Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Fox 40 RC2 or Boxxer WC? (not a newb thread)

Hey, you probably look at the title and figure "Damn, another newb asking about a fork he'll never buy..." Well, I've took advice from here in the past on my frame choice, just recently asked about brakes, and I just bought them. So the help is appreciated.
    I've found 2 forks. a 2007 Fox 40 RC2, and a 2007 Boxxer world cup. Both are barely used, both pretty much scratchless, and look in the same condition. And they are the same price. Im looking for a fork for my RMX to race with. But one thing I look for as a big factor is "reliable with less maintenance". I want adjustable (which Im sure both forks are very adjustable.) and a plush ride. I don't want the fork to have problems every time i get to the bottom of the hill, or have oil leaking out of it. So basically I'd rather take a fork that is works great and is reliable and less problematic, than a fork that might work a bit better on the race run, but needs tuning and fixing all the time.

So which fork would be best for me?

Thanks
    [SIZE="4"]22Pride[/SIZE]

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    Flip a coin.
    :: wrenchscience ::

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Both are great but all my experience is with the 40. Great adjustability for everything, high speed, low speed, pre-load and rebound. springs and seals are super easy to change and maintain. Im 225 with gear and been riding them 2 mo. every weekend no problems. The only disadvantages I can think of is, if your my weight and need to use a stiffer spring(yellow) then your adding weight to the fork. Fox don't make a yellow spring in Titanium. The weight diff. is very noticeable. With the RS you get direct mount stem that you don't have with the 40(need to use a stem) and if you racing and biff you can lose time straightening your bars or just trying to get them some-what close to straight. More peps will chime in and give you more input but thats my take on the 40 vs WC thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would say go with the 40 because Fox is reliable, works great and looks cool. Fox is also at most major races, (I haven't seen RS at any) so they can help you if you need it...

mtbr member
    weaker lowers vs higher maintenance

go 40's

no boxxers.

think i'd actually take the 40's

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i always been a sold between Marzo/RockShox but you know what this year ill be riding a Fox 40 Rc2 2008, and let me tell you that you should buy one ! it is a nice fork, it is stiff but at the same time it react to small bump extraordinary well ... i was suppose to go with a 888 ATA wc first but i had a bargain on a 40 rc2...

mtbr member
    Boxxer
    You can rebuild the entire thing yourself, direct mount stem, the performance is going to be about the same as the fox. It does not have beer can lowers like the fox.

mtbr member
    boxxers take alot of maintenance... after reading your post i think the 40s are definitely a better fork for what your looking for

Registered Jong
    well here is a vote for the wc instead of the 40 My best riding buddy had one also had a totem and also had a 888 rc2 and he is on his wc still the 40 is a great fork don't get me wrong but as far as racing and feel goes, i don't think its a question I also had a 40 on my old bike granted it was an r still I switched to a boxxer team which is the old world cup and could not be happier.... WC all the way and its about a pound lighter that is unless you have ti springs in your 40
    [SIZE="4"]Nebraska Mountain biker?????[/SIZE]

Ps. I hate pinkbike I should remove it from my bookmarks...

REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!
    Ironic that I posted the exact same thread. (FOX 40RC2 vs Boxxer wc), and not too much came out of it....sucks!

I already had a DH 40 at the time, and was wondering why so many people run boxxers until one day, I had the unique privalege one find day of testing both of them down one of my favorite runs a couple times each on the same model of bike.

Other than weight, .85 lbs, the boxxer has nothing on the 40. As far as maintenence goes, the DH 40 takes 40cc/ml of 7wt fork oil every now and then. You have to check out the condition of the seals every other ride or two, and you don't have to service the RC2 cartridge for the better part of 2 years! Compared to the boxxer, needing to be serviced every 24-26 hours of riding time.

And as far as stiffness for the boxxer, unless you weigh 130lbs max, you will feel flex in that fork when you hit rugged $#!T.

Are FOX's lowers the strongest on the market? NO... but neither are the boxxers.

In that particular thread, the one thing I did find out to be useful, was that a vast number of riders use the Boxxer because SRAM is such a big company and sponsors so many riders, that of course they are going to use their stuff.

Hope this helps.
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!
    On a further note: Go-ride.com, the website that sponsors the DH/FR forum, sells a direct mount stem, as well as a duel rated spring kit for the 40.

GEE??? Who else uses duel and triple rated springs? Moto cross bikes, ATV's. you name it... I've been wondering why, as well as waiting for someone, to put out a duel or triple rated spring for a while now. I think its pimp that fox holds that option.
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Assist
    Ironic that I posted the exact same thread. (FOX 40RC2 vs Boxxer wc), and not too much came out of it....sucks!

I already had a DH 40 at the time, and was wondering why so many people run boxxers until one day, I had the unique privalege one find day of testing both of them down one of my favorite runs a couple times each on the same model of bike.

Other than weight, .85 lbs, the boxxer has nothing on the 40. As far as maintenence goes, the DH 40 takes 40cc/ml of 7wt fork oil every now and then. You have to check out the condition of the seals every other ride or two, and you don't have to service the RC2 cartridge for the better part of 2 years! Compared to the boxxer, needing to be serviced every 24-26 hours of riding time.

And as far as stiffness for the boxxer, unless you weigh 130lbs max, you will feel flex in that fork when you hit rugged $#!T.

Are FOX's lowers the strongest on the market? NO... but neither are the boxxers.

In that particular thread, the one thing I did find out to be useful, was that a vast number of riders use the Boxxer because SRAM is such a big company and sponsors so many riders, that of course they are going to use their stuff.

Hope this helps.
    I don't feel like arguing w/ you, but you just spewed out a lot of mis-information.

Fox may have slightly better small bump than a WC, but both overall provide great damping.
    Both need to be serviced more than a Marzocchi. Boxxer's are said to be completely user serviceable while Fox's carts aren't. Both are easy forks to work on.
    Both forks aren't as durable are a Marzocchi, but are not fragile in any way. Fox's lowers are thin and puncture easy(ier) though.
    Both are great forks, and you really gotta weigh out the one big difference. Arguably better small bump compliance to a little over half a pound.
    I picked the half pound, I'm happy w/ my choice.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    One thing thought .. that i personnaly hate when people put it as a argument over the Boxxer WC .. it is not true that the Fork Flex in roug stuff .. i race that fork 2 season in a row it is stiff and it won't flex .. probably cause some people use too much Stanchions? i always set mine at 8.5" and they never flex .. but i am recommanding the 40 .. i dont have a BIG argument but i just feel to try a new fork...

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input, keep it coming.
    I found out a little more about the two forks that Im looking at.
    -boxxer doesn't come with integrated stem. don't know why.
    -40 has stock springs, came off a 07 giant glory.

1)Since the boxxer is air, I can adjust it for any rider weight, correct?
    2)And does the stock 40 springs suit a 145lbs- 150lbs rider? If not, can I get replacements, and about how much do they cost? Need to figure out my total costs.

Thanks alot, great help here.
    [SIZE="4"]22Pride[/SIZE]

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    Thanks for all the input, keep it coming.
    I found out a little more about the two forks that Im looking at.
    -boxxer doesn't come with integrated stem. don't know why.
    -40 has stock springs, came off a 07 giant glory.

1)Since the boxxer is air, I can adjust it for any rider weight, correct?
    2)And does the stock 40 springs suit a 145lbs- 150lbs rider? If not, can I get replacements, and about how much do they cost? Need to figure out my total costs.

Thanks alot, great help here.

Yes with the Boxxer WC you can infinitely adjust the SoloAir cartridge for your weight riding style etc. all you need is a handy-dandy shock pump.

The stocks springs in the 40 may be a tad firm for your weight, however if you are a fast rider who prefers a stiffer overall fork feel, then they should be just about perfect. I may be wrong on this, but steel springs for the 40 run about 40-50 bucks, and i'm not sure how much the Ti counterparts go for. I know I have a few sitting around I can check for you.

I've extensively rode both forks, and really like both. It's a this-or-that situation with this comparison. The Boxxer is lighter, has less small bump sensitivity, yet has high quality damping. The 40 is a hair heavier, is stiffer, yet has very thin lowers. I've seen many punctured lowers. Maintenance is about the same on both. Both are very easy to work on, however I give the nod to the Boxxer on complete serviceability. Fox still prefers that you send in the fork to have them bleed the cartridge, whilst any joe-schmo can completely overhaul his or her Boxxer.

Hope that all helped

Tough decision in the end, but I made the choice for a Boxxer WC next season.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    First of all check if that Fox is strictly an OEM, or a normal aftermarket used as OEM. Many companys use different parts in OEM forks and that is not something to argue about, so check it out. Even if specs match up, make sure internals and such are the same. Sometimes internals can be of a cheaper quality!

Being a mechanic and in the industry for a while you start to appreciate when a company lets the user work on its product. There is something to be said in this situation. Fox has always been the bling product that is very highly engineered. Working on them is not the best experience.

On the other hand, Sram has manuals that guide you step by step through the whole procedure. So if you are not a noob as you said, then I am sure you would appreciate this. I hate when someone else works on my stuff no matter how good they are.

In the end of the day this is really my only argument. Rock shox has improved so much over the last couple years.

StraightOuttaCompton
    boxxers, they are sexy. ugh, fox is too. get both.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

squish is good
    I really like the Boxxer for the sheer fact that you can infinitely adjust the spring and you really aren't giving away much performance. Ti springs cost bank and messing around trying to find the right one takes time and alot of money. With the Boxxer you get stronger lowers and the ability to hit your spring rate perfectly for nothing more than a little bit of your time. I haven't ridden either so I'm purely bench racing here but the boxxer is on my short list when I can scratch up enough money for a full on DH bike.

Freetard.
    Yeah, but this Boxxer doesnt have springs: it has an air cartridge. What you say is true, though: The boxxer is easier to adjust.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i heard its the new style to have forks on your bike, so you should get both and duct tape them to your bike

Mi vida es bueno
    It's CUMMINS, not cummings. Sheesh.

My arm hurts a little
    neewby!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by splatman
    It's CUMMINS, not cummings. Sheesh.
    maybe his last name is cummings or something...

I know a person who's name is that.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Mi vida es bueno
    It's called a joke? It was supposed to be funny.
    Last edited by splatman; 12-06-2007 at 07:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnaR9
    HAB dosn''t feel like arguing w/ me, but I just spewed out a lot of mis-information.
    The 40 cartridge is user sevicable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast