Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Full write up and photos of my first ride on the 2011 canfield jedi!

Full Write up and pictures here: http://kwracing.wordpress.com/

Text only:

Now i have been riding bikes for about 3 years now and i have 2 years of DH biking under my belt so i have a decent idea of how a big bike handles, how it pedals, and what happens when you hit some rough terrain. For example rock gardens, roots, jumps, etc. well on Thursday afternoon everything i thought i knew went out the window, I got to ride my 2011 Canfield Jedi for the first time. As soon as i got it built up i got a ton of compliments on how this thing looks it is just straight up sexy! I ended up going for the black frame with blue links and it turned out killer!

The next thing that jumped out on me was the pedaling efficiency i was so excited to ride the bike after i built it up i took it off of the bike stand at my local shop and sprinted the 2 miles home full bore and the entire time i was just laughing.This 39 pound full on 8 inch travel bike was easier to pedal than my 6 inch trail bike!As soon as i got home i threw my bike on my rack and called my buddy Brian Raphael a proffessional Photographer to go take some pictures of the maiden voyage. We got to the top of the hill and set off down the infamous Frisbee golf trail.

The top of this trail is basically tight technical steep lava flow with a bunch of drops and really gnarly rock gardens while the bottom is a bit more open with about 70 percent lava flow and a little bit of dirt thrown in for good measure. There are very few people that can ride this trail top to bottom and it is know to be super hard on bikes so i figured what better way to break mine in than to test its limits. Immediately i felt comfortable on the bike and was blown away by how smooth and effortless it felt to maintain speed on the rocks the 2.5 inch rearward travel of this bike is not a gimmick as you hit a rock or bump the bike just seems to release all of the energy of the impact and keep you going full blast without even thinking i can honestly say the difference was undeniably noticeable and i had a hard time hitting my old lines because my bike was not slowing down the way i was used to.

After hiking the trail and taking some pictures i was completely comfortable on the bike and i was hitting a few lines i have never even contemplated before, the bike was making me feel like i was cheating everything was ten times easier and smoother than ever before. Towards the end of the trail there is this little easy drop about 4foot drop with a transition a few feet out, however Brian was joking and said hey there is a landing out there i looked and was a little 1 foot roller about 30-35 feet out from the end of the drop.I had seen it before but never really gave it much thought because the run in to the drop is full of tennis ball sized rocks and you cant really get speed but i figured i might as well give it a go and see what happens.

I started pedaling into the drop from the normal drop in point and the bike just took off like a bat out of hell, for the first time ever i was allowed to pedal as hard as i wanted through a loose rock garden on flat pedals and not get my feet kicked off. This is what really blew my mind because of the suspension design of my bike it gave me a big enough advantage to let me hit something i never even gave a second thought before.I got up to speed and just sent the bike 30 feet to flat and it never even flinched no noise nothing it just kept on speeding down towards the end of the trail.

So after my first ride I have officially been blown away by the Jedi, I feel like i have been given a huge advantage at every race i enter. And i cannot wait to put this bike through its paces this year and see how fast i can go! I want to give a HUGE thanks to Chris and Lance Canfield for Taking a chance and helping me out this year i cannot express to you how much this opportunity means to me and i Promise i will not let you down. I also want to say thanks to Brian Raphael for taking awesome pictures, and North Rim Adventure Sports for helping me out with my bikes.

Now with More Wood
    Enjoy the stokage! You seem happy (with reason!).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Congrats buddy, that's a sweet ride.

I decided to put off upgrading my Jedi until next season, hope I can last!

Would love to see a comparison between the 2010/09 models and the 2011.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    nice writeup on a happy customer

what previous frames have you ridden thats been set up for you ? etc

im always curious when i read these extremely happy reviews with no negatives, as ive never really had a DH bike that could double as an XC frame it seems

and before i get crucified by all the canfield fans, its not the frame itself, as im sure thats as good as anything, and better then most out there. i would just like to know more about who writes these crazy good reviews after having put in less then a weeks riding on it

Glad to Be Alive
    Glad for you that you are stoked....Canfield makes some nice bikes...

how lucky your suspension was perfect out of the box...very dangerous to take a new bike and push your limits....better to get a few runs under belt first

love the blur accents....get some blue stickers for the fork made

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Sweet pics!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Mine isn't here yet. Thanks for rubbing it in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Glad for you that you are stoked....Canfield makes some nice bikes...

how lucky your suspension was perfect out of the box...very dangerous to take a new bike and push your limits....better to get a few runs under belt first

love the blur accents....get some blue stickers for the fork made

Yeah i agree it was a little risky but I was somewhat used to the suspension it was the same rear shock off of my demo and i set the fork up the same as my old one so a few clicks of the rebound and i was good to go

mtbr member
    Hey= where's the pIcs?

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanH
    im always curious when i read these extremely happy reviews with no negatives,
    As far as a negative I got one for you on the 2011 Jedi.
    -They are almost sold out!

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared
    Hey= where's the pIcs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    man o man ! They first few rides on the Jedi are good. Its nice that the feeling gets even better the more you get used to it. I'll post up mine as soon as its here....(prob like alot of you's) ENJOY that cheater bike !

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanH
    nice writeup on a happy customer

what previous frames have you ridden thats been set up for you ? etc

im always curious when i read these extremely happy reviews with no negatives, as ive never really had a DH bike that could double as an XC frame it seems

and before i get crucified by all the canfield fans, its not the frame itself, as im sure thats as good as anything, and better then most out there. i would just like to know more about who writes these crazy good reviews after having put in less then a weeks riding on it
    I don't honestly feel they pedal any differently than any other modern DH bike that's set up right...just like you have to do with the jedi. it's an amazing descender, but IMO, not like mind blowing. the rearward travel is interesting...i don't like the feel personally but that's me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by supramk388
    As far as a negative I got one for you on the 2011 Jedi.
    -They are almost sold out!
    i think ill live i just got done building up my mondraker Summum, and adding a Bos Stoy later this week .. maybe not as good as a falshy new jedi but im sure its plenty fast for me

To add, i would not mind having a go on one of these, but prices rocket when we get the US made bikes here to eurotrash land

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson
    the rearward travel is interesting...i don't like the feel personally but that's me.
    If rearward is not your thing there is always...

http://www.sicklines.com/2011/03/03/...-brothers-one/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If rearward is not your thing there is always...

http://www.sicklines.com/2011/03/03/...-brothers-one/
    looks like a fun bike. i did have a ton of fun riding the old diggle. It plowed like a DH bike but was mega nimble and poppy. i could just never justify buying a ONE when my 2011 transition covert complete cost as much as the frame
    Last edited by nmpearson; 03-14-2011 at 09:47 AM.

7MGTE
    looks like a fun bike. i did have a ton of fun riding the old diggle. It plowed like a DH bike but was mega nimble and poppy.
    Awesome I have not had a chance to ride one yet.

i could just never justify buying a ONE when my 2011 transition covert complete cost as much as the frame
    I am sure Chris/Lance would have given a good deal but I understand.

Don't you sell Trans though? You prob get those at cost, right? If so I agree with you. Its hard to compete when you put retail pricing against getting something at cost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Awesome I have not had a chance to ride one yet.

I am sure Chris/Lance would have given a good deal but I understand.

Don't you sell Trans though? You prob get those at cost, right? If so I agree with you. Its hard to compete when you put retail pricing against getting something at cost.
    yeah, i could probably call them and get a hookup bc they're like the raddest guys ever. we used to be a canfield dealer, then they just decided to get rid of dealers, so, i find it hard to ride what i can't get a customer

mtbr member
    Nice to see some stoke from the local neighborhood. Did you take those pics on Friday afternoon? I saw a couple guys doing some downhill stuff before I made the fast run down secret trail.
    "Got everything you need?"

7MGTE
    so, i find it hard to ride what i can't get a customer
    I understand but if you or your customer wants a Canfield just call. I am sure Chris or Lance will do everything they can to make sure your customers get a Canfield frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Dopppppppeeee Jedi. Just curious, is that a small or are u pretty tall?

Canfield Brothers
    We still sell through dealers. If you need one call us or e-mail. The shop margins are still in place. If the shops don't stock product, we sell direct. If the customer wants to support there local shop, we can do that too. Were trying to give the end user the best CS possible so that usually means talking to us direct.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I understand but if you or your customer wants a Canfield just call. I am sure Chris or Lance will do everything they can to make sure your customers get a Canfield frame.
    way different than actually carrying a brand though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    We still sell through dealers. If you need one call us or e-mail. The shop margins are still in place. If the shops don't stock product, we sell direct. If the customer wants to support there local shop, we can do that too. Were trying to give the end user the best CS possible so that usually means talking to us direct.
    I just see it as a way to maximize profit. you were selling close to or out of your whole runs anyway, so may as well just be the dealer and have much higher margins. def a smart decision except it does alienate dealers. That's why i like transition, they go by the philosophy that if the dealer is happy, the customer will be too. That's why they're growing so fast...the dealers love them and rep their company. That's the best CS...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzguitarplayer
    Dopppppppeeee Jedi. Just curious, is that a small or are u pretty tall?
    i am 5 foot 11 and i am riding a medium jedi it is just a little bit bigger than the small 2010 demo i rode last year and it feels great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast