mtbr member

Freeride frame: Hardtail vs Full Suspension

Which one is your opinion is better, hardtail or full suspension?

banned
    Full Suspension can get you farther, but can also be a crutch.

Hardtail is cheaper.

mtbr member
    it completely depends on what you're going to be doing....give more details to what you want to do with the bike

SpitFire Pilot

Yet another "HT or FS" thread!

HT: More efficient, (in terms of delivering power) cheaper, no rear suspesion to maintain.

FS: Probably better for a newb (like me) to go hucking on (more forgiving than a HT on drops and steep trails). More competitive in DH races. And if you're sick of beating the snot out of yourself, (and giving your chiropractor a work out) it's a more comfortable ride.

I will say though, it's beyond as to why the XC crowd thinks they need FS...

-PB
    Last edited by PetroBoy; 02-18-2006 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    conformity sucks......
    You never know what kind of animal the blood's gonna attract...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    it completely depends on what you're going to be doing....give more details to what you want to do with the bike
    Well i'm kind of a newbie and I wanna do stuff like mads cat walking/manuals, stalls, etc, etc.

Oh and ill be trailing aswell.
    Last edited by NoneSoVile; 02-18-2006 at 05:01 PM.

aka Jesse Palmer
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroBoy
    I will say though, it's beyond as to why the XC crowd thinks they need FS...
    When you are racing XC you have your seatpost shoved up your ass, and it is most efficient to pedal seated when you can, and you can stay seated and pedaling cofortably along on trails that would otherwise give you a nice pounding. You also get better traction going up hill, and can stay in control through rough sections and rail the downhills a little faster than on a hardtail. You could just stand more on your hardtail, but your legs will get tired faster. Having a little suspension can also be more forgiving when you get really tired and start making stupid mistakes.

SpitFire Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by jp3d
    When you are racing XC you have your seatpost shoved up your ass, and it is most efficient to pedal seated when you can, and you can stay seated and pedaling cofortably along on trails that would otherwise give you a nice pounding. You also get better traction going up hill, and can stay in control through rough sections and rail the downhills a little faster than on a hardtail. You could just stand more on your hardtail, but your legs will get tired faster. Having a little suspension can also be more forgiving when you get really tired and start making stupid mistakes.

Well, of course, there are always variables. And I guess I'm talking about the XC guys in my area. Sure, if you're in Arizona or someplace where it's really rock-infested, you probably could use that extra 1-2 inches of wheel travel. But around here, where it's pretty much all smooth hard packed dirt...I see no need for anyone who's into XC to have FS.

-PB
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    conformity sucks......
    You never know what kind of animal the blood's gonna attract...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoneSoVile
    Well i'm kind of a newbie and I wanna do stuff like mads cat walking/manuals, stalls, etc, etc.

Oh and ill be trailing aswell.

well from what you say it sounds like your going to be mainly doing urban type stuff and you don't really need an FS frame to start out with. alot of people think FS is better but HT's are just as good for many things and better for others. for what you want to do get an HT frame. im not sure about your budget or if you have anything in mind but ya HT. good luck

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PetroBoy
    Well, of course, there are always variables. And I guess I'm talking about the XC guys in my area. Sure, if you're in Arizona or someplace where it's really rock-infested, you probably could use that extra 1-2 inches of wheel travel. But around here, where it's pretty much all smooth hard packed dirt...I see no need for anyone who's into XC to have FS.

-PB
    its because they are comfortable....why do you really need 8-9" of travel when people are doing the same thing on 6-7" travel bikes? its all about comfort. if you aren't into competitive XC racing and just like to have fun that is good enough reason to buy a FS..to make your ride more pleasurable.