mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Gear to wear when riding Downhill?

Me and a friend are starting to ride DH, but were unsure of what gear we should wear. Were far from pro, but I'v ridden bikes my whole life and my friend's just starting.

Biggest thing is, were riding quite a distance from home, so safety is a concern.

Were comfortable to spend ~$350 or so on gear, but it could be more if needed.

Main question is the Full Body Torso protection, is it worth it or is it to bulky? I'd need to fit it in a backback too. Obviously i'd throw a jersey over the top of it.
    Brand-X X Suit Adult - Black | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I'm pretty certain on Full Face/Knee/Shin/Gloves but i'm unsure on what to do with the top of my body, i'd like to protect my elbows and arms too.

What are wrist guards like, Do they restrict alot of movement? Most of my friends have had broken wrists.
    661 Wrist Wrap Pro 2013 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Thanks

P.S: I understand that riding DH comes hand in hand with injures but i'd like to minimize the risk since we are riding quite from from home.

* I posted this in the gear section, but had no replys.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you are on the right path. Something is better then nothing for sure. The pressure suit looks good and I wouldn't worry about bulkiness. The wrist guard is designed to lessen the potential of the hand snapping backwards. Don't know how far you ride to get to your biking destination but it sounds like you are planning on wearing all the gear to get there(?) I suggest getting a big back back and stuffing all the gear in it including the full face. Plenty of low cost protection and helmets that you can keep it below your budget
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Get a good full face helmet, some elbow and knee pads ( I like my 661 rage) and get familiar with your bike and how it handles. Get to know the areas where you will ride. I see so many guys eat it when they start out too confident. It takes a while to get to know any bike, especially a DH when you start hitting speeds of 30, 35, 40 mph. Take it slower for a while. You will be going faster than you can ever remember on a bicycle before you know it. When you crash at these speeds its real bad. So, get real familiar with the trail too. Surprises at 30-40 mph are pretty scary, and it all happens really fast when something goes wrong. Ride your bike around as much as you can. I take mine out on local xc trails and have a blast riding the same stuff I do on my 6" bike. It gets me a lot of hours on the DH and I am just as comfortable on it as my main AM rig. I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    if/when you fall, tuck and roll.
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    Sounds like you are on the right path. Something is better then nothing for sure. The pressure suit looks good and I wouldn't worry about bulkiness. The wrist guard is designed to lessen the potential of the hand snapping backwards. Don't know how far you ride to get to your biking destination but it sounds like you are planning on wearing all the gear to get there(?) I suggest getting a big back back and stuffing all the gear in it including the full face. Plenty of low cost protection and helmets that you can keep it below your budget
    Yeah, i'm planning on carrying it all in a bag.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarjohn21 View Post
    Get a good full face helmet, some elbow and knee pads ( I like my 661 rage) and get familiar with your bike and how it handles. Get to know the areas where you will ride. I see so many guys eat it when they start out too confident. It takes a while to get to know any bike, especially a DH when you start hitting speeds of 30, 35, 40 mph. Take it slower for a while. You will be going faster than you can ever remember on a bicycle before you know it. When you crash at these speeds its real bad. So, get real familiar with the trail too. Surprises at 30-40 mph are pretty scary, and it all happens really fast when something goes wrong. Ride your bike around as much as you can. I take mine out on local xc trails and have a blast riding the same stuff I do on my 6" bike. It gets me a lot of hours on the DH and I am just as comfortable on it as my main AM rig. I hope this helps.
    I'l be getting a 661 comp helmet, I ride bikes everyday so i'l get some KM's up pretty quick

Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    if/when you fall, tuck and roll.
    Yeah, i'm all to comfortable with that... Bmx..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: Gear to wear when riding Downhill?

If I'm going down technical DH I just wear kneepads, shorts, high rise socks, jersey, helmet (back of head protected), camelbak, gloves.

Not sure why ya need to wear $350 worth of gear to be honest... But safe is no doubt always a good thing!

