• 01-09-2013
    StuLax18
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    I think Specialized is teamed up with Scram for their components packages, so he'll more than likely will be running a boxer.

    I know that's how it's been, but somewhere in one of the Gwin threads it said he's supported with frame and tires by Spec, so I took that to mean he's on all his old stuff prior. Although he signed with TLD recently I saw so who knows what will happen.
  • 01-09-2013
    DHgnaR
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    I know that's how it's been, but somewhere in one of the Gwin threads it said he's supported with frame and tires by Spec, so I took that to mean he's on all his old stuff prior. Although he signed with TLD recently I saw so who knows what will happen.

    You're right Specialized is providing him with frame and tires like you said, but Fox and Shimano were sponsors of TWR, not specifically Gwin, so technically it's still up in the air. Same goes for his new deal with TLD, Gwin himself was not sponsored Royal Racing, Trek World Racing factory team was, so now that Gwin is no longer part of TWR, he is free to make independent deals with other clothing companies.
    Also, as mentioned above, Trek World Racing and Trek are two sperate entities. TWR is owned by Martin Whiteley and his company 23 Degrees. Trek would be wise to distinse themselves from TWR and pull their frame sponsorship after MW's mud slinging.
  • 01-09-2013
    SV11
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Josie7 View Post
    did you read Gwin's statement.. he never signed and they never came to terms with what was agreed..

    Yes, it's a load of horse****.

    Did Gwin Breach His Contract With Trek World Racing? - Pinkbike

    Trek is considering suing Gwin.
  • 01-09-2013
    StuLax18
    At this point who knows what exactly happened. And apparently the full details can't be revealed so we just have to wait and see.
  • 01-10-2013
    darkzeon
    TWR is acutally giving Trek a bad name.

    SV11 - TWR is the one planning on suing not Trek.
  • 01-10-2013
    Rob-Bob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by the.vault View Post
    A lot of this isn't Trek but rather Trek World Racing which separate from Trek. They do share the name.

    I can't imagine Trek is happy about how Trek World Racing is acting. An employer publicly threatening to sue a former employee, who quit, doesn't garner much good will.

    You are right ..it is TWR who is being unprofessional.Trek needs to put them in their place and tell them to get it together.. TWR is going to give Trek a bad name and cost them more sales than Gwin leaving.
  • 01-10-2013
    SV11
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by darkzeon View Post
    TWR is acutally giving Trek a bad name.

    SV11 - TWR is the one planning on suing not Trek.

    Either Trek or TWR is considering suing Gwin.
    My understanding is that it's Trek. I know TWR is the obvious, I could be wrong.
    Either way, TWR is left in a pretty shyte position with comps and camps a couple of months away.
    I may have to offer my services.:D
  • 01-10-2013
    DHgnaR
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Either Trek or TWR is considering suing Gwin.
    My understanding is that it's Trek. I know TWR is the obvious, I could be wrong.
    Either way, TWR is left in a pretty shyte position with comps and camps a couple of months away.

    No, TWR is the only entity considering legal action. Trek Bicycles has said absolutely NOTHING on this matter. Trek Bicycles is just the title sponsor of Trek World Racing, which is owned and operated by Marten Whiteley and 23 Degrees.
    TWR screwed themselves if you ask me. I'm not a Gwin fan by most measures, but from what the public knows he seems to be the better man in this debacle. If Martin Whiteley/TWR would have just kept their mouths shut and not acted like a broken hearted high school drama queen, both parties probably could have walked away unscathed.
  • 01-10-2013
    SV11
    DHgnaR, thanks for clarifying.
    That statement from 23 degrees is pretty damming, to what extent I would not want to guess.
    I'm referring to my link.
  • 01-10-2013
    womble
    Not sure how the law works in the States, but under British-based legal systems he'd be left wide open to legal action under the principle of estoppel (which also exists under US law, but I'm not sure how).

    That he allowed Trek to proceed with all their publicity after the letter of intent without contradicting them sounds like it falls under this principle.

    (Note, there is not enough info in the public domain to really know this, and I'm not a lawyer, I've just casually taken legal courses).
  • 01-12-2013
    Rob-Bob
    Looks like there will be no legal action taken against Gwin. Whiteley of TWR just announced in an interview with P.B. that what's done is done. I have a feeling that TWR panicked when Aaron left because alot of their sponsorships where dependent on having Gwin being part of TWC. Glad to see that both Gwin and TWC can concentrate on racing and forget about legal BS.
  • 01-19-2013
    evasive
    It does seem that things are settling down. Not to keep this going, but here's the Gwin interview from VitalMTB:

    http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/featu...7063/sspomer,2
  • 03-17-2013
    oakhills
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 782495

    It looks like Gwin is staying with Fox but moved to SRAM....no more brake failures for him...
  • 03-17-2013
    Lelandjt
    Wow, he's been one of Shimano's main guys for many years. That's nearly as big a move as if he left Fox. I gotta say, after the last year having him switch to your company's frame is kind of a risky proposition. He might keep on winning and bring you great exposure or his competition could improve and his dominance could end. Then everyone questions whether the Demo is as fast as the Session.
  • 03-18-2013
    Rob-Bob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    SRAM....no more brake failures ...

