Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Lawsuit and Specialized. There's two things that you never hear together.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Gnarly
    I wish Aaron luck and hopes he races well this year
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Who knows all the interworkings of this, but.. why would anyone hate on him for going after the money in a career with such a short life? It could all end quickly and I am sure there is no retirement plan. The man is looking out for himself in a business sense and that is just smart, in the end he still gets to ride a bike for a living. Seems like a no brainer to me.

mtbr member
    Gwin isno longer on the redbull athlete page....

nevermind....

Gwin makes Specialized switch - Photo - Video | Red Bull Bike

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    No loyalty in any sport anymore. Just the way it is unfortunately. I definitely understand the limited life-span of a dh rider stated above by Josie7. Not much of a 401K plan in pro racing.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    So how is the whole 40 doesn't fit on demo frames going to work out?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    No loyalty in any sport anymore. Just the way it is unfortunately. I definitely understand the limited life-span of a dh rider stated above by Josie7. Not much of a 401K plan in pro racing.
    I also wonder if there was some sort of profit sharing type of thing in the contract..personally I would want profit sharing from Specialized over Trek...I am sure Sam Hill made some nice money off the Sam Hill Demo's

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    im sure they will figure it out for gwin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    To be honest, although I liked him to Trek, and what he did for the brand... I don't blame him for leaving.

Think about it this way, Gwin is a fantastic DH athlete, and although I don't follow downhill super close, not many athletes (beside CG, and Peaty) can make this a "life-time" sport.

After another 5 years Gwin most likely won't be the athlete he is today, and 10 years from now, who knows if he'll still be racing. From the interviews I've seen with Gwin, he seems like a nice and humble guy, but not a particular exciting one.

He doesn't have the excitable charm, or the charisma that fellow (well former fellow now) Trek rider Cam Mccaul has, and who knows if he'll be able to make much of a living in the industry after his DH career. I figure Mccaul could be a great product salesmen, announcer, ect, but Gwin... I don't know.

He probably realizes this and just wants to make AS MUCH money as possible in the short term, while he's still in the game.

mtbr member
    Cool Story, brah...

DownhillBAWS
    Quote Originally Posted by rep_1969 View Post
    Do some research as to how "The big S" got their start. You've never watched Klunkerz have you? You should, pretty interesting film.

Mountain Bike History

I don't remember the details exactly but basically the founder of Specialized took a frame created by Gary Fisher to Taiwan and had it mass produced, starting the Specialized brand. Or something like that. I personally don't like Specialized company or their bikes, my opinion. Unfortunately for me, I'll still be rooting for Gwinn on a Specialized bike. Greenbacks rule the world.
    To be completely honest I do not care how any bike manufacture started. That was one guy the company's has had good and bad people in it just like any organization. I really love my demo and wouldn't trade it for anything (except a newer demo ).
    Just take off the silver part you'll still have the pretty anodized partion, and you'll ride much faster. As fast as a 29er!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester29959 View Post
    To be completely honest I do not care how any bike manufacture started. That was one guy the company's has had good and bad people in it just like any organization. I really love my demo and wouldn't trade it for anything (except a newer demo ).
    i agree.. gwin called me and asked my opinion on trek vs specialized so you can all blame it on me..

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    there is nothing wrong about moving to greener pastures. but its best to give people who have treated you right an option to counter offer.

if there was no animosity between trek and gwinn, and an 11th hour move like this was annouced, that is very bad business.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    I could care less about what went on behind closed doors. I just watched the Specialized "Farewell to Sam Hill Video". I cannot wait to see the Trek "Farewell to Gwin" video.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot View Post
    I could care less about what went on behind closed doors. I just watched the Specialized "Farewell to Sam Hill Video". I cannot wait to see the Trek "Farewell to Gwin" video.
    Yeah, about that...

mtbr member
    40 and carbon demo have no compatibility issues from what I remember. The alloy had tubing/welds/ and gussetting that created some clearance issues and required the 40 to have a different bumper installed. But with a carbon frame... He should be all good.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    40 and carbon demo have no compatibility issues from what I remember. The alloy had tubing/welds/ and gussetting that created some clearance issues and required the 40 to have a different bumper installed. But with a carbon frame... He should be all good.
    Oh cool. Yeah I realized after I posted that he would be on the carbon and I didn't know if that would make a difference.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    To be honest, although I liked him to Trek, and what he did for the brand... I don't blame him for leaving.

Think about it this way, Gwin is a fantastic DH athlete, and although I don't follow downhill super close, not many athletes (beside CG, and Peaty) can make this a "life-time" sport.

After another 5 years Gwin most likely won't be the athlete he is today, and 10 years from now, who knows if he'll still be racing. From the interviews I've seen with Gwin, he seems like a nice and humble guy, but not a particular exciting one.

He doesn't have the excitable charm, or the charisma that fellow (well former fellow now) Trek rider Cam Mccaul has, and who knows if he'll be able to make much of a living in the industry after his DH career. I figure Mccaul could be a great product salesmen, announcer, ect, but Gwin... I don't know.

He probably realizes this and just wants to make AS MUCH money as possible in the short term, while he's still in the game.

Well said.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzeon View Post
    Interesting.. sounds like Trek to not keep their word and therefore he didn't sign.. if this is true, i will like Trek less as they seem to be trying to give him a bad name when all he did was win 10 world cup races for them..

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie7 View Post
    Interesting.. sounds like Trek to not keep their word and therefore he didn't sign.. if this is true, i will like Trek less as they seem to be trying to give him a bad name when all he did was win 10 world cup races for them..
    Trek is not to blame here. Gwin and his management team had signed with Trek for the next few years.
    Why would Trek let him go with the success he's had?

Uphill? What's that
    I am really disappointed in the way Trek has been conducting themselves. They just released a video of Aaron signing the letter of intent.. The fact that Gwin didnt have a formal contract almost 5 months after he had signed the LOI kind of speaks for itself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    I am really disappointed in the way Trek has been conducting themselves. They just released a video of Aaron signing the letter of intent.. The fact that Gwin didnt have a formal contract almost 5 months after he had signed the LOI kind of speaks for itself.
    A lot of this isn't Trek but rather Trek World Racing which separate from Trek. They do share the name.

I can't imagine Trek is happy about how Trek World Racing is acting. An employer publicly threatening to sue a former employee, who quit, doesn't garner much good will.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Oh cool. Yeah I realized after I posted that he would be on the carbon and I didn't know if that would make a difference.
    I think Specialized is teamed up with Scram for their components packages, so he'll more than likely will be running a boxer.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Trek is not to blame here. Gwin and his management team had signed with Trek for the next few years.
    Why would Trek let him go with the success he's had?
    did you read Gwin's statement.. he never signed and they never came to terms with what was agreed..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast