Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

GoPro helmet placement/mounting tips? (on FF helmet)

I just got a GoPro Hero and was trying to figure out the best place to mount it to my full face helmet. For example it seems like most of the GoPro company produced videos have the camera mounted on the top of the helmet just behind the visor. When I was in Northstar it seemed like most everyone had their GoPros placed on the side of the helmet, close to the goggle strap.

Does anyone have any recommendations on whether the top or side mount is better? Or does the perspective change much between the two? etc?

(I figure mounting on the very top of the helmet is probably a safer location for the camera then the side.)

Thanks for the help!

Proud lame eBiker
    The problem with mounting it on top of the helmet is that it is then THAT much higher up from the ground which falttens out the terrain that much more.

Go for the Chest Strap. So much better footage. Get it angled right and you get your hands and bar at the bottom of the screen and it gives it a much better perspective of what you're actually riding.

For what it's worth, before I got the chestie I ran it on the side of the helmet. Side mount is a bit better with not getting hit by low lying branches.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I don't think that any location is safer than one or the other. My opinion is that the side mounted position (eye level) with just the tip of the visor and or "chin" of the helmet is nice to give the viewer a perspective of distance (it gives them a point of reference). I agree with Internal14; the chest mount is probably the most "accurate" representation of the trail/ride. All mounts suffer from being able to portray the steepness of the trails but the chesty seems to help convey the speed of the trail the best and help the viewer feel like they are in the cockpit. Whichever you choose, the best thing to do is to switch it up from time to time. No one wants to watch 5 minutes of a static shot. I either use a few cameras or switch between runs and chop them together on edit to give different angles. Oh yeah, here is a recent N* video with GoPro side mounted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXt4XrmddrY

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ^^^ dude did you **** that guys wheel up and or his ankle?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I actually ran over his arm and then bent his rear wheel. Both survived and rode out. I saw him falling and thought he was gonna hold his line (on the left) but then he spun out in front of me. We get a kick out of the video. Priceless.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. I've read a lot of people that like the chest mount but haven't seen a lot of video to get a feel for it. I think I've read people say to hang it upside down. Thanks again.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I wrote a 2 part article on pinkbike about how to use and mount the GoPro. It was on the homepage. Do a search and you'll find it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    I wrote a 2 part article on pinkbike about how to use and mount the GoPro. It was on the homepage. Do a search and you'll find it
    Funny you mention that. I was looking for that article because I remembered seeing it but couldn't find the search box at the time (Their site layout is not very good imo, which causes me to not go on there much) However, I just found the search box.

Thanks for the comment, it pushed me to look for the search box again. I'm checking out the article now.

mtbr member
    I just checked out the articles, very cool ideas on there. I didn't see anything on handlebar mounts (unless I missed it) and since you seem quite experienced could you give me any feedback/thoughts on the handlebar mount?

(I'm taking my GoPro out for the first time this Saturday on a big shuttle ride that I don't get to do very often, as a result I'm trying to figure out as much as I can before my trip. So far I haven't been able to locate any stores close to me that have the chest strap in stock so my only choices are the helmet and the handle bar mounts.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff
    Thanks for the feedback. I've read a lot of people that like the chest mount but haven't seen a lot of video to get a feel for it. I think I've read people say to hang it upside down. Thanks again.
    We are new to jumping, so don't judge the video..this gives you an idea of what you can get in the shot with the chesty mount.

Pivotal figure
    If you go with the side mount on the FF make sure your shoulder pads don't hit it when turning. I had mine a bit too low and it was very annoying and distracting. Moved it forward and up just slightly and all was right.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Thank you for the video Jason! (Jumping is my weak area so I'm not going to judge )

Thanks for the note kenbentit. That's one of those things I probably wouldn't even think about when I'm mounting it only to get part way down the trail and be frustrated.

webative, just saw the video (vids are blocked at work). That's pretty funny, but kind of painful looking.

mtbr member
    I just got an HD one with a chesty... I do not like that angle at all... I haven't checked but is it adjustable (as in more up)?