Socks protect from brushes and sticks on singletracks, knee pads are nice to have as I've really bruised my inner knee on the frame before, camelbak protects my back when I flip over...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My DH getup consists of:

Body Armor: Troy Lee Designs HW7850
    Knee/Shin guards: POC VPD 2.0 long
    Elbow guards: POC VPD 2.0
    Neck: LEATT, LEATT, LEATT, Did I say Leatt?
    Helmet: Troy Lee D3
    Hip/Butt: POC VPD 2.0 Shorts
    Gloves: Duh

I'm debating wearing the TLD wrist guards going forward. My advice would be to go lighter on the pressure suit. The TLD 7850 breathes and is light. Some of those pressure suits are restrictive/hot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Saw this this a.m....

How to ride DH safely and WIN! - Pinkbike Forum

Havent read the whole thing, but seems like what you are asking should be in there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Troy Lee 7850 is what I wear and really like it since it isn't super bulky. It is relatively cool and does not restrict movement. I have taken a few hard spills and one in particular on a sharp rock and that shirt saved me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    TLD 7850. Packable, breaths and has rib protection which most pressure suites dont.
    TLD helments are nice but pricey. I used $70 Bell helments for over 6 years with no problems, although my current Troy Lee is super comfortable. Leate (neck brace) is a must. Knee/ shin combinations with a hard plastic external shell. Elbow/foream pads. Gloves. You can go with the padded shorts and wrist braces if you want, both will save you when you need them.

Also keep in mind just because you are an experianced XC or all mtn rider, your still a beginner DH rider. Were your gear and take your time getting used to the geometry of the DH bike and the terraign your riding. don't get in over your head too quickly.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    This year, I'll be wearing knees, elbows, and full face (all Kali, just fits me better). Wore a pack to protect spine in the past, but I got a torso protector (forget what brand) and Leatt.

None of the "pressure suits" fit me well, so I have all separate pads. My suggestion, don't buy chest protection with the zipper in the middle. If you take a stem to the sternum, you'll have zero protection. Mine zips up the side.

Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshHat98 View Post

What are wrist guards like, Do they restrict alot of movement? Most of my friends have had broken wrists.

661 Wrist Wrap Pro 2013 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    I broke my wrist (9 screws and a metal plate) back in November riding a XC trail (I know it was a stupid injury) and since I've been back on the bike I've been wearing the 661 wrist wrap. It doesn't restrict my ability to shift, brake or hold the bars. I haven't had much of a crash since I've been wearing them so I can't tell you how well they work, but they at least give me a little added confidence when I ride now.

Team Chilidog!
    While we're talking about gear--what's the general consensus on shoes? High tops for ankle protection or low tops for mobility?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    While we're talking about gear--what's the general consensus on shoes? High tops for ankle protection or low tops for mobility?
    I wear all low tops. If riding DH then a beefy DH shoe will help against smashed toes. 510 impact and 510 vxi free rider are my shoes of choice. I have yet to get a rock to the ankle though. Maybe the POC ankle protector things would help if thats something you are worried about. I personally have just never been a hightop guy

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Gloves
    Knee pads
    Elbow guards
    Helmet

I think that's the minimum. Just remember, when you do tuck and roll you're usually going to get some rock rash on your elbow, and the pads are super nice then. Everything else is up to you and depends on how hard you're going to ride.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I have risen with both. Originally, I bought high tops because of a concern for ankle injuries. Rode them for years without any issues.
    Then I bought a pair of low tops after forgetting my shoes on a trip.
    I've realized that once I start pedaling, I really don't notiice a difference at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    When I'm trying something new, or hitting a trail I haven't ridden in ages, I'll put on the body suit, but normally I just wear a full face and knee pads. No gloves.

OMG!
    depends what youre riding. when i first started out with dh i was doing shuttle laps and lift access, so i wore the whole setup- helmet, gloves, 5.10 boots, raceface knee/shin, and a rockgarden flack jacket.

i dont usually wear that much anymore, but back then it saved my skin, as i would crash just about every ride.