    That's a sentence i never thought I would read.
  • 03-19-2013
    derby
  • 03-19-2013
    StuLax18
    I don't know this for sure, but I'm guessing he wasn't going full speed so he didn't risk injury on some nonsense race. Just shows how fast he is, because he nearly beats everyone without running 100% (assuming he's not going full speed)
  • 03-19-2013
    scaryfast
    Isn't this Logan's home course? He was born and raised near there, wasn't he? I believe this is his stompin grounds which makes sense why he won.
  • 03-19-2013
    happybrandon
    Mikey Sylvestri 2 seconds back in 3rd! Nice!
  • 03-19-2013
    Lelandjt
    Remember Sylvestri beat Minnaar, Hanna, ect at the 2011 Sol Vista Triple Dip Stage 1.
  • 03-20-2013
    FMX_DBC
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 782848

    Gwin looked pretty good over the weekend.
  • 03-21-2013
    dwt
    Gwin goes to Special-Ed...
    KHS did put its money where it's mouth is with the 27.5" platform, Binggeli 1st; Aiello 5th. Season will be interesting.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 03-21-2013
    FMX_DBC
    It was close though...only 0.16 of a second

    Reaper Madness/Pro GRT Round #1 Recap - Pinkbike
  • 04-01-2013
    derby
    A Specialized carbon bike won a pro DH race in Fontana this weekend, except it was a 29'er. Gwin was second on a Demo.

    Mitch Ropelato Wins Easter Sunday PRO GRT Downhill Event on a 29er | News | mountain-bike-action
  • 04-01-2013
    J:
    cool photo
  • 04-01-2013
    elsinore
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by derby View Post
    A Specialized carbon bike won a pro DH race in Fontana this weekend, except it was a 29'er. Gwin was second on a Demo.

    Mitch Ropelato Wins Easter Sunday PRO GRT Downhill Event on a 29er | News | mountain-bike-action

    This reeks of an April fools joke, even though they state otherwise. Winning a DH race on a stump jumper? That seems pretty suspect regardless of wheel size.
  • 04-01-2013
    FMX_DBC
    From what I've seen of Fontana it's not that unbelievable. Doesn't look terribly technical and there is definitely some pedaling. How many people are gonna rush out & buy that new Speshy Enduro 29er? Haha

    (EDIT - I take that back. Just saw some footage of the course and it does indeed look pretty technical in spots)
  • 04-01-2013
    StuLax18
    I saw a photo of those results, but for some reason I thought it was practice.
  • 04-01-2013
    mbell
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by FMX_DBC View Post
    From what I've seen of Fontana it's not that unbelievable. Doesn't look terribly technical and there is definitely some pedaling. How many people are gonna rush out & buy that new Speshy Enduro 29er? Haha

    You're correct. I've ridden there a few times now and I've always thought I was "forcing" it on my DH bike. A great 6" bike is perfect for most courses that they set up. But then to have an efficient bike to pedal for the last 1/8 mile sprint, could make a massive difference on your time.
  • 04-01-2013
    smellurfingers
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by FMX_DBC View Post
    From what I've seen of Fontana it's not that unbelievable. Doesn't look terribly technical and there is definitely some pedaling. How many people are gonna rush out & buy that new Speshy Enduro 29er? Haha

    (EDIT - I take that back. Just saw some footage of the course and it does indeed look pretty technical in spots)

    There's a small tech section followed by a long long pedaling finish. Probably about 80 percent pedaling. Joke of a downhill course.
  • 04-01-2013
    Lelandjt
    That should put an end to ProGRTs being held on that course.
  • 04-01-2013
    dv8xin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    There's a small tech section followed by a long long pedaling finish. Probably about 80 percent pedaling. Joke of a downhill course.

