mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Grimeca System 11 brake fade

I just bought a Haro DHR at the end of last year and have only put a few rides on it so far. When riding downhill the rear brake lever would drop almost to the handlebar after riding a short time. So I shortened the brake line to the correct length for the bike and bled the brakes. I rode the bike around town for a few days and had no problems. I went to killington vermont this weekend, after a short trip the same thing started again. I have been told by some that the rear brake is getting hot and then starts to fade. If I pump the lever a couple of times then it feels right. After a couple more minutes the lever is real close to the bar again. It is a real bad feeling to come flying into a turn and grab the lever and have nothing there. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Maybe switch to a brake fluid with a higher boiling point? I'm running grimeca system 8's and they work great, even at the point where the rotor gets hot enough to steam water if it's poured on it (I got curious after a run once...).
    ...he said "young man pay heed, you listen well to what i say, now there comes a time for a man to walk away"

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That sound like a good place to start. Does anyone reccomend a good high heat brake fluid??

mtbr member
    Actually, you could also go with some DOT 5.1 fluid, just not DOT 5. Go to your local auto parts store and browse through the brake section.. DOT 4 will probably be the best balance between cost and performance. They should list the wet and dry boiling points on the bottle.
    ...he said "young man pay heed, you listen well to what i say, now there comes a time for a man to walk away"