go with the Glory , I ride at creek often and the v10 isnt necessary especially if your just starting out . The glory is all you need, its a very playful fun poppy bike and pedals very good .
    aedubber,

I'm across the river in Tarrytown, NY, an hour from Mountain Creek.

Good to know you've got firsthand knowledge of where I'll be riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree, go for the Glory. I just got one a few weeks ago and can't complain.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Doesn't MC rent Glory's? I know Blue does. I don't think you can go wrong with a Glory and my limited impression was a well rounded bike. I would look of a 2011 for it has the Saint build.
    I through in a Mongoose because the price is to good to pass up for a entry level bike and it's close to you.

2011 Giant Glory 00- Medium - Pinkbike
    2011 glory 00 large frame - Pinkbike
    Mongoose - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Slater View Post
    Fryed,

I found a 2010 Demo 8 for $1900. Any input?
    Again you're asking our opinion...

$1900 for a 3yr old demo probably isn't a bad deal, but who knows.

Personally I can't stand demos. They're great on the rocky and steeps, but I don't find them that much fun in the air. Other people probably do and can toss it around with ease, but that's my opinion. I say look for a 3-4yr old used bike. Kona Stinky's can easily be found in the $1000 range, are beginner friendly bikes and will let you get your feet wet and still have money in the bank for when you find your footing and realize what you like. Sundays are great bikes and can be had for a deal if you can find one and beginner friendly as well. The aforementioned Turners, older M3's, Kona, etc... are all decent starter bikes that will pretty much be neutral and let you ride them the way you want to until you decide what it is you like best.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Drth Vadr View Post
    I through in a Mongoose because the price is to good to pass up for a entry level bike and it's close to you.

Mongoose - Pinkbike
    I have an '09 boot'r and love it. Fun bike, but I probably wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Doesn't MC rent Glory's? I know Blue does. I don't think you can go wrong with a Glory and my limited impression was a well rounded bike. I would look of a 2011 for it has the Saint build.

2011 Giant Glory 00- Medium - Pinkbike
    2011 glory 00 large frame - Pinkbike
    Mongoose - Pinkbike

Mountain Creek rents GT Fury's.

What's "Blue"?

mtbr member
    I have an '09 boot'r and love it. Fun bike, but I probably wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.
    But for $800 who cares, he can grow into it. I'd jump all over it at that price. Take advantage of the seller not really knowing what he has because he is to blinded by the Mongoose on the frame. It's speced pretty good, but not like an 2009 or 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Slater View Post
    Mountain Creek rents GT Fury's.

What's "Blue"?
    Blue Mountain Bike Park, PA

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

But for $800 who cares, he can grow into it. I'd jump all over it at that price. Take advantage of the seller not really knowing what he has because he is to blinded by the Mongoose on the frame. It's speced pretty good, but not like an 2009 or 2010.

$600?!?! He lowballs himself in his own ad.

holy crap... the fork and brakes would fetch more than that...

I didn't know about Blue Mountain in PA, only Blue Mountain in upstate NY.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

$600?!?! He lowballs himself in his own ad.

holy crap... the fork and brakes would fetch more than that...

Uphill? What's that
    The glory is a great all around bike.. It handles the rock gardens very well and is still nimble and easy to pop off of jumps. The head angle on the 2010 isn't as slack as some of the pure dh bikes which makes it easier to handle at low speeds and it will also make it a little easier to learn how to handle drops since the front end isn't so far out in front of you. Just to let you know I don't even own a glory..