    Quite an exaggeration, but it can be considered relatively pedally compared to others, due to the 2 relatively flat stretches of pedal sections. The difference between Fontana/Southridge and the other flat stretches found in other DH courses, is that they build rollers, tables, doubles, and such on those flat stretches in the other courses. I don't think you pedal for more than 20 seconds at a time in Fontana; compare that to South Africa or something, if you want to judge courses by how "pedally" it is. I prefer to consider factors such as the dirt characteristics of the course...
  • 04-01-2013
    smellurfingers
    Southridge actually has uphill pedal sections as part of it's DH course. There's Enduro courses that are more DH like.
  • 04-02-2013
    pizon
    does this mean all the pinkbike kids are going to sell trade thier demos for stumpjumpers?
  • 04-02-2013
    MOJO K
    After reading most of this, the one thing that really stood out... at round 1, Jackie Harmony was 44 seconds better than second place!!! 44... WHAT!
  • 04-02-2013
    dv8xin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    Southridge actually has uphill pedal sections as part of it's DH course. There's Enduro courses that are more DH like.

    You do realize they change the course every race?
  • 04-02-2013
    smellurfingers
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    You do realize they change the course every race?

    Yep, but it's still a lot of the same and always has the long pedal section at the end. Time wise the pedal section is always longer than the DH. A good part of the pedal section is uphill, and it's on every DH track variation.

    A 29er will lost a bit of ground if the track has some of the tight hairpins they occasionally use, but pedal finish is long enough to more than make up for it.

    There is a section of the track they rarely use and it's tough even for some pros to clean. It's a steep drop across the face that's really rocky. It's really not much of a DH race feature because you lose a ton of momentum to be able to roll it. Once you're through it you better be ready to pedal for a long time.
  • 04-03-2013
    elsinore
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    does this mean all the pinkbike kids are going to sell trade thier demos for stumpjumpers?

    No, but I think it means that middle age 29er Zealots will invade every gravity forum on the internet insisting all DH'ers switch to some type of larger diameter wheel with fundamental-like religious fervor.
  • 04-03-2013
    Tim F.
    Any of you 29ers want to trade me for my M9 and some lycra?.....NOT!
  • 04-03-2013
    Fix the Spade
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I gotta say, after the last year having him switch to your company's frame is kind of a risky proposition. He might keep on winning and bring you great exposure or his competition could improve and his dominance could end. Then everyone questions whether the Demo is as fast as the Session.

    This strikes me as a bit of a no win situation for Spesh, if Gwin keeps winning it's because he's Aaron Gwin and he could win on a penny farthing. If he doesn't win it's because the Demo is holding him back.

    Even worse, if Brooke McDonald wins then it's 'proof' that Trek make the best bike, not sure even Spesh's marketing men could make up the gap if that happens.
  • 04-03-2013
    Fix the Spade
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    This reeks of an April fools joke, even though they state otherwise. Winning a DH race on a stump jumper? That seems pretty suspect regardless of wheel size.

    Don't forget Jared Graves won the Sea Otter DH with a Yeti 4X and the longest seat post in the world, a 29er with 120mm travel doesn't seem such a stretch against that.
  • 04-05-2013
    dv8xin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    Yep, but it's still a lot of the same and always has the long pedal section at the end. Time wise the pedal section is always longer than the DH. A good part of the pedal section is uphill, and it's on every DH track variation.

    A 29er will lost a bit of ground if the track has some of the tight hairpins they occasionally use, but pedal finish is long enough to more than make up for it.

    There is a section of the track they rarely use and it's tough even for some pros to clean. It's a steep drop across the face that's really rocky. It's really not much of a DH race feature because you lose a ton of momentum to be able to roll it. Once you're through it you better be ready to pedal for a long time.

    They haven't used that steep drop ever since they decided to make the course take more than 2 minutes. The "uphill" portion of the pedal section ends/crests at the road crossing. This is part of the DH half before it spits you out onto that fireroad with the slight incline.



    Sea Otter has nothing like this. I don't even think they have anything resembling a rock garden nor a steep. Not sure why people like to compare them. There are people crashing and getting injured at Fontana, especially this round since it was dry and had little traction. Sure you can ride it on a trail bike, but I don't think there's many that will be faster than a DH bike in the more technical half. It's not as easy as people are trying to make it out to be. It's common to see a 30 second spread between racers within a class, that are not due to crashes.
  • 04-05-2013
    Dispatch
    Pro GRT Round #2 at Fontana Video - Pinkbike
    That's footage of the track they used that day. Race run starts at 0:26 and for about the first 40 seconds there is about 8 seconds worth of technical stuff. Then at 1:46-2:06 he is basically sprinting on a fire road. THEN at 2:17 until finished he is sprinting on another section of fire road. Total of about 1:10 worth of fire road sprinting and 0:32 worth of non technical single track. Thats 1:42 out of a 2:41 second race.
  • 04-05-2013
    smellurfingers
    DH racing needs flow. Dropping a couple of technical sections, no matter how steep or rough they are, doesn't make it a DH course. Rolling a couple drops and peddling like mad is more Enduro than DH.