mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Full face helmet that won't break the bank

I am overwhelmed by all the different brands and prices I am seeing out there.

Can i get some recommendations for a FFH that is of good quality and not $400

Thanks

bike rider
    I get this question a lot, Why did you spend so much on your DH helmet? Well I think it's because my head and brain are in it, I value them way too much to go cheap on this one particular bit of safety equipment. Just my 2 cents. Get a Troy Lee Designs D3 with Mips and call it a day. You can get them even in Carbon for under $400 on their website right now. Unless you don't like your brain very much.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I fully understand where you coming from which is what started this question.

But i also know from my superbike racing days that I can spend 600 on a helmet or 1800 on a helmet and one is no more safe than the other. The different was in details like graphics, venting, comfort materials ect.

So i guess what I am looking for is still a high level of safety but without the frills as I simply can't afford to spend that money at the present time.

I do currently own a POC piss pot style helmet which is one season old and never been down. I just like the idea of full face. I am a DJ rider, not really a DH at all.

Maybe its not the same with mtb helmets, maybe I need to spend $400 to get the best safety features, but that's why i am here and trying to educate myself.

What are the differences from the $150 helmet to $400?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    CPSC and CE EN1078 and ASTM-F1952 standards are what I found just quickly searching online. I guess these are what to look for?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    IXS Xact Helmet 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles

this helmet meets the 3 main standard that the helmet you listed meets and is almost 1/2 the cost. From a safety stand point you can't tell me that the troy is any safer.

Urge Archi-Enduro Helmet RR 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles

a little bit more but has met more standards

mtbr member
    Cheap or Expensive Bicycle Helmets

Expensive doesn't always mean better in the case of helmets. In this report, FIT is the overwhelming consideration for buying more. MIPS is another point of discussion that seems to polarize people (like wheel size). I say if you can afford it, you should go for it... I wear a neck brace despite no overwhelming study to show its benefits (just anecdotal and theoretical).

As far as best value (cost, quality and weight), I can vouch for two:
    1) Fly Racing (you can find them for $60 online)
    Default Teal/Red Helmet | FLY Racing | Motocross, MTB, BMX, Snowmobile Racewear; Street Apparel and Hard Parts
    2) THE Industries (looks like they're liquidating):
    https://the-industries.com/collectio...ownhill-helmet

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I got the lowest level full face by Kali and it was around $100 (discounted because I bought a bike at an LBS). My friend has their carbon helmet, and I feel no less safe in mine, it is heavier and hotter. I don't ride as much as him, so I can get away with it being a little hotter.

The Kali Zoka is at Jenson for $100. According to Kali's site, it meets EN 1078, CPSC, AS/NZS 2063-2008 standards.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The cheaper of the Bell options is still really good, and that new 100% Status (?) Helmet looks to be pretty sweet for $200.

bike rider
    If your budget is $400 I still say get the TLD Carbon D3 with Mips it EXCEEDS all of the listed safety requirements but seriously it's what feels good on your head or you're not going to like wearing it. You can get a Non Carbon-Non Mips D3 for $316. Click this link and scroll down. EXCEEDS all safety requirements.

Downhill Gravity D3 Helmet Pinstripe 2 | Troy Lee Designs®
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

bike rider
    Click this one and Scroll Down. Still under budget and maybe the most comfortable, sickest and safest Fullface Helmet you can buy.

Downhill Gravity D3 Carbon Helmet Mips Render | Troy Lee Designs®
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Check out competive cyclist. I just picked up a 100% aircraft helmet for $260. I think the D3's were the same price.
    YETI SB-66 CARBON
    SCOTT GAMBLER 720

May The Force Be With You
    I've never had any issues with my sixsixone . I've also seen the aftermath of the crash of a young 20 something year old who's troylee got destroyed. If he wasn't wearing a full face helmet his jaw would have been shattered and more than likely exposed brain matter.

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    JensonUSA has the MET Parachute for ~$130 with the discount code for an extra 15% off. It is the lightest full-face with all certifications. Very comfortable, too. It's a helmet many people wear on trail rides because it's so light. My two cents.

Professional Troll
    Basically any 'low end' moto helmet will provide vastly superior protection and can be had for <$150 or even less than <$100. Bonus: some studies I've seen suggest that the cheaper moto helmets provide better protection than the expensive ones (probably more weight and padding?). Those 661 helmets feel sketchy as hell though. I can't imagine hit a rock hard with my head in one of those things.

I always say, but cheap moto helmets and replace them often. I can't tell you how many people I've seen over the years buying a fancy $400 TLD MTB helmet and then running it crash after crash after crash because they "can't afford" a new one. LOL.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    I get this question a lot, Why did you spend so much on your DH helmet? Well I think it's because my head and brain are in it, I value them way too much to go cheap on this one particular bit of safety equipment. Just my 2 cents. Get a Troy Lee Designs D3 with Mips and call it a day. You can get them even in Carbon for under $400 on their website right now. Unless you don't like your brain very much.
    Zero evidence the expensive MTB helmets are safer than the cheap ones (Execpt maybe for the MIPS or rotation stuff). Probably less safe since they care so much about weight and remove padding/foam to get there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    get a Bell transfer 9, basically the same as the more expensive carbon version but in plastic. Past year models can be had on jenson for pretty cheap.

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    get a Bell transfer 9, basically the same as the more expensive carbon version but in plastic. Past year models can be had on jenson for pretty cheap.
    +1 for the Bell Transfer. It meets all the same safety standards as more expensive helmets. It is also very comfortable and as mentioned you can get last year's colorways for a very good price at Jensonusa.com

May The Force Be With You
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Those 661 helmets feel sketchy as hell though. I can't imagine hit a rock hard with my head in one of those things.
    At my old fat lazy days, I don't really ride hard enough anymore to really wory about it

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I went with the Kali Avatar X, I found it for about $90 on sale.

Lifetime crash replacement according to their website.

I also found a Kali Avatar II on PB that I got for $120 with the bag and all the spare parts.

Now I have 2 helmets with lifetime crash replacement. Hopefully I'll never buy another helmet...

And as others have said, more expensive does NOT always mean better.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I use a 2015 bell transfer 9 I got for 100 bucks. It's an amazing helmet for the price. What's funny is that it is barely any heavier then the carbon version. (150 gram difference or 10%)

bike rider
    The Carbon D3 EXCEEDS all of the safety regulations and it's light and it feels great on my head. If you don't like the feel of a helmet on your head you won't wear it. His budget was $400 so why on earth Not get the Best? That's what I was saying.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Helmets | Ride 100%

The status goes for $200

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Fox Rampage

mtbr member
    Agree with some of the above Rented a Bell transfer 9 this past weekend and it was super comfy almost like suede cheek pieces

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I just picked up a 661 Comp, and it's a pretty good helmet for the price. I recommend it. I tried on a couple from IXS and the 100% Status, and the Comp fit my head shape the best. Make sure you try them on and get a good fitting one, don't just order based on looks and price. I made that mistake before, this Comp was to fix that error. Buy the correct one once, even if it's a bit more expensive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Ixs xact. I tried on lots of helmets but the xact was the lightest, and by far the smallest/least bulky and a pretty good price aswell. Fit is perfect. Havent used it yet but plan to go for a ride tomorrow

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I just bought the IXS xact. I was lucky enough to have a LBS that stocked them and had the xs size. Pretty comfy, light and meets all the standards except it doesn't have MIPS. I have the Bell super 2r for everyday and the xact for dh. Nice mid priced helmet.