Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hayes Nine pad replacement - Help

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ThoughtfulPirate 
#1 ·
LBS used hayes pads, but they would not sit right. The pads rubbed so bad that the wheel would not spin freely. They tried a generic brand pad...and the same result.

When comparing the original pad to the new ones, it appears the non-braking surface material is thicker, and the slot in the middle is not as deep.

All pads that were tried are compatible with hydraulics, so I know they can be used.

Is it possible that the screw in the lever assembly needs to be backed out? Or is a bleed job necessary?

The LBS is stumped because they have never seen this problem on other Hayes models. They usually just pop them in.

Any advice?
Thanks.

#2 ·
Step 1: never trust that LBS, they are scary clueless.

Step 2: download Hayes manual which tells you how to reset the piston pisition

Step 3: what? you havent downloaded the manual yet? get it here

Step 4: read the FAQ

Step5: are you sure you are installing Hayes pads? not all hydro pads are the same.

#3 ·
hayes pads

positive they are hayes...I saw the package.

The LBS has changed pads for me in the past when I had my Hayes MAG brakes. They never had a problem.

They cannot understand why it is not working.

zedro said:
Step 1: never trust that LBS, they are scary clueless.

Step 2: download Hayes manual which tells you how to reset the piston pisition

Step 3: what? you havent downloaded the manual yet? get it here

Step 4: read the FAQ

Step5: are you sure you are installing Hayes pads? not all hydro pads are the same.

#5 ·
freeriderB said:
positive they are hayes...I saw the package.

The LBS has changed pads for me in the past when I had my Hayes MAG brakes. They never had a problem.

The question you should ask yourself: Why did I change from mags to Hayes Nines???

Push the piston back and re-pump breaks up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.