The Mountain Bike Life

Have you ever wanted to DH race?

I have thought about trying the local DH races here for a few years now but have always thought that I was not fast enough (don't want to embarass myself) and that I would rather just go for a ride with my buddies...but this post makes me think otherwise....sounds fun and rewarding...

The Mountain Bike Life: Introduction to Downhill Racing Part 1

mtbr member
    After racing the Snow Shoe Mountain Chomolungma and finishing 17th out of 50 in solo I was all for racing DH in 2013. However, the price is keeping me out of it.

My wife won the 2012 womens sport WVMBA series this year. Well since she raced XC last year I was going to race DH this year. But after looking up where the east coast series takes place I was out. It would cost me so much money between gas, lodging, and food there's no way. Even with a patial sponership it was going to cost way too much.

Now this year we both are going to race the xc series again here in West Virginia. But I am going to try and make a couple of the "normal" races at snow shoe and the enduro challange again for sure.

Those DH enduro races really make it worth the entry fee. Where else do you get 20 passes down the hill in less than 5 hours?!

Also, I went to the DH race thinking people where going to be adrenaline junkies and jerks. But it was really just like a xc race with alot more coasting! Every one was really cool. Anyone that happend to come up on you on the trails would yell way before they passed (just like the "on your left/right" with XC races) and when it came time to get on the lift there was no pushing or shoving. It really impressed me and made me want to race DH.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    I have thought about trying the local DH races here for a few years now but have always thought that I was not fast enough (don't want to embarass myself) and that I would rather just go for a ride with my buddies...but this post makes me think otherwise....sounds fun and rewarding...
    I raced a bit before graduating and moving to Houston. It's a lot of fun no matter what level you are. I raced cat 2 and from my experience it really doesn't matter how good or bad you are because unless you are really competitive and racing cat 1 or pro there's not much more than bragging rights. Also people make mistakes, wreck, and other things happen no matter your skill level. I would say at least do it once because you have nothing to lose and will probably have a lot of fun.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nope.

I'm a lover, not a racer... or something like this. I do it for the love

Some race vids that I've seen - like Crud to mud - can't say that the fast riders seemed very nice to the slow pokes... Maybe you lucked out

bike rider
    I've raced DH more than a few times and it's a Blast! I live in Houston Texas and it's more than a little flat here so I don't get to train and I have to travel to do it but it is always so much fun. I've raced in Mammoth '94, Durango '98, Utah '00, '01, '02, '04, New Mexico '01, Neveda '01. I got 2nd in the Cat 1 Texas DH State Championship in 2002 and I was Texas Cat 1 DH State Champ in 2003 and 2004 and I crashed in 2005 and got 5th.

You should definitely race at least once, the rush is like no other. I've ton tons of XC Races and even after the hardest races my Heart isn't Pounding out of my chest like even after a 2 minute DH race. (like we have in Texas)
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    matt: where did you race in Texas? I'm thinking about moving to Houston where my sister lives.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

The Mountain Bike Life
    Awesome, thanks guys I think I am going to put it on my list for next year.

mtbr member
    have always thought that I was not fast enough (don't want to embarass myself)
    just an FYI, no one will care whether if your 1st or last, what matters is you get out there and have fun.... but to get 1st you have to work at it...so, do you want to be 1st!? now's the time to start training! ( i need to eat my own words) running and sprinting drills 3 times a week will help you pedal faster. you watch tv? during commercials bust out pushups and situps. most commercials are 30sec. you can use that as a timer. i'm sure others can offer other simple training suggestions to help in the long run.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

The Mountain Bike Life
    Great tips man. Right now I am injured (extensor tendinitis) and anything that involves my foot is out of the question.

mtbr member
    well that stinks... i'm sure there are some exercises you can do... google is a fun place to visit
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '00 Homegrown

The Mountain Bike Life
    Yup, I am a google guru.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    You should definitely race at least once, the rush is like no other. I've ton tons of XC Races and even after the hardest races my Heart isn't Pounding out of my chest like even after a 2 minute DH race. (like we have in Texas)
    The last time I raced it was in Utah and I wrecked hard on my last practice run and broke two floating ribs. It was more than a little painful for a bit over a month after that but I raced that day. My time suffered but I had fun and have no regrets.

I also live in Houston and would like to know where you ride for the Texas DH series.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Also like to know about TX DH stuff. I could never find much of anything.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

bike rider
    Yeah Texas used to have a Dual Slalom Series that coincided with the XC races back in the 1990's and we had 2 actual DH Races a year until 2006ish one in Comfort at Flat Rock Ranch (the winning time was usually around 2 minutes) and one in Kerrville at Kelly Creek Ranch and the winning time there was around 4 minutes. The Kerrville race was always won on an XC bike but the Comfort race couldn't even be ridden on an XC bike. It was short but pretty Gnarly. Look me up on Facebook and check out some of my Texas DH pics.

Rocky Hill Ranch had a sweet Bicycle Super Cross course in the early 2000's. It was a big DH BMX Track. I actually finished 3rd. there behind Kyle Bennet and John "Jackyl" Purse and ahead of Jason Carnes all 3 Pro BMXers. I have some pics of the 35ft. set of doubles on that course. Let me try to find one for here.

This is me on my Intense M-1 jumping the 35ft. doubles. It was sweet, you hit these going like 30mph and were in the air for a while! This is a screen shot from a video. I'll try to figure out how to load videos from a DVC to put on here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have you ever wanted to DH race?-img_0420.jpg  

bike rider
    Here is another one of me racing Dual Slalom in Jacksonville Texas in 1997. I almost bought the timing equipment to keep the series going but I didn't. Totally a Regret.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have you ever wanted to DH race?-img_0296.jpg  

Yes, that's fonetic
    Mattkock, can't see your pics. Mudpuppy, go for it. Racing is an adrenaline rush like no other. I did quite a few races waaay back (we're talking the days of the Kamikaze DH) and loved every one. Never won a race (did podium a time or two) but that really didn't matter...the whole atmosphere was always more camaraderie than competition. Big races can be a bit spendy, doubly so if you have to travel and pay for accommodations on top of entry fees. Coupla tips...try to walk the course after a couple of warm up runs and then get as many practice runs as possible. Knowing the course well is a HUGE advantage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    just finished my first season. Dont worry about being fast now, you will get much faster as you gain racing experience. Its alot of fun and the atmosphere is awesome. Definitely give it a try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    pretty much sums up my experience.