Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wanna ride bikes?

Is this a good deal? Xmas/bday/graduation bike shopping

Hey guys, like the title says I'm shopping for a new bike for my birthday/Christmas/graduation present, and wanted your opinions on this Blindside I found.

09 Transition Blindside - Pinkbike

Before people recommend other bikes I just want to say I am just about 100% set on Transition. I think they're great guys that make rad bikes who actually care about their riders, and after crushing it in Wyoming for a few days on a Bottlerocket, there's no other brand I can see myself riding.

With that said, I was looking for either a blindside or bottlerocket for 2000 or less. A bottlerocket is pretty much dead on for what I ride here in my hometown, but I'm going to college in Colorado and feel like it wouldn't be enough for some of the rougher terrain.

So after finding this bike, I would appreciate a few opinions, such as:

Is this a good value? The bike seems to be treated well with decent specs, but it is three years old, 2000 seems steep for this age?

Does it jump well? I know it won't jump just like a BR, but does it come close? Would I have to put a single crown on it to achieve decent flick ability?

Thanks for any responses, and I apologize for any rambling/grammatical errors, I'm in class posting from my phone.

Living the High Life
    I live in CO and ride resorts, trail and even the road! Really though, I'd say it depends what kind of shape that Fox 40 is in. They are great forks, but if they are neglected new stanchions can run you a few hundred $$. The rest of the build looks ok and the price is fair, but I wouldn't call it a good deal for a 3+ year old bike. Keep in mind places sell their rental bikes. Trestle Bike Park® - Bike Sales Winter Park even includes a season pass and some gear. They don't have Transition, like you want, but check the price point against this bike.

I've been on a Transition BR and their TR450, but not a Blindside. BR is definitely a good bike for jumps/FR/Winter Park type stuff. It will be a big squirrely on rocky high speed stuff at say Keystone or Angel Fire. That's where the TR450 shines, it's a sled. Maybe some one else can pipe in and say which way the blindside leans, there's also their dirtbag model.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That looks nice as hell. Don't know how the BS rides but I've only heard good things about them, good for pedaling and good and playful descenders. The way my TR250 rides, I doubt the same company can do something that is crap o_O

//Noticed your questions now. I've heard its playful yes, I'd swap to a Totem/36 Van though. Love the Van on my TR.
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

Moose Member
    That Blindside looks sick! good parts, the 40 looks clean. I'd look around a bit more, but definitely keep that one in mind.

Now, having ridden an M1, and an Evil Revolt, then downsizing to a RM Slayer SS, I love it! Sure it can't handle the super gnar burly stuff as well as a big bike (note I said 'as well' it can still handle it, just not at race speeds...), but the bike is just so much fun! it's light(ish), playful, easy to manuver, and hops around wherever I want it too. It jumps remarkably too! When i get home in the summer, I'm taking it out to my old DJ spots. When I upgrade bike in a year or two, I'm sticking 6-7" travel FR/Mini-DH. I'm just saying Keep the Bottlerocket in mind.

That said I'm not a racer or anything. I'm more of a freerider/jumper, and just like having fun, not racing and worrying about going fast.

Congrats on going to college. what college you going to? (BTW being two weeks from finishing my first semester at college... IT's so much fun, I can't even describe it. You're going to love it.)

Wanna ride bikes?
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm definitely keeping the BR in mind as I'm not really looking to race or anything like that, and I've got on offer on one prett mint for 1700.

I just think it'd be better to have too much bike as opposed to not enough right? And the travel difference between the two isn't all too much, although I could be wrong. When I was in Wyoming I saw a kid a lot younger than me throwing a BS with a dual crown around like it was cake.

And thanks Moosey, right now I'm looking at CSU and UCBoulder, but I just got a few emails from WCU so we'll see how it goes, it all depends on who waives my out of state fees first haha.

EDIT: the bottlerocket I mentioned.

Medium Transition Bottlerocket - Pinkbike

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox362 View Post
    And thanks Moosey, right now I'm looking at CSU and UCBoulder, but I just got a few emails from WCU so we'll see how it goes, it all depends on who waives my out of state fees first haha.
    Good idea, out of state and private school tuition is EF'n ridiculous.

*edit

Seriously the add says "Fox 36- brand new last year" Well then it isn't new right? My bike was brand new 2 years ago.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    For Colorado the Blind Side might be a little out of place. I'd recommend either a full DH bike or a more of a jump bike like the bottle rocket. At the lifts, I think a DH bike is best (with the exception of Winter Park if you like jumps and sidewalk smooth trails). In terms of DH shuttles, well they are steep and loose. You will not find any "flow" trails similar to those in the PNW where the BS can shine on more of a freeride style of riding.

I'm finishing up at CU Boulder. Don't expect to find any DH trails in town. I'd recommend a xc/am bike if you want to get a lot of riding in. Some goes for CSU at FoCo.

Good luck on getting instate tuition for you're first couple years, they're pretty strict. It took me two years and a couple loop holes to qualify.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Well my budget just took a hit for some reasons, so it looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on that bottlerocket. Silly "new last year" things and funky stem aside, I think it looks like a pretty solid machine, and I figure the shorter travel will keep me from being too much of a hack.

