Thread: front tire?

thread killer

front tire?

Any good front tires out there that are 26X2.5 or wider?

Like 2.7 or so.

New England rocky death trails.

Thanks, Bryan
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I know they make Minions in 2.7, but Maxxis tires generally run a little small, so it's probably closer to a normal 2.55 or 2.6

usually cranky
    i dont think you want a 2.7, that is huge. but if you do kenda and maxxis make em. i think 2.5 or so is the sweat spot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ran an ardent 2.6 on the front out there. Sucked on wet roots, but what doesn't?
    Just another redneck with a bike

Look at the time!
    The 2.6 Ardent is huge, much bigger than a 2.5 Minion, and still a bit bigger than a 2.7 Minion.

Imo, the 2.6" Ardent is actually a pretty good tire. I don't like the smaller versions, but the 2.6 has larger knobs and is quite sticky.

Also, try Schwalbe Muddy Marry 2.5". Don't let the numbers fool you, these are gigantic, much much bigger than 2.5" Minions, and at least as grippy. Expensive though.
    They also make 2.35", which still seem to be a bit bigger than 2.5" Minions.

i dont think you want a 2.7, that is huge. but if you do kenda and maxxis make em. i think 2.5 or so is the sweat spot.
    Generally you might be right, but on certain kinds of rocky terrain it doesn't hurt to run a bit more. I always used to have 2.5" Minions, but I am currently running a 2.6" Ardent in the back in very rocky terrain and it's awesome. Easier on the rim, too. I'll try something slightly wider on the front next, maybe a 2.4" HR2 (which is bigger than a 2.5" Minion)
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

thread killer
    Yup. I'm using a 2.5 Maxxis now on the front.

I was just looking for what's next. You know, more rubber on the trail
    is always a good thing when you're a Clyde.
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

RideDirt
    I would use a Muddy Mary up front , it was better then my minion for sure and way bigger. Thats one thing about Maxxis i dont like is that they are not true to size . Also, with the Schwalbe tires you can run them super low pressure and tubeless on NON tubeless tires without issues.
    Last edited by aedubber; 11-18-2012 at 08:13 AM.

mtbr member
    I ride plattekill and even on a muddy day don't need more then a 2.5 tire. Go Maxxis Minion DHF 3C Compound Tire or 42 super tacky in front. No other tire is better

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    2.5 Muddy Mary in Vertstar compound is my vote. Schwalbles are HUGE for their rated size - their 2.35's are bigger than Maxxis 2.5's.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I run a 2.7 DHF because it's really more like a 2.5
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

bike rider
    A 2.7 Minion is the same as a 2.6 Ardent, I've measured them on the same rim. They're both only available in dual ply DH casing so overkill for trail riding but for DH the 2.7 Minion DHF had been my tire for a decade. I tried the Ardent cuz it was cheap and didn't like it.
    Keep the Country country.

Perpetual Hack
    For what its worth...

I run a Vertstar Muddy Mary 2.5 DH up front.
    It is a large tire, but not the absolute monster it is being made out to be.
    For your edification, I just measured it...

Tread = 2.550"
    Casing = 2.420"

on a DT 5.1 rim, tubed, at 27 psi.

(Rider is about 225-230 on bike fully kitted out)

I picked it up for a trip to Snowshoe in West Virginia, end of September. Worked a charm in the all the rock gnar and in the wet to hero dirt we rode. I will be keeping it on for riding in the spring and fall, or when the conditions merit. My normal front for baked summer trails is a 2.4 Big Betty Vertstar. (Rear is a Big Betty as well...)
    Actually put it on for a planned ride tomorrow where we are gonna do a bit of push up the hill sessioning... It also clears very well, even in clay based materials

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    A 2.7 Minion is the same as a 2.6 Ardent, I've measured them on the same rim. They're both only available in dual ply DH casing so overkill for trail riding but for DH the 2.7 Minion DHF had been my tire for a decade. I tried the Ardent cuz it was cheap and didn't like it.
    I can't speak for what it's like NOW, but when I got my 2.7 Minion last spring it was a single ply 3C compound.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

backwoods and backwards
    Hey, a Bikeragger....

When I wanted a bit more than the 2.5 minion I went to a 2.7 highroller super tacky.Running it front and rear on the big bike.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    Gwin was running a 2.7 Minion while on Yeti.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Minion Front ST 2.5 or 2.7

mtbr member
    I've run a Maxxis DHF 2.7, kinda like a 2.5 size but bigger lugs. No complaints about the grip.

Strongly urge you to try a Minion DHR II 2.4 3c on the front. The DHR II has sturdier cornering lugs than the DHF and just grips and grips. Absolute beastly front tire. Also kinda pricey. I use one on my DH bike and a DHR II maxxpro 60 compound on my trail bike.
    Check out my You Tube Channel