Quote Originally Posted by jason333
    We are new to jumping, so don't judge the video..this gives you an idea of what you can get in the shot with the chesty mount.

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I just got an HD one with a chesty... I do not like that angle at all... I haven't checked but is it adjustable (as in more up)?
    Yes. From what I've read a lot people now run the camera upside down on the harness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by webative
    Oh man, consider yourself lucky.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mtbr member
    Yes. From what I've read a lot people now run the camera upside down on the harness.
    Does the camera have a switch for that or something?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Does the camera have a switch for that or something?
    Yeah, if you picked up the camera fairly recently you should have the firmware for it and just have to read the instructions. If it's older then you may have to update the firmware.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Make sure you don't have any straps that will hang in front of the camera when using the chest mount.

Have someone double check the camera is staight after mounting on helemt

Chest mount video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLFyVmMfDN8

Side helmet mount
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwtwEqOAH8

Top of helmet mount
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwtwEqOAH8

Handle bar mount
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TECPxMb0Trc

Ancient Chinese Secret
    I agree, chest mount is best. It gives you perspective, is lower to the ground and it feels like you're riding with the 2 arms in the shot. Also, you can see when you're doing whips and other tricks.

Here's an example from A-Line at Whistler this summer using my old SD GoPro, have since picked up an HD unit:

Too bad for Contour since its config rules out the chest mount option.

Agree that editing is key on video, esp, helmet cam. I was too lazy on this one, so feel free to FF where needed.
    Last edited by Swell Guy; 01-10-2011 at 09:28 PM.

mtbr member
    89hawk and Swell Guy thank you guys very much for the videos! They are really a big help. In the chest mounted videos I found while researching I really wasn't crazy about the chest mount but both of your guys' videos make that camera angle look really good. In most of the other videos I've seen it seems like cameras were pointed more downward and as a result the viewers perspectives were much more limited and/or less desirable.

Do either of you have any specific tips for finding the correct angle of setup on the chest mount? Do you hang it up upside down? (I'm definitely picking up a chest mount now.)

89Hawk the selection of the different perspectives really helped! Some of those trails looked pretty fun too.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Do either of you have any specific tips for finding the correct angle of setup on the chest mount? Do you hang it up upside down? (I'm definitely picking up a chest mount now.)
    It was trial and error, but basically, my camera is mounted on the chest plate right side up with the top of the camera hitting the chest plate. I other words, it's angled up about as much as possible. Your mileage may vary depending on angle of riding, bike, type of riding, etc...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swell Guy
    It was trial and error, but basically, my camera is mounted on the chest plate right side up with the top of the camera hitting the chest plate. I other words, it's angled up about as much as possible. Your mileage may vary depending on angle of riding, bike, type of riding, etc...
    Okay, that makes sense. I really like that perspective in your video. Thanks again!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I just checked out the articles, very cool ideas on there. I didn't see anything on handlebar mounts (unless I missed it) and since you seem quite experienced could you give me any feedback/thoughts on the handlebar mount?

(I'm taking my GoPro out for the first time this Saturday on a big shuttle ride that I don't get to do very often, as a result I'm trying to figure out as much as I can before my trip. So far I haven't been able to locate any stores close to me that have the chest strap in stock so my only choices are the helmet and the handle bar mounts.)
    I deliberately didn't include anything about the handlebar mount because it doesn't work in DH/FR use. The mount barely works even on smooth trails. There's too much vibration transmitted by the bike to the camera in that use

mtbr member
    I deliberately didn't include anything about the handlebar mount because it doesn't work in DH/FR use. The mount barely works even on smooth trails. There's too much vibration transmitted by the bike to the camera in that use
    That's too bad, the idea seems interesting. Btw, good & interesting article.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Swell Guy
    This is how I mount mine. I like it when there is someone right in front me. With the wide lens on the Gopro you need to be about 3 feet from the back wheel of the person.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast