Thread: Gsr Hooligan

mtbr member
    May 2017

Gsr Hooligan

Hi! This would be my first post on here.. I work at a bike shop in Commack and have seen plenty of sweet bikes roll through. Usually none catch my attention to the point of bringin it home untill this beauty rolled through the shop.
    Gsr Hooligan-img_1744.jpg
    She came in with blown up Manitou Minute 3s. At the time i didnt know if it was worth 400 to me so my boss sent them off to Manitou to have them rebuilt. They came back working and before i could get my hands on the bike it another man purchased the bike for 700. Few months go by and sure enough i see him around town at a gas station. Low and behold the forks are blown up yet again. He told me 350 and i rode her home. At that very moment my bank account lost 350. Now i have a sweet frame (all american made and welded aluminium weighing in at 3.6 pounds) but its built up with a mix of vintage shimano deore xt parts and newer things. I made the executive decision to sell everything but the bars stem seat and seatpost cranks and chainring as they were all high end by todays standards.Now time to sell of all this vintage junk. A few months later and its all gone. Somehow got a total of 350 for it all... So now it was time. Found a NOS Manitou Sherman for $195, 135mm-150. aAs for the Minute 3 she came with, it was beyond repair, the lower air stantions were damaged beyond repair. I went ahead and found a cannondale coda wheelset on craigslist for 50. Bought a 4 bolt rotor in 160mm for $30 (it was stupid hard to find cause cannondales proprietary and annoying) and a Shimano rear hydraulic on ebay for 60. Also decided to run Continental 2.4s and they grip like no other tire ive had before. Got a new thumb shifter for 30 and kept the original derailleur cause it shifted quick and crisp. At this very moment i love it, but the one downfall of this is chainslap, oh chainslap. Just ordered a large lizard skin neopreme guard for it and hope it will fit the massive chainstay. But yeah, heres a picture of it as she stands right now. Couldnt be happier, cant wait to shred it this weekend. Feel free to throw me any ideas you have of upgrades! Gsr Hooligan-img_1743.jpg
    Last edited by jmayer; 05-29-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Glad to Be Alive
    my that is a sweet bike...love the color
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days