Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hayes HFX 9 - HD any good?

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  prerogative 
#1 ·
reviews are not too hot...

Are these worth $99.00? Or should I just go for the next model up (I think they are the Mags)?

User comments appreciated...

#2 ·
I've used both...

freeriderB said:
reviews are not too hot...

Are these worth $99.00? Or should I just go for the next model up (I think they are the Mags)?

User comments appreciated...
and have this to say. I have '01 mags on my foes and just put the HFX on my new Ventana. The mags seemed to be nicer and seemed to stop a bit better than the HFX. The way the mags mount sit a bit higher on my list as well. The HFX clamp/mount is really cheesy. If I had to do it over again I would atleast go with the mags. I have also looked into the Avid Juicys. If you can get those I think you would be much happier than going with the Hayes. Good luck

#3 ·
Get the Mags. It's worth it to not have to worry about the bleed "plug" falling out while you ride (yeah, it happens all the time, that's why you see the HFX-9s with duct tape on the levers), and to not have to worry about your lever blade popping out in a crash.

For an extra $100, the lack of aggravation you'll get with the Mags will be more than worth it.

#4 ·
I have HX-9s

And they rock. The only advantage of the Mags is they are lighter becuase they are made out of magnesium, which will break alot easier than the HX-9 will. I have got HX9s on both of my bikes and I have never had the bleed plug fall out.
I have had my lever wrench right back in a bad stack and all I had to replace was a $2 washer, they are really sturdy and easy to service. Hence why I have them on both of my bikes. There was a long discussion a few weeks ago on here from lots of owners of HX-9s and a dude who had MAGS complete with a pictire of his master cyliner smashed where the lever pivots, in the 1st week from just clipping a tree. The MAGs arent meant to be strong they are meant to be light, so if weight is a problem then go for the MAGS but if you are building a freeride bike then go for the HX-9s, they are solid

#5 ·
Yeah I busted up that pair of Mags

jungleuk said:
And they rock. The only advantage of the Mags is they are lighter becuase they are made out of magnesium, which will break alot easier than the HX-9 will. I have got HX9s on both of my bikes and I have never had the bleed plug fall out.
I have had my lever wrench right back in a bad stack and all I had to replace was a $2 washer, they are really sturdy and easy to service. Hence why I have them on both of my bikes. There was a long discussion a few weeks ago on here from lots of owners of HX-9s and a dude who had MAGS complete with a pictire of his master cyliner smashed where the lever pivots, in the 1st week from just clipping a tree. The MAGs arent meant to be strong they are meant to be light, so if weight is a problem then go for the MAGS but if you are building a freeride bike then go for the HX-9s, they are solid
First day out riding them on a rock, going uphill, around a switchback.

I figured out what I had - Hayes makes an XC series and I think it was the HD series. The XC series is lighter, and I seem to remember reading the HD series was about 30% heavier, but more oriented for freeride/downhill applications. While I busted up that Mag very easily, it should be noted it was the lighter XC version. Perhaps the heavier ones would have survived...

If you can find a set of the older Purple Hayes around, I believe those are probably the most durable ones you'll find. Mine are beat to hell with scratches and gouges, but they still work like a charm and haven't failed me yet!

Someone mentioned the Juicy's - I got to mess around with a set that came in to the lbs. Those were some REALLY nice brakes! They were way more adjustable than the Hayes. Seems like the folks at Avid really have their brakes figured out.

#6 ·
Also loosen the clamp bolts a little

If the brake is clamped tight to the bar, things will break off. If you run them slightly loose, so that you can rotate the levers with some force, then they can twist in a crash and not break as often. Plus then you can always adjust the angles without tools. Some of my friends even run teflon plumbers tape under the clamps, motocross style.

#7 ·
yep

Like Wtermoccasin said, Its always a good idea to have your levers loose enough that you can turn them by hand but still tight enough that they stay firmly in place. Then they spin rather than break....

#8 ·
the 9's and the mags are the same brake, the only difference is the levers and how they mount, they should both stop you the same. the 9's just have to be slid off the end of the bar while the mags have 2 bolts so they come right off, but if you have lock on grips, its not that hard to slid them off anyway

#10 ·
I can think of 3 fellow riders w/ HFX-9: 1 has the tape on levers to hold them together, 1 has popping out problem, and the other has both problems.

Most of us have Mag (those w/ Hayes) - no problems with levers or otherwise. The braking is the same, and as stated - if you want to break the lever off, tighten it down to bar real tight. Only a couple run Avids, and nothing bad to say about them (hydo or mech).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.