mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Got my 2011 Demo to work properly with my Fox 40 and NSR4 rack

Just thought I'd share this tidy little solution with you guys.

1. The Fork. Curse Specialized for not accommodating the Fox 40 lower crown. The combination of flush integrated lower headset cup and down tube diameter/curvature causes contact with the rear-facing bolts on the 40 lower crown. In the event of a major crash this would cause huge dents. It also hugely limits turning radius.

The Fox40-specific bumpers provided by Specialized are totally insufficient. The vast majority of riders will be using either a Boxxer or a 40 so it seems like a huge oversight on an otherwise brilliantly-designed bike to overlook this problem.

So I ordered a standard lower 1.5 > 1 1/8 reducer lower cup from Hope (can't remember the exact product # - Lou or Andrew from Obsession in Vancouver could tell ya!). Nice sealed bearings. Its 7mm stack height gives the crown bolts just enough room to clear the down tube. Obviously products from other manufacturers could achieve the same end.

The extra height wasn't an issue for me as I'm already struggling to get the front end tall enough. I had enough steerer tube to spare. Turning radius is now awesome again.

2. The Rack. The headset also solved the NSR4 rack compatibility issue. The original problem was that the 1.5 head tube would sit flush against the lower crown giving no room to manoeuvre the rack prongs in. This lower cup gives the prongs more room to get around the crown. Works great.

First world problems, huh?

keystone addict
    Nice fix!
    [SIZE="4"]I kinda wish my brakes actually worked, but I guess that just makes me faster, right?[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Nice workaround. In all honesty though, the 40 crowns are a poor design to begin with since the clamp bolt locations stick out giving you less clearance. I didn't like the thought of raising my ht, so I have aftermarket crowns that eliminate the issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Which after market lower crown are you using on the demo
    The steer tube I have is too short so I have to replace it anyways

So
    If I can get a lower crown to fix the issue I won't need to buy a new headset also

Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The only aftermarket crowns I know of are the Function Inertia Project crowns and Risse.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Monkeybidnezz ^^^ says aftermarket
    I'm curious as to which one exactly
    And pics if avail

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I mentioned the two because if he has aftermarket, it would have to be one of the two. Risse is more common, machined a bit cleaner/nicer, and are a bit more expensive. I imagine he has the Risse crowns

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Understood
    I believe function inertia is out of stock
    And the risse one looks nice but I don't see how it would fix the Clarence issue

And without confirmation I'd be guessing and buying parts that may or not may not fix said issue :/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Your best bet is to get a new lower headset cup, not a whole new headset, just the lower cup. It would be more cost effective than new crowns, even if you got a whole new headset. If you don't like the idea of raising your ht, then compensate with your stanchions position in the crowns. The dw-link dhr I have has the same problem with 40 compatibility, got a slightly taller lower cup and now have no problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    150 for the risse bottom crown
    Not too bad

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    And I need a new steer tube anyways
    Too short lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That'll solve your problems then. Does the demo have fork bumpers integrated into the frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    No
    They have these lame "bumpers" that sit on the 40 lower crown and lessen your turn radius considerably..

I'm still curious which crown was meantioed above

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Look into the ODI lockon fork bumpers for the 40, around 15 bucks but well worth it. Can be installed without removing forks and won't slide around on you and leaves plenty of room for good turning radius

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'd like to say we're getting off topic here
    Lol

2011/12/13 specialized demo 8 has "clearance " issues in regards to the fox 40 lower clamp colliding with the down tube.
    ( well known issue) specialized answer is a wedge looking bumper that sits on/over the lower crown (plenty of pics online) in my opinion thesis NOT a solution , it's a bandaid to a design flaw

Here's the solution so far
    Buy a external cup headset (which I have no problem in doing) with an external cup headset my steerer tube will be too short, so now I have to buy a new lower clamp/steerer tube assembly and an external cup headset..

There is a post above claiming that there is an aftermarket lower clamp and steerer tube assembly available that will solve the issue of clearance without buying a headset also

Therefore I am looking for specific info on the exact lower clamp and steerer tube that was mentioned above