mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Gwin's lines at MSA

Aaron Gwin took radically different lines from everyone else this weekend. Was that based on conditions, or was that his plan from the get-go?

I know in auto racing drivers stay off the dry line in the rain because it's slipperier (from oil etc), but it's hard to imagine that wet grass is a big improvement over mud?

The run: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/aaron-...017-video.html

mtbr member
    The man knows what it takes to be on the podium. This was just another example. Lucas had the run in the dry, only way to survive in the mud was to risk it all.

I can't stop watching that run... not human....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    No expert, but I think his strategy was to shortline everywhere he could and slingshot off the berms. Normally this wouldn't be as fast because you could hold more speed on the bigger arc of riding the berm, but I believe he was betting on the slower speed/shorter line having an advantage here. It worked.

Gwin may look kind of like a dude-bro but he is one of the smartest, if not the smartest, racers in DH right now. He has an uncanny sense of knowing how much speed the course has, where he was fast, where he wasn't and where his opponents did the same. For example, look at his run at Fort William this year. He knew he wasn't going to stay on the hot seat. He knew he left too much on the table. You could see it in his eyes. Dude's got like a sixth sense about this kind of stuff. Commentary is always talking about Minaar's spidey sense and how he's such a smart racer, he is, but I don't think Gwin gets the credit he deserves.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

mtbr member
    We all know that was Sam Hill dressed as Gwin. Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    Gwin may look kind of like a dude-bro but he is one of the smartest, if not the smartest, racers in DH right now. He has an uncanny sense of knowing how much speed the course has, where he was fast, where he wasn't and where his opponents did the same. . . . Dude's got like a sixth sense about this kind of stuff. Commentary is always talking about Minaar's spidey sense and how he's such a smart racer, he is, but I don't think Gwin gets the credit he deserves.
    100% agree. I didn't start watching DH races until 2017. Judging only by 2017 races, Gwin is in a class of his own. He makes about an average number of big mistakes vs. the other top few riders, but comparing clean run vs. clean run, he's just faster than everyone else. Some of that must be pure bike handling skill, but some is obviously his ability to analyze and strategize. The fact that he won MSA by a second by riding VERY different lines from everyone else says it all, wow.

The first thing I noticed in interviews with him was his SoCal bro accent--it's really strong; I'm from there and I don't normally notice it--but what he has to say is consistently insightful and on point.

I don't totally get the Minaar mystique. He's crafty and he doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but I feel like he has mostly gotten outridden by Gwin in 2017. Vallnord is the one exception I can think of where Gwin had a clean run and got beat.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    No expert, but I think his strategy was to shortline everywhere he could and slingshot off the berms. Normally this wouldn't be as fast because you could hold more speed on the bigger arc of riding the berm, but I believe he was betting on the slower speed/shorter line having an advantage here. It worked.

Gwin may look kind of like a dude-bro but he is one of the smartest, if not the smartest, racers in DH right now. He has an uncanny sense of knowing how much speed the course has, where he was fast, where he wasn't and where his opponents did the same. For example, look at his run at Fort William this year. He knew he wasn't going to stay on the hot seat. He knew he left too much on the table. You could see it in his eyes. Dude's got like a sixth sense about this kind of stuff. Commentary is always talking about Minaar's spidey sense and how he's such a smart racer, he is, but I don't think Gwin gets the credit he deserves.
    That's always been my takeaway from listening to Gwin's interviews. He strikes me as a guy who not only has incredible strength and skill on a bike, but is actually capable of thinking about what he's doing, when, how, and why. He's seeing AND riding lines out there that no one else does. It seems like once or twice a year, there's a race where Gwin pulls something out of the bag that no one else can match.

There are a couple of guys on the DH circuit that better hope they sock away every promotional dollar they make during their careers, because they aren't exactly killing it in the ol' brain-box; Aaron Gwin isn't one of them. I'm guessing he will do well for himself after he retires.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    We all know that was Sam Hill dressed as Gwin. Fahn
    I like it. It does say a lot about both. There are a bunch of fast riders out there but too stand on the top step the difference is mental. In a good way not a crazy way. As Gwin said ( after two corners he realized the traction was there ). Both Sam and Aaron realize you must make the course shorter, carry and find speed always. You don't win by going faster hear and there. Listen to interviews and the interviewer's will ask where were the critical places on track that make the difference. To Sam and Aaron there are not critical places the whole track is one critical place.

Glad to Be Alive
    It's good to see Gwin win...he is a beast....couple of less falls and he would have 2 to 4 more wins....anyway....I think he knew he had to ride away from the mud as much as pssible
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Awesome run...

Love watching Gwin, hope to see as many as possible

May The Force Be With You
    He's a MONSTER!!!!!!!!

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser