The Other Dude

Function Bikes Fox 40 Crowns?

Anyone ever heard of tried these? I was looking to get a the newer version of the Fox 40 top crown for my bike when i stumbled upon these, it seems like a pretty good price, and they look really sick and stiff, yet claim to be lighter than the stock crowns. Its something like 190 for the upper/lower crown set with the integrated stem, or around 120 i believe for the upper crown/stem combo only. Considering fox charges $65 for just the upper crown, and a nice integrated stem like a sunline or E13 can run anywhere from $70-100 i was thinking about giving these a try. Just wondering if anyone had any opinions. Here is a link:

http://www.function-bikes.com/Bike-P...uct-flyer.html
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

The Other Dude
    Well seeing as I am looking to put these on my Demo 7, and it has a 1.5" steerer tube, would I be better off going with these, and getting a reducing headset, or would i be better off getting the Risse Racing Upper and lower crowns that have a 1.5" steerer tube,and using the stock cane creek 1.5" headset?

Any advantages/disadvantages?
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut8
    Well seeing as I am looking to put these on my Demo 7, and it has a 1.5" steerer tube, would I be better off going with these, and getting a reducing headset, or would i be better off getting the Risse Racing Upper and lower crowns that have a 1.5" steerer tube,and using the stock cane creek 1.5" headset?

Any advantages/disadvantages?
    how would these be better off for the 1.5" headtube?

1.5" steerer on a Fox40...? is there such a thing as stiffness over kill?

Premium Member
    I would get a reducer personally - lower bar height. 1.5 still looks really weird visually to me, but that's just a personal preference.

The Other Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by brillantesdv
    how would these be better off for the 1.5" headtube?

1.5" steerer on a Fox40...? is there such a thing as stiffness over kill?
    That is what i am asking? The bike I am putting it on has a 1.5" headtube, should i go for the reducer, or get the Risse Racing Crown for the 40 with the 1.5" steerer tube?

mtbr member
    Is there even such a thing as a 40 with a 1.5 steerer?

The Other Dude

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    get the reducers, and a normal crown/direct mount stem. probably lighter, and more options as far as stem length and rise.

Risse's weights are probably based on the older crowns, not the new 09's

The Other Dude
    I guess the thing that i am considering is that i already have a 1.5 headset on the bike, so these are my options:

1. Buy the Reducing Headset, an 09 Fox direct mount top crown, and a direct mount stem

2. Buy the Reducing Headset, and Buy the Function Racing Crown that comes with the direct mount stem

3. Keep my current headset, Buy the Risse Racing Upper and lower crown, and buy a direct mount stem.

?????

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    It seems like your stack height would be excessive with a normal headset. If you go reducer, your head-angle will be a touch steeper, and your BB would be lower. You'd also have to make sure your handlebar height isn't too tall.

Heres a link where you can plug in the numbers to see how much of a difference that lower cup would make. You can just add it's measurement to the axel-to crown and see the difference.

Function is a local company to me so I would go with them personally. Risse hasn't been the most reliable company to get product from in the past... (Even lately if you read the Oregon forums.)
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

whistler
    Mar 2004
    i've had the function upper crown for a year. beautifully machined, perfect fit, very stiff. weight is comparable to stock crown plus bolt-on stem (ie. sunline).