Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

A Good Cheap Downhill Bike

hey i've always wanted to get into downhill, ive been riding bikes for a while and noticed the times im having real fun are when im going real fast and going off huge drops. But moneys a bit tight right now, so i was wondering, is there a good cheap downhill bike

mtbr member
    Read lots of reviews, try friends bikes. Then buy a used one in good shape?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Right here on the same page man.

Airborne Marauder DH/FR?

mtbr member

Big Hit

Specialized Big Hit is a great place to start. 3 models - should be able to find one 1-2 years old for $1000 to $1500.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I got the Iron Horse version of this http://www.rscycle.com/Airborne-TAKA...7&category=459
    and I took it to whistler and lots of other places and it has been pretty good. You might need to upgrade the brakes though.

Glad to Be Alive
    used stinky...around 600 to 800 bucks,...a good bike that you can use while you progress
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 09-11-2010 at 02:43 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    used stinky...around 600 to 800 bucks,...a good bike that you can use while you progress
    For 600-800 bucks you risk it. It may look nice on classifields but a 5+ year old stinky is an accident waiting to happen.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruda911
    I got the Iron Horse version of this http://www.rscycle.com/Airborne-TAKA...7&category=459
    and I took it to whistler and lots of other places and it has been pretty good. You might need to upgrade the brakes though.
    Airborne Taka. For 1500$ you cant go wrong. Same frame as the Ironhorse Yakuza and Im still beatin the crap outta my 06. Pivot bearings are 14 bucks and Ive only replaced mine once. Just a solid SP frame that will last you for years.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by norbar
    For 600-800 bucks you risk it. It may look nice on classifields but a 5+ year old stinky is an accident waiting to happen.

nah those bikes hold up...just got to pick a good one that isn't too abused
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

I think I'm going to agree with Shiver Me Timbers on this one. As someone that is selling a DH in the classifieds there are some bikes that are in good shape (not just mine). I doubt mine has been the only one sitting in the garage for the last 6yrs, so if you aren't set on a showoff bike the deals are out there. Granted there are some thrashed ones, so you need to look and ask questions.

mtbr member
    Thats the main problem. Pickin an 04 stinky in a good shape 2-3 years ago was possible but how many bikes havent seen abuse after so many years? The problem is that being a beginner its hard to know what to look for and you may end up buying something that will require putting money it it.
    For me a 06 big hit, Giant Faith (old one), older Ec-d or glory would be safer. They can be had for arond 1k and Id take them over something thats maybe 300$ cheaper but a bit more risky.

mtbr member
    A DH bike can go through busings/bearings in 20 rides.
    If you buy used make sure its a huge brand with lots of dealers for the bushings/bearings/shock mount bolts. (spec, trek, etc)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3034
    A DH bike can go through busings/bearings in 20 rides.
    If you buy used make sure its a huge brand with lots of dealers for the bushings/bearings/shock mount bolts. (spec, trek, etc)
    Or that they can be boght outside the bike company in a normal shop or from some aftermarket company.. Usualy its cheaper that way

Though last time I had bearings problems was 4 years ago.

In Armor We Trust
    Transition Dirtbag and Kona Stinky/Stab are both great options because they're burly, easy to find parts, you can build it for FR and/or DH, and are very affordable now. Should be easy to find one 4-6yo for $1000 in good condition with a decent build.
    DH/FR: Intense 951
    FG: KHS Flite 100

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Classifieds for sure.

What's your budget? What size frame do you want? I have a friend selling a pretty nice Glory here.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    I got my first DH bike on Craigslist. $600 for a Specialized BigHit 1and it is like butter on the jumps... well compared to my other bikes.

mtbr member
    Yep I sold a like new 07 bighit 1 last year for $600 not even a scuff on it. So the deals are there... Big hits are great and cheap, tougher than hell as well.. Or as SMT stated Konas are cheap as well...
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

In Armor We Trust
    Oh I should also add the older Santa Cruz Bullit to this list, I think it ran like 01-07 or somewhere in that neighborhood. Great bikes.
    DH/FR: Intense 951
    FG: KHS Flite 100

banned
    Apr 2010
    What year Big Hits are the good ones?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpeteinsc
    Airborne Taka. For 1500$ you cant go wrong. Same frame as the Ironhorse Yakuza and Im still beatin the crap outta my 06. Pivot bearings are 14 bucks and Ive only replaced mine once. Just a solid SP frame that will last you for years.
    +1 I've had a Taka for a month and a half now, and its a beast! Yes, its just slightly tweaked from the old Ironhorse model, but brand new for only $1200-1500? Yah can't beat that when you're on a budget.
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.

knock-knock...
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    What year Big Hits are the good ones?
    Before 05 I believe they had a 24" rear wheel for at least for a couple of years.

Just something to consider.
    i smell a rat-Patrick Henry

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just picked up a 2008 Stinky for 475 that looks brand new. Deal are out there you just got to do some hunting.

skilldest©
    hehehe waiting for mine to explode... damn thing won't break

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    buy mine, ive got a 2009 Trek session 88 fr for 2500. or best offer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast