Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    18

    Glory 0 2012 Paintjob Peeling off

    Hi,

    New to this forum, I have an urgent question to ask.

    This year season went very well with my new Giant Glory 0, but in the afterseason, I wanted to clean him up for the next season.
    During cleaning, A very large part of the Varnish came off together with the rear blue Glory decal.
    Results are that almost the whole rear protective Varnish came off together with almost 99% of the decal.

    Does someone knows iff this is in warranty?

    Pictures aren't possible due to the fact I'm new.

    thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carraig042's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    733
    Did you buy it new? If so, I would definitely call them up or send them an email with a picture and see what they say.

    -Brett

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    123
    Soooo Awesome!
    That bike is going to get lighter and lighter each time you clean it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    638
    I'll bite, what were and have you been using to clean your bike?

    Eric

  5. #5
    PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: StuLax18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,283
    Did it get brake fluid on it and then you rubbed that into the pain possibly?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post
    Did you buy it new? If so, I would definitely call them up or send them an email with a picture and see what they say.

    -Brett
    Yes I bought it new. Not even a scratch during transport.

    SteezusChrist

    Soooo Awesome!
    That bike is going to get lighter and lighter each time you clean it.
    haha I'd loved to but its pissing me off that the paintjob is being killed because of that.

    rugbyred

    I'll bite, what were and have you been using to clean your bike?

    Eric
    Not anything special, a watherhose and a light cleaning product that we used for cleaning up dishes.
    The hole thing came along when I rubbed the dirt away.

    StuLax18

    Did it get brake fluid on it and then you rubbed that into the pain possibly?
    Not that I did noticed, but I had the bike brought to Sram during Crankworxx at les 2 Alpes for the gearshift pad that broke off from the handle bar.
    They repaired it for free.
    I'm not sure if anything happend while being repaired.

    I'll try to post a Picture tomorrow.

    thx

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    638
    From what I understand, dish soap is a no-no. There is some sort of abrasive (possibly salt) that can help ruin the paint job via friction. By the sounds of it, I think you are talking about more than what the soap is doing.

    Eric

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    18
    I'll see because I'm not to happy that a simple soap could ruin my Glory like that.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carraig042's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    733
    Yeah, soap is not going to do that...

    -Brett

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    18
    Yes,

    I think this is a paintjob error.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    18


    This is how it looks like right now.
    Didn't dare to continue cleaning it up, so it's still a little bit dirty.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: howardyudoing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    284
    sounds like a calling for a custom paint job.

  13. #13
    ride more
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,657
    Are the decals under the clearcoat? If so, then it's a bad paint job. The frame wasn't properly cleaned/prepared after the decals were applied. I'm sure they will take care of you...

  14. #14
    2010 Glory custom FR
    Reputation: frango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    989
    deleted
    Last edited by frango; 10-31-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    pozdro
    frango

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyudoing View Post
    sounds like a calling for a custom paint job.
    Yes the decals are under the paintjob.

    That's what I've tought to.
    You just need a little bit of dust or fat go underneath it and it kills the good paintjob.
    Damn.
    Someone knows the contact to the Giantfactory?
    I did found one, but I'm afraid it's not the good one.

  16. #16
    thread crapper
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    778
    You'll have to process the warranty through a Giant dealer. Giant will not deal directly with the consumer.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,078
    That SUCKS! I'd totally go a customer powdercoat, but sadly it'll void your warranty

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    That SUCKS! I'd totally go a customer powdercoat, but sadly it'll void your warranty
    Should it be possible to just paint the whole thing?
    Just saying my old MSC F-1.0 was like just whole setup painted.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,471
    are you sure its not been caused by a stone chip or rock strike,,,,

    i would contact giant or speak to your local dealer/distributor, if it is found to be a defect then they should warranty it.

    a few years back my brother and i bought chromag fubars when we were in whistler, a few months later when the cold weather arrived in winter, the decals and clearcoat laquer flaked off, just like your frame. when we went back to whistler the following year, the local shop where we purchased them (fanatyko) told us that they had been having problems with these particular model of bars, as they were experimenting with differant annodising processes. we were advised to go down to the chromag factory in function, and speak to the owner ian ritz. he looked at both bars and explained to us that they were experimenting with differant annodises, and the ones on our bars had had alot of problems, when it got cold and damp moisture got under the laquer and caused it to peeloff. he replaced our bars with out question and even let us keep the faulty ones, saying that the damage was only cosmetic,
    so if giant are as good as everyone claims they are, and the damage isnt caused by stone/rock strike, they should replace your frame.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    114
    i had a crack on a weld of my giant trance x a few months ago, within 2 weeks of taking it to my dealer with the fault,i had a brand new frame and brand new rear shock. giant warranty is brilliant. the frames may not be the most durable, but if buying new u never have to worry with a warranty program like they have.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    are you sure its not been caused by a stone chip or rock strike,,,,

    i would contact giant or speak to your local dealer/distributor, if it is found to be a defect then they should warranty it.

    a few years back my brother and i bought chromag fubars when we were in whistler, a few months later when the cold weather arrived in winter, the decals and clearcoat laquer flaked off, just like your frame. when we went back to whistler the following year, the local shop where we purchased them (fanatyko) told us that they had been having problems with these particular model of bars, as they were experimenting with differant annodising processes. we were advised to go down to the chromag factory in function, and speak to the owner ian ritz. he looked at both bars and explained to us that they were experimenting with differant annodises, and the ones on our bars had had alot of problems, when it got cold and damp moisture got under the laquer and caused it to peeloff. he replaced our bars with out question and even let us keep the faulty ones, saying that the damage was only cosmetic,
    so if giant are as good as everyone claims they are, and the damage isnt caused by stone/rock strike, they should replace your frame.
    Well i'ff you look at the construction of the Glory there is almost no way that a rock or stone could hit that part of the frame.

    Here you see where the decal is positioned.

    cheers

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory0rider View Post
    Well i'ff you look at the construction of the Glory there is almost no way that a rock or stone could hit that part of the frame.

    Here you see where the decal is positioned.

    cheers
    if thats the case then contact giant and see if they will warranty the frame then,

  23. #23
    Dark Horse Racing
    Reputation: Scrub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    579
    You might get a new sticker kit if there is no structural damage, keep that in mind even though there is clearcoat peeling too.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    15
    hmmm thats weird maybe its just like a bad one out of the shop if you know what i mean a dud?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfox223 View Post
    hmmm thats weird maybe its just like a bad one out of the shop if you know what i mean a dud?
    Yeah I know what you mean Nightfox.
    I hope I'll get the warranty on it.
    I hope to hear soon some news!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •