Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684

    Fox 40 Stanchion Tubes

    It seems as if they need replacing (both of them). To make a long story short I'm pretty disgusted with the whole situation but will spare you all the gory details but have a few questions I would like some advice on.

    Where's a good place to get them? I have thought of going through Fox directly but does anyone have any other suggestions? My fork is the 2010 model and both the regular coating and the Kashima coating are avalable. Currently my fork lacks Kashima due to it coming out in 2011 but is it worth the extra money to go with the Kashima coat (I think it's around $20 extra per tube)?
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    485
    If it's actually just $20 per stanchion, then go Kashima no question. I'm somewhat skeptical of that price though.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    I'm somewhat skeptical of that price though.
    Fox Racing Shox Fox 40 Stanchion Tube Detail Page

    A bit less than $20 I guess ($18).
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    Fox Racing Shox Fox 40 Stanchion Tube Detail Page

    A bit less than $20 I guess ($18).
    No kidding? Go for it then!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Is there any purpose other than reducing friction behind Kashima?
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    485
    According to Fox, 'increased durability, hardness, and lower friction.'

    So there you have it. Pretty much anything a stanchion should be I guess. Don't forget increased sexy.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertr View Post
    Don't forget increased sexy.
    That's like the most important anyway right!? Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll call Fox on Tuesday and see what they'll do for me with regard to pricing and compare with Go-Ride.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Fox's Kashima coated stanchions are the same but the non-Kashima are a bit less than Go-Ride so I just went for the Kashima coated tubes figuring that I would not regret it but might if I didn't go for them. Thanks again for the help.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: phyco ref's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    71
    Don't forget the low stiction seals, apparently they make a big difference too!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by phyco ref View Post
    Don't forget the low stiction seals, apparently they make a big difference too!
    ordered
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    417
    did you order new Fox Green oil for when you do the change?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by deadatbirth View Post
    did you order new Fox Green oil for when you do the change?
    Already got it from before. Also have a bottle of the red for the FIT cartridge. This is not my first rebuild, just changing the stanchions.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    Fox's Kashima coated stanchions are the same but the non-Kashima are a bit less than Go-Ride so I just went for the Kashima coated tubes figuring that I would not regret it but might if I didn't go for them. Thanks again for the help.
    Cool. I recall that Fox calls it a '$200 upgrade' and that's the approximate cost when comparing their high to mid end forks, so I'd say $40 is worthy investment. Will definitely increase the resale value of the fork too.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have one more thing though: what to do with the old stanchions? Any ideas?
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have one more thing though: what to do with the old stanchions? Any ideas?
    Wind chimes?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by yd35 View Post
    Wind chimes?
    Wind chimes... That's hilarious. Worth a rep I think
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    417
    spares in case you scratch them fancy Kashima tubes

  18. #18
    OMG!
    Reputation: adjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    415
    somewhat off the original point, but this seems like a good place for me to rant about my stanchions.

    they are about 4 years old, have never been scratched; but, when i take the lowers off, there is a definite line where the coating on the upper half has been dulled by the weather.

    i suspect this is the reason my fork sounds like a broken bed, even after replacing the oil and seals.

    /rant

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by adjunkie View Post
    somewhat off the original point, but this seems like a good place for me to rant about my stanchions.

    they are about 4 years old, have never been scratched; but, when i take the lowers off, there is a definite line where the coating on the upper half has been dulled by the weather.

    i suspect this is the reason my fork sounds like a broken bed, even after replacing the oil and seals.
    Discolored by weather? Do you store your bike outside in the rain and sun? Obviously the sunlight will bleach whatever is exposed but I don't think that's why your fork sounds like a "broken bed." I'm thinking that there's something else going on inside there. How's your spring? Is it shrink wrapped at all?

    The tubes/seals arrived today and I changed it all out. Granted I haven't done much riding yet (just around my place a bit) but first impressions are positive.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  20. #20
    Moose Member
    Reputation: Moosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,198
    I think you should rep 1 kashima and 1 non kashima stantion. That'd be sick...

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    I think you should rep 1 kashima and 1 non kashima stantion. That'd be sick...
    If I told you I didn't think about it, I'd be lying...
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeterWest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    80
    How about this

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterWest View Post
    How about this
    No thanks.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  24. #24
    OMG!
    Reputation: adjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    Discolored by weather? Do you store your bike outside in the rain and sun? Obviously the sunlight will bleach whatever is exposed but I don't think that's why your fork sounds like a "broken bed." I'm thinking that there's something else going on inside there. How's your spring? Is it shrink wrapped at all?

    The tubes/seals arrived today and I changed it all out. Granted I haven't done much riding yet (just around my place a bit) but first impressions are positive.
    They have 4 years on them. I changed the seals and it was squeak free for 3/4 of a ride... I'm really sure it's the stanchions... Internals are fine and recently bled. Sprin is wrapped. Not really sure what else to do but install new seals for every 2 hours of riding... Haha.

    Really wanting a new one!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PeterWest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    No thanks.
    Hahaha, not mine, wouldn't want it either... just found the pic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replacement Stanchion Tubes
    By mtbnozpikr in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 05:02 PM
  2. When did the SID get bigger stanchion tubes
    By rc51kid in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 03:37 AM
  3. Poll: DH Tubes or Regular Tubes or tubeless?
    By AW_ in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 11:30 PM
  4. Tubes..tubes... those darn tubes..... (rant)
    By rzozaya1969 in forum Mexico
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-18-2006, 10:52 PM
  5. Damaged Stanchion Tubes- Problem?
    By bikeboyjeff in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 05:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •