mtbr member

FSA FR-916 or Mavic EN321 wheelset

Shopping for new wheels. Found both of these for about $200-$225. I can't find much at all on the FSA's. They definately look nice with the silver finish. I can get the Mavic's with either Deore XT or Sun Ringle Jumping flea hubs. Price is too close to be a factor. I weigh 215 and ride a 6 inch travel bike w 20mm thru axle front and 135mm rear. Mainly all mountain and light free ride. 8 ft jumps/drops max so far . Wheelset weight is about the sam for Mavics and FSA's (2300g). Anyone use the FSA's? Any inight on the jumping flea or deore xt hubs?
    You can't polish a terd.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I picked up a new pair of the gravity's off ebay a couple months ago. I am using them on a second bike, so they haven't seen a lot of use (maybe 3 shuttle runs and a day at northstar), but so far they seem like nice wheels. The rims and spokes are really stout and rigid with no noticeable flex whatsoever. As far as the hubs go, it's way too early to comment on reliability, but they appear to be well constructed, spin nicely, and have pretty good rear engagement. I haven't used the 321 rims you mentioned, but do have a set of hope/721's on my trail bike and between the two, I would say the mavics are maybe a better trail/light fr wheel, while the gravity's are a bit more of a bruiser wheel - similar to the azonic outlaws.

mtbr member
    Thanks Brandon. I considered the Outlaws too but they are at least $100 bucks more. Both the Mavics and FSA Gravity Lights are about the same weight as the Outlaws. These wheels will see more all mountain with 5-10 ft jump/drops than anything else. So I need a strong wheel but gotta be carefull with the weight since I still gotta pedal uphill. Im leaning towards the FSA's but I'd loove to hear more feedback on em before I bite the bullet and drop the cash. Thanks for the review. This is gonna be my second set of wheels for the bike. I have a light weight XC Stans set up that came with the bike when I just wanna ride some XC single track.
    You can't polish a terd.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Which ones did you end up picking? I'm looking at all these too - there's also a BWW option with mavic 721

mtbr member
    I bought the FSA's from Nashbar. They were $199 plus they had a 20% off sale, so I couldnt resist for $160. I have yet to install my rotors or cassette so I cant give feedback on the ride quality. They are a good looking set of wheels and they appear to be pretty stought. The package shows that they were built in 2008, so thats probably why they are such a good price. One thing I did notice was that the valve hole is for a presta even though they are advertised as Schraeder. So Ill have to drill it out a little to fit my schraeder tubes.
    You can't polish a terd.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm also looking at these, and the DH-300 version. Anyone ride on them? I think the main diff is rim width, 28 vs 32mm, which adds 150g to the set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave037 View Post
    I bought the FSA's from Nashbar. They were $199 plus they had a 20% off sale, so I couldnt resist for $160. I have yet to install my rotors or cassette so I cant give feedback on the ride quality. They are a good looking set of wheels and they appear to be pretty stought. The package shows that they were built in 2008, so thats probably why they are such a good price. One thing I did notice was that the valve hole is for a presta even though they are advertised as Schraeder. So Ill have to drill it out a little to fit my schraeder tubes.
    Looking to pickup up this set too. Any ride reports yet?

74 & 29 pilot
    Sorry, not trying to high jack the thread, but what DO you guys think about the Azonic Outlaws? I see it was mentioned up above. Are they really as bad as the last two entries in the review section, or are those just "bad" luck of the draw?

Anybody have experience?

Thanks,

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    Looking to pickup up this set too. Any ride reports yet?

Sorry for the delayed response Whip Chop, I got a killer deal on a new set of Outlaws so I sold the FSA's on craigslist before ridin them.
    You can't polish a terd.