mtbr member
    May 2013

GoPro tips for DH

Hey guys,
    just hoping I could get some tips for my Go Pro hero 2 camera. I'll lay out some info first so it's easier to give a reply.

I use the chest mount, with it flipped upside down, so the viewing angle is perfect. But viewing it, it's very shaky. I don't have any editing programs, ideally like to upload straight to YouTube.

so, my questions are,

is there any mods (foam, cardboard between chest and mount) that work to ease the shaking?

what is the best setting for smooth playback. I don't edit in slow mo or anything, and don't care for 1080 really. Just want the easiest to watch. So suggestions on resolution and frame rate?

lastly, any cheap or free programs that combat this issue very well?

cheers guys, any comments would be awesome. I'm from London, ontario and am making the 11 hour trip to highland this weekend to get some pre season raining, and really want to clock some great footage to share.

Cheers!

Pivotal figure
    All my friends that use the chest mount have to really tighten the straps down to minimize the shaking. I prefer the helmet mount myself but even with that I have to use a thin layer of tape on the quick release mount to take up the slack in there.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    The YouTube video editor has a stabilizer. When you upload the video, open the editor and drag your video into the "project." When you hover the cursor over the video, click on the little magic wand.

All my videos were made using the Youtube editor until my wife and I upgraded the computer:

The standard windows video editing software also has a stabilizer.

I agree with you regarding the chest mount. The helmet mount makes it look like the camera is just floating down the trail - you really don't get a sense of what's going on between the camera and the ground. The chesty shows the bike, the body english, and just generally adds to the "drama" of the depicted ride. Much more exciting to watch IMO.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member

GoPro tips for DH

I like the chest view too, but I haven't been able to conquer the shaking. It's a bit annoying, but dropping the camera off the side of the helmet around your jaw gives a little better angle then on top and provides the stability of a head mount.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks guys. Any suggestion for frame rate? Obviously going fast through the woods, so is 30 fps enough? Or should I do 60. I read somewhere that when uploading to YouTube or Vimeo, it just knocks the frame rate down anyway.

mtbr member

GoPro tips for DH

Unless you're doing slomo, just do 30. And if it's only going on the web, 720 or 960 is plenty big. 1080 can be cumbersome to work with unless you've got a speedy computer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BinaryBike View Post
    I like the chest view too, but I haven't been able to conquer the shaking. It's a bit annoying, but dropping the camera off the side of the helmet around your jaw gives a little better angle then on top and provides the stability of a head mount.
    this is what I do. I find chest mount videos a bit weird, with the disembodied arms and whatnot

mtbr member
    May 2006
    you need a Go Pro chest dampening unit. just make sure it's worn inside the jersey or they'll beat you in the face! Name:  go pro chest damper.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  2.3 KB
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/