Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fox 40 RC2 or Boxxer WC?

977 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  kidwoo 
#1 ·
So I got a brand new Demo 8 and it came with the 40 RC2.Well this is my second FOX product and again, right out of the store it was defective. Sent it back to FOX,it was missing a part,3 weeks later they fixed it and even put a Ti-spring in it.

My biggest concern about FOX before I bought the bike was the service. I live in Whistler and work on the North Shore so I ride my bike A LOT. Im afraid I might loose the fork for more than a month a few time during this summer since nobody wants to open those forks and of course , I’m not too ”keen” about that.

As anyone out there ever tried both fork? I like the stiffness of the FOX 40 but I also know that a little bit of flex( Boxxer) can also can get you a little bit more traction. I also have a pike air and I love the damping system which I believe is similar to the Boxxer, but the Pike in whistler as a lot of flex( I know its only SC but still) For me getting the Boxxer, service wouldn’t be a problem since Rock Shox have a tech rep in Whistler so it would be pretty quick.

Let me know what you guys think of that, should I sell the FOX or stick with it?At this point Im not concern about price...

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I personally would rather have the fox over a boxxer. The kind of flex you get out of a boxxer will not really give you more traction since it's not a damped motion and it's not moving in one of the degrees of freedom that maintain your steering.

Anyhoo...

I've gotten 1 run on the newer boxxