Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    A Specialized carbon bike won a pro DH race in Fontana this weekend, except it was a 29'er. Gwin was second on a Demo.

Mitch Ropelato Wins Easter Sunday PRO GRT Downhill Event on a 29er | News | mountain-bike-action
    This reeks of an April fools joke, even though they state otherwise. Winning a DH race on a stump jumper? That seems pretty suspect regardless of wheel size.

Dirt Bike Craig
    From what I've seen of Fontana it's not that unbelievable. Doesn't look terribly technical and there is definitely some pedaling. How many people are gonna rush out & buy that new Speshy Enduro 29er? Haha

(EDIT - I take that back. Just saw some footage of the course and it does indeed look pretty technical in spots)
    Last edited by FMX_DBC; 04-01-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I saw a photo of those results, but for some reason I thought it was practice.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FMX_DBC View Post
    From what I've seen of Fontana it's not that unbelievable. Doesn't look terribly technical and there is definitely some pedaling. How many people are gonna rush out & buy that new Speshy Enduro 29er? Haha
    You're correct. I've ridden there a few times now and I've always thought I was "forcing" it on my DH bike. A great 6" bike is perfect for most courses that they set up. But then to have an efficient bike to pedal for the last 1/8 mile sprint, could make a massive difference on your time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FMX_DBC View Post

(EDIT - I take that back. Just saw some footage of the course and it does indeed look pretty technical in spots)
    There's a small tech section followed by a long long pedaling finish. Probably about 80 percent pedaling. Joke of a downhill course.

bike rider
    That should put an end to ProGRTs being held on that course.
    Keep the Country country.

reading comprehension wat
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    There's a small tech section followed by a long long pedaling finish. Probably about 80 percent pedaling. Joke of a downhill course.
    Quite an exaggeration, but it can be considered relatively pedally compared to others, due to the 2 relatively flat stretches of pedal sections. The difference between Fontana/Southridge and the other flat stretches found in other DH courses, is that they build rollers, tables, doubles, and such on those flat stretches in the other courses. I don't think you pedal for more than 20 seconds at a time in Fontana; compare that to South Africa or something, if you want to judge courses by how "pedally" it is. I prefer to consider factors such as the dirt characteristics of the course...
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Southridge actually has uphill pedal sections as part of it's DH course. There's Enduro courses that are more DH like.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    does this mean all the pinkbike kids are going to sell trade thier demos for stumpjumpers?

backwoods and backwards
    After reading most of this, the one thing that really stood out... at round 1, Jackie Harmony was 44 seconds better than second place!!! 44... WHAT!
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Southridge actually has uphill pedal sections as part of it's DH course. There's Enduro courses that are more DH like.
    You do realize they change the course every race?
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    You do realize they change the course every race?
    Yep, but it's still a lot of the same and always has the long pedal section at the end. Time wise the pedal section is always longer than the DH. A good part of the pedal section is uphill, and it's on every DH track variation.

A 29er will lost a bit of ground if the track has some of the tight hairpins they occasionally use, but pedal finish is long enough to more than make up for it.

There is a section of the track they rarely use and it's tough even for some pros to clean. It's a steep drop across the face that's really rocky. It's really not much of a DH race feature because you lose a ton of momentum to be able to roll it. Once you're through it you better be ready to pedal for a long time.
    Last edited by smellurfingers; 04-02-2013 at 10:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    does this mean all the pinkbike kids are going to sell trade thier demos for stumpjumpers?
    No, but I think it means that middle age 29er Zealots will invade every gravity forum on the internet insisting all DH'ers switch to some type of larger diameter wheel with fundamental-like religious fervor.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Any of you 29ers want to trade me for my M9 and some lycra?.....NOT!
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I gotta say, after the last year having him switch to your company's frame is kind of a risky proposition. He might keep on winning and bring you great exposure or his competition could improve and his dominance could end. Then everyone questions whether the Demo is as fast as the Session.
    This strikes me as a bit of a no win situation for Spesh, if Gwin keeps winning it's because he's Aaron Gwin and he could win on a penny farthing. If he doesn't win it's because the Demo is holding him back.

Even worse, if Brooke McDonald wins then it's 'proof' that Trek make the best bike, not sure even Spesh's marketing men could make up the gap if that happens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    This reeks of an April fools joke, even though they state otherwise. Winning a DH race on a stump jumper? That seems pretty suspect regardless of wheel size.
    Don't forget Jared Graves won the Sea Otter DH with a Yeti 4X and the longest seat post in the world, a 29er with 120mm travel doesn't seem such a stretch against that.

Yep, but it's still a lot of the same and always has the long pedal section at the end. Time wise the pedal section is always longer than the DH. A good part of the pedal section is uphill, and it's on every DH track variation.

A 29er will lost a bit of ground if the track has some of the tight hairpins they occasionally use, but pedal finish is long enough to more than make up for it.

There is a section of the track they rarely use and it's tough even for some pros to clean. It's a steep drop across the face that's really rocky. It's really not much of a DH race feature because you lose a ton of momentum to be able to roll it. Once you're through it you better be ready to pedal for a long time.
    They haven't used that steep drop ever since they decided to make the course take more than 2 minutes. The "uphill" portion of the pedal section ends/crests at the road crossing. This is part of the DH half before it spits you out onto that fireroad with the slight incline.

Sea Otter has nothing like this. I don't even think they have anything resembling a rock garden nor a steep. Not sure why people like to compare them. There are people crashing and getting injured at Fontana, especially this round since it was dry and had little traction. Sure you can ride it on a trail bike, but I don't think there's many that will be faster than a DH bike in the more technical half. It's not as easy as people are trying to make it out to be. It's common to see a 30 second spread between racers within a class, that are not due to crashes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Pro GRT Round #2 at Fontana Video - Pinkbike
    That's footage of the track they used that day. Race run starts at 0:26 and for about the first 40 seconds there is about 8 seconds worth of technical stuff. Then at 1:46-2:06 he is basically sprinting on a fire road. THEN at 2:17 until finished he is sprinting on another section of fire road. Total of about 1:10 worth of fire road sprinting and 0:32 worth of non technical single track. Thats 1:42 out of a 2:41 second race.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    DH racing needs flow. Dropping a couple of technical sections, no matter how steep or rough they are, doesn't make it a DH course. Rolling a couple drops and peddling like mad is more Enduro than DH.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4