mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Fox 40 RC2 rebuild, making noise

Seems like something is loose inside. Clicking sound. Just got it back from a complete rebuild and wondering if something is wrong. Works fine, but should I worry?
    Last edited by guitarjohn21; 11-26-2012 at 10:21 AM.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    When do you get the clicking? I've noticed something similar with mine if I compress it pretty quickly, not while riding, that happens every now and then

I've also heard of a common noise when the spring hits inside the lowers/stanchion.

Mine's a 2013 model that I got in June btw, and it hasn't been ridden too much.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    it sounds like the spring needs to be rotated so that the shrink wrap is what hits the stantion to reduce the noise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pull the spring out. Make sure the shrink wrap is in the middle of the spring. Put at least a turn or two of preload on the spring after you put it back in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It makes the noise all the time. More like a rattlle sound. Mine is a 2010 that I just put new kashima stancions on. Had the bladder rebuilt too. Made the noise before I sent it in, but I thought it was a sign that it needed service.

My friends 2013 is real quiet. I think they reversed the insides on the new model because the rebound knob is now on the bottom.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It is most likely the shrink wrap on the spring having moved, you also could have a broken spring. pull the spring out and check the bottom of it. I broke one on the final coil which I did not notice for a while.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I had a new spring installed that was the next weight size up when it was serviced. They went through everything because my bladder had blown out. I'll check the shrinkwrap and see if that fixes it.