MTBXRacing

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Haro 357 Magmun Help

I'm having excess noise with my floating brake arm (2006 .357). I'm thinking the arm is mounted wrong, would anyone know which side the arm mounts on - on the rear mount, inside or out and should the bolt head be on the outside or inside? Any pics avail would also help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haro 357 Magmun Help-000_0119.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    is the noise new? cause bikes with a floating brake tend to make a lot of noise regardless of setup.
    on the several bikes ive had a floating brake on, the rod was on the inside on the mount like yours is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Is everything tightened down to spec with the brake adapter and code caliper? I ask because that rotor should be much deeper into the caliper than it is. Like it is a 203 adapter but only running a 185mm rotor. Not sure if that is the noise you are hearing but it is a dang good start.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Your rotor is too small.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by AmirBernard View Post
    Your rotor is too small.
    ...or is the adapter too big?

I bike long tyme.
    These dudes are correct. Providing you didn't adjust the threaded heim linkage, you have a size compatibility issue somewhere. On the other note, I have had many floating setups as well and they were all silky quiet. I don't see how they would make any more noise than any other pivoted suspension point. They pivot on bearings and close tolerance heim joints. If a floater is making noise, banging and clunking, something is wore or loose and needs replaced. They should be noise-free.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Secace View Post
    If a floater is making noise, banging and clunking, something is wore or loose and needs replaced. They should be noise-free.
    funny. everyone i know with a floater brake on their bike, makes a ton of noise...and they are all brand new. 3 Foes frames and 1 SC V10 of mine made a ton of noise at the arm. its a pretty common issue with floater brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My friend has been running a 357 magnum for a few years without the floating brake mount due to the noise. I'm assuming you have a "howling" noise. We suspect it's a tiny amount of vibration that gets amplified by the massive, hollow, boxed out swing arm...it's like an acoustic guitar.

Have you tried running without it? I ran a single pivot Yakuza DH for a couple years without a floater and no noticeable brake-jack. It's a free fix and reversible if you don't like the ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    As said, you have the wrong brake adapter. Verify the size of your rotor with the size printed on the adapter. I'm surprised you can even stop at all with the pad contact being so little. When you take it off to inspect it, take your pads out. If you have been riding it like this for a while you will probably have worn the pads very unevenly. You probably will need new ones.

Glad to Be Alive
    looks like you are high on the rotor...try taking the spacers (silver washer between adapter and caliper) off and seeing if it sets better
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Interesting insights here...

mtbr member
    The washers need to be there as the bolts are too long with out, that is how avid designed it. Did you just change something and now it is making sounds?

mtbr member
    Everythingn is on correctly.

The floater on that bike is loud as hell. If you are anyhting better than a beginner rider take it off, the bikes rides better without it.

EDIT:

If you don't have the direct mount dropout of rno floater PM me, I might still have one.

MTBXRacing
    Those are 2011 codes, the rotors are 203, I've checked the depth and they are seated fully into the calipers, since that picture thee rotor and caliper are seated better,

MTBXRacing
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    My friend has been running a 357 magnum for a few years without the floating brake mount due to the noise. I'm assuming you have a "howling" noise. We suspect it's a tiny amount of vibration that gets amplified by the massive, hollow, boxed out swing arm...it's like an acoustic guitar.

Have you tried running without it? I ran a single pivot Yakuza DH for a couple years without a floater and no noticeable brake-jack. It's a free fix and reversible if you don't like the ride.
    That is exactly what seems to be happening, The more I use the brake the more it vibrates.