mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Heckler dh/ fr build

Building a heckler up for a the bike park.....

2 questions I have are....

what fork should I run and what drivetrain.. I want something with 160 travel and for drivetrain I wanna run a single upfront with 10 or 9 in the back I really don't want to spend a ton of dough on the drivetrain since I might dump this bike here and there

thanks

Gnarly
    My first season DH as a beginner, Singlesprocket built me up a Heckler. Originally the fork was an old Pike then he switched it to a 160mm Fox.
    We ran it plush with some extra sag and it worked ok. It was fine while I learned... then I continued to upgrade as my skills improved.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Glad to Be Alive
    for me i wouldn't even bother with a SC heckler...you will get beat up too much...get an old stinky complete for 700 to 1000
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    as nice a bike as the heckler is, remember its a trail bike not a freeride/dh sled. my brother used to have one. 09 model. he loved it. it handled trail rides with ease. when i say trails i am talking whistler type trails. he rode it in the bike park to, it was ok on flowey trails, like bline and crank it up. but when it get steep and techy it was out of its deph, so he got a demo7 2. and kept the heckler for trail use.
    when we went to whistler in may 2010, there was still lots of snow. so he only took his heckler, as there were only a few trails open in the park. he took the hecler into the park one day and we were playing arround in joyride jump park, on the jumps and drops. he did on the the drops and snapped the main pivot clamp bolt. it had to be drilled out. soon after he sold the bike and built up a butcher. again he loved it, fantastic trail bike. but not park tough.
    he just sold the butcher and built up a knolly chilcotin.
    so my advice would be, not to bother with the heckler for what you describe. as smt said you would be better off going for a more freeride/dh/park type bike. there are lots out there and some good deals to be had, specially if your looking at second hand.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Fox 36 Talas or Float or Rock Shox Lyric rc2l.

mtbr member
    Put a 160 fork on there + a 1 degree Works angleset and you'll have a bike that will be fun on jump trails and for a lot of bike park riding.
    It won't do real DH duty, but it will be fun on the new school park trails.
    Hecklers can take a ton of abuse-invest in some quality suspension and DH tires.
    You can easily piece together a 1X10 or 1x9 drivetrain with a cheap crankset, bash ring or guard/guide + a clutch style rear derailluer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks guys