EDIT: Didn't see that^ Thanks for the info. Glad I'm going with the BR now. I'm totally okay with going a while to get to trails/parks, nothing could be as bad as living out here in Texas. Hell I'd have to drive almost 7 hours just to get to AngelFire, much less Utah or Winter Park. The in-state tuition thing really is pretty tricky. They waived it for my sister no problem, but she's also an 2 time all-state flutist whom the flute director wanted pretty badly.

Worst comes to worst I can live with some family I have in FoCo and attend community college until I qualify.
    Last edited by Lunchbox362; 12-04-2012 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah, that BR looks awesome! Are those scratches on the rear triangle though? Or just mud? I'd say go for it though

//Oh and good luck with college too! Damn we're lucky to have free education, doesn't feel as bad if it goes through taxes
    2011 Custom Transition TR250

Moose Member
    Awesome! That bottlerocket is sick! The fox fork looks like a 180mm one, so it should handle any DH you can throw at it. Looks like a solid fun bike. Let us know how it is.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Thanks everyone, I'll post up a ride report when I get it!

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    Awesome! That bottlerocket is sick! The fox fork looks like a 180mm one, so it should handle any DH you can throw at it. Looks like a solid fun bike. Let us know how it is.
    Preface: I had a Float 36 on my trail bike for years, absolutely loved that thing. Same damper as a 40 (RC2) and far more stiff than other trial forks. I almost didn't go to a 29er just because of that fork.

The 40 is definitely stiffer and better for DH. But DH seems to be subjective these days, my version is a race course. Steep, rocky or wide open down a ski run at 35+ mph.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i know you said that you have your heart set on transition, and not to recomend other makes. if you want the blindside and only have a limited budget, look at the ns soda.
    its pretty much the same bike, made in the same factory apparantly ( so i heard) you will get a brand new bike for your budget.

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    i know you said that you have your heart set on transition, and not to recomend other makes. if you want the blindside and only have a limited budget, look at the ns soda.
    its pretty much the same bike, made in the same factory apparantly ( so i heard) you will get a brand new bike for your budget.
    My local shop is a NS dealer and a Transition dealer, and he highly recommends the Soda, even though he has a bottlerocket sitting in the shop. Theres a reason Transition quit making the bottlerocket when the soda came out.

Either way, bottlerockets are sick bikes, but if you haven't made the purchase yet, the Soda would be something to look at, but if you have made the purchase, don't worry about it. You're still getting a sick bike!

Wanna ride bikes?
    I was looking really hard at the Soda for a long time, they had them complete on chainreaction for awhile, but they sold out before I could jump on one.

They do seem very similar to the rocket, but I don't think that's why transition discontinued them. I think they just wanted to push more people to the TR250 or Covert/carbon covert.

I already pulled the trigger on the black bottlerocket above and it should be here Tuesday!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    My local shop is a NS dealer and a Transition dealer, and he highly recommends the Soda, even though he has a bottlerocket sitting in the shop. Theres a reason Transition quit making the bottlerocket when the soda came out.

Either way, bottlerockets are sick bikes, but if you haven't made the purchase yet, the Soda would be something to look at, but if you have made the purchase, don't worry about it. You're still getting a sick bike!
    my brother was looking at buying one for our june whistler trip earlier this year. , ( think it was a blindside) in the end he chose the soda, a bit cheaper and pretty much the same bike. he got frame only and custom built it. totem fork, saint drive train. formula the one brakes, hope pro 2 on mavic hubs, (ex721) ns stem and chromag osx bars. he loves it, said it was awesome in the park.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Hey guys, just got the bike in the mail today, to maximum stoke-age, only to see this

Super disappointed, took it to my LBS to see if we could make it work to no avail. Sent the guy a message, hoping for either a new headset or some money back, at the very least. Real bummed out about this, because it definitely does not seem like something that could happen in shipping.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bummer, but it could be worse. At first I though that was the head tube.

I think $50 back would be fair. Cheapest 1.5" headset would be the FSA Big Fat Pig which is around $25, plus another $25 or so for installation.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRidin' View Post
    Bummer, but it could be worse. At first I though that was the head tube.

I think $50 back would be fair. Cheapest 1.5" headset would be the FSA Big Fat Pig which is around $25, plus another $25 or so for installation.
    The guy isn't answering my emails, looks like he got the better part of me. Care to link where you found that headset for $25?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Did you pay with PayPal? If so, open a claim in a day or two.

FSA The Big Fat Pig 1.5 Headset at Price Point

RideDirt
    Damn man thats really lame on the sellers part , but hope you get something from him.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Thanks guys. First time this has happened to me buying off of pinkbike Do you guys know if the big pig will fit a bottlerocket?

Moose Member
    shoot, once I sold a wheelset and forgot to mention a cracked nipple (only the nipple was cracked, other than that great wheelset) and I felt so bad I sent him $26 back, $1 for a new nipple, and $25 for a wheel truing, even after paying the $75 for shipping. I sold a $300 wheelset for $200.

I'd file a claim through Paypal. That will get him talking. If you mention to Paypal that he sent you broken product, or misadvertised the product, they usually give you your money back.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll be starting a claim in PayPal tomorrow. In the meantime does anyone know if the big fat pig will fit this frame/fork? It looked like the fork was tapered and I don't know if that requires a special headset, can anybody shed some light?

Moose Member
    If the fork is tapered, you're just going to have to get a 1.5" tapered headset, so it will fit the headtube, but the top should be a reducer to 1-1/8th. It shouldn't require anything too special.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast