Thread: Frame tape

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Frame tape

Was looking into crankskins.com at there frame wrap but was wondering if there was something comparable I can get at my local Home Depot was looking into there clear 12mil sheet not the pre cut ones. Any input woul be great I'd rather buy it in person then wait for shipping if I can

mtbr member
    A couple products I use. One is a 3M cold fuse tape that Lowes carries. I use it on my chain stay and lower seat stay where the chain could slap the frame. this tape does not have adhesive, it fuses to itself so when you removed it there is no mess. Shop 3M 3/4" x 22'L General Duty Black Rubber Electrical Tape at Lowes.com

The other is helicopter tape, I use some that is 14 mil thick. Not cheap, but works great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the quik response ill have to check out lowes tomarow.

Glad to Be Alive
    the clear stuff???....go to a moto shop and ask for number plate tape.....that is the clear 3m stuff and it comes in sheets....if you get it other ways shops charge you a lot of coin
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    yes i notice its very expensive, but the number plate tape sounds like a cheap alternative, but do your know how thick it is, I have a 2010 session and if you've ever read about them there downtubes are fragile so I want to throw a pretty thick (airplane tape at 12mil would be great) layer of tape under my carbon bash guard to be extra safe.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you want it for the down tube, don't use the 3m tape. The 3m tape great for the chainstays, but doest work for the down tube. It mushes up like putty when shuttling over a truck tailgate. I just started using the numberplate tape, not sure how many mills, but you get enough to double or even trple layer it. It's also avail in carbon fiber print.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!