mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Fox DHX RC4 bottoming out

Is it normal for DH rear shock to bottom out? Can it take the beating? Would spring rate help? Through my limited experience, rebound and HSC can be adjusted to avoid bottoming out... Any ideas? I am using a DHX RC4

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It is good to bottom once a run or so. If you are bottoming more then that you may need to change the spring rate. You should be using sag to check if the spring rate is right. When you are geared up in attack position you should have about 30%. If it is more then you need to change the spring rate.

Also high speed compression will stop the shock from blowing through the travel however to much will not allow the bike to track right

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by jmang View Post
    Is it normal for DH rear shock to bottom out?
    Yep, but you shouldn't be bottoming harshly often. But you should be taking full advantage off all your available travel.
    Can it take the beating?
    Yep.
    Would spring rate help?
    Spring weight should be chosen to achieve proper sag. 20-40% of your travel, depending on bike and personal preference.
    Through my limited experience, rebound and HSC can be adjusted to avoid bottoming out... Any ideas? I am using a DHX RC4
    With the RC4, compression (both hi and low) and Boost pressure are going to be the main influences on bottoming out. Add pressure to create a more progressive shock in all situations. If you're bottoming out in corners and other low shaft-speed events add LSP, if you're bottoming on hard square-edge type hits and other high shaft-speed events add HSC.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    Yep, but you shouldn't be bottoming harshly often. But you should be taking full advantage off all your available travel.

Yep.

Spring weight should be chosen to achieve proper sag. 20-40% of your travel, depending on bike and personal preference.

With the RC4, compression (both hi and low) and Boost pressure are going to be the main influences on bottoming out. Add pressure to create a more progressive shock in all situations. If you're bottoming out in corners and other low shaft-speed events add LSP, if you're bottoming on hard square-edge type hits and other high shaft-speed events add HSC.
    Thanks for the info...

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    ...if you're bottoming on ... high shaft-speed events...
    Giggity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now