Special Lister

Gloves and grips.

My hands have been killing me so far this year. I run Oury's and usually a regular pair of Fox gloves. The Oury's are a thicker grip do you think if I run something thinner it may help? Or get a combo of a thicker padded gloves and thiner grip...or what?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Gloves and grips.

Have you checked out ergo grips?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Try the Yeti Hardcore grips by ODI. Smaller diameter than Oury, but larger than most other grips.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    grips and gloves are a personal thing... what works for one wont always work for another. its a matter of finding one that works best for you. unfortunatly thats gonna involve experimenting.
    its possible that a thinner grip could work for you, what type of pain are you getting. does it feel like your fingers are being over stretched by the thicker grip. is the pain in the back of your hand, or the palm. if it is the back then its lickly to be cause of the thick grip as your hand is stretching to much to hold it. in this case a thinner grip could work.
    if the pain is in your palm. then as the other guy said, maybe ergo grips these are ergonomically designed to fit the natual contours (shape) of the hand, thus putting them in a more natural, more comfortable position, removing the pressure points and pain build up. or at least thats the theory.

is it defo the grips thats causing the pain. and not your cockpit set up. bar position brake lever position ect. these can create hand pain to.

i sufferd from hand pain my self. only when on holiday in whistler, doin long decents in the bike park. i switched out my hard thin grips for a fatter softer yetti grip. and it helped. well it eased the hand pain but not the arm pump lol. on my hardtail back in the uk i have lizzard skin peaty, and never had any pain. though these are quite thin.
    i just built up 2 new bikes for my coming whistler trip ( tomoz wo ho cant wait) on them i put chromag grips, cant comment yet as i aint tried em. hope they are good. or else it will be back to yetis for me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You could also try a bar with less sweep, like Renthal. I have an Easton carbon fiber bar, that i bought just to race with and a Renthal bar for training. The Easton has more sweep to it, but the Renthal is more flat (riser bar, not XC type flat bar). My hands get less fatigued with the Renthals.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

usually cranky
    my hands get overly tired with thick grips. i run thin sram ones and i have hands on the larger side. but as delirium said its really personal preference.

brownpow! (?)
    Been running Ergon E1 (GE1, GA1, GA1 Evo are all very similar) grips and it's helped me with hand fatigue on long DH days. Also run them on my Salsa WhammyBar handlebar which has a good amount of backsweep (11 I think). Since I broke a metacarpal, I've been riding with some Bellweather GelFlex halfcut gloves (very thick gel pads) and they've definitely helped alleviate the hand pain from riding the rough stuff. I've pretty much worn out my ergon E1s so I just ordered a new pair of the GA1s.
    My bike video YT channel: biiiiiiiiiiiikiiiiiiiinnnnnnng

In Armor We Trust
    Larger diameter will help with fatigue and pain. That said, the Oury grips are a horrible design. I ran some for awhile on my DH and FG bikes, and hated them. The blocks have too much space between them, and the sharp squared of edges really kills it. Switched to the RaceFace Strafe grips recently, and they're awesome. Still large diameter but much better design and despite a slightly less soft compound, waay more comfortable and noticeably less pain/fatigue.
    DH/FR: Intense 951
    FG: KHS Flite 100

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Grips that are too big for your hands will kill your hands. I had problems with Rogues, switched to Intense ODIs which are a bit narrower and loved them. Ourys are pretty much the largest grips you can buy. Chances are, you don't need that size.

There's another factor in grip selection, and that's compound. A good grip will help dampen vibration. ODI lock ons have a thick plastic core...that doesn't help dampen anything. Grab some grips that are half rubber, half plastic, and you'll have the same damping effect as a thicker grip with a hard plastic core.

Two that I've run are the RavX triple compound, and the WTB hexagon (or whatever). These are both pretty awesome grips with no twisting problems.

I tried ergons and they're made out of plastic and don't damp at all. I hated them.