mtbr member

FR Headset: Sunline V-One DH, Race face Diabolus, FSA DH Pig?

I'm building a new FR bike and looking for a headset. Currently my LBS has me down for a Chris King @ $100 but after a bit of searching the forums it seems lots of guys are using cheaper FSA DH Pigs with good results.

The Race Face Diabolus looks like a real contender too, and it runs $65. The Sunline is a little less than $100 too, but with its shallow depth brings up another concern:

My new frame alone is upwards of $2700, meaning the last thing I want to do is get a cheap headset and ovalize my headtube on a gnarly hit. Should I be looking into something with deep stainless steel cups? I'm not a headset expert...

Meh.
    King is bling. But they've got a couple design issues. They tend to be a bit creaky with long travel SC forks.

I really doubt that you'll ovalize your headtube. If you're worried, maybe you should look at a headset with deep insertion. The FSA Pig DH Pro comes in a deep cup. The King Steelset has a ton of insertion. I had a Pig DH Pro for a while, no issues. Solid headset for a low price.

Brackish
    Looking around the bike room right now, I see and FSA Pig ($20) on the Dirtbag, a Cane Creek OEM headset on my wife's Dawg, FSA Orbit Z 1.5 on her Bottle Rocket, FSA Pig OEM on my Coiler D, and two more FSA Pigs ($20): one on my Fetish Cycles Obsession (soon to be swapped onto my new Trail or Park) and one waiting to be installed on my wife's Rocky Mountain Flow. All work great and have had no problems. Nowadays you really don't need to drop big money to get a decent threadless headset, just to get a fancy name.

Meh.
    The Pig DH Pro uses sealed cartridge bearings, the other is loose ball.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No real experience with the Sunline so I can't comment. The Raceface Diabolus, the FSA DH pig pro and the Chris King are all great head sets and will perform well. I guess what it comes down to is bling factor and price for the most part.

Chris King = Most Bling factor, expensive, an outstanding headset nonetheless that would probably outlast a few bikes.

Raceface Diabolus = Medium Bling Factor, still somewhat expensive but still rock solid with great performance and looks.

FSA Pig = Low Bling Factor, a definite proven workhorse, cheap enough to replace if any issues

I don't think you would go wrong with any of these headsets but the biggest factor is the price. If money is no object I would go with the Chris King. Looks great and is virtually bomb proof. I would talk with your lbs to see if you need to go with the steelset(if your frame is compatible with the deepcups) or if the regular nothreadset is good enough. If you want even more strength I believe Chris King's are available in Titanium as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys, that alone was more than I've been able to scour through my searches.

I'll call my shop tomorrow and inquire about fitting deep cups, that FSA DH Pro headset sounds like a great mix of everything at an affordable price too.

I'm not looking for a ton of bling factor, I spent a few bucks getting my Foes Fly frame done up in Metallic Orange so I think it would be best to just lay off on adding additional bling!

(pic is an FXR from interbike, but shows the color)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wow! Foes Fly is a sweet Bike! The FSA headset is a great headset but I can't help but drool over the idea of the King Steelset on that bike. Either way your set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quincy29
    Either way your set.
    bingo.
    Still, count another vote for the Pig. I just bought it a week ago, love the thing. I just couldn't see spending $120+ on a King when the FSA is really just as good, no matter how much bling that King had.
    '05 p.2
    tryin to have fun on a college budget, and doin a pretty good job of it

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Pig Pro, been bashing mine for a year and still like new. FSA all the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i had a pig DH pro for ages and it was still going strong when I got rid of it with the bike. they are really good quality for the money. but remember the 10 year warranty for the king. if you have it installed properly, facing and reaming the ht then it works out at $10 a year, for 10 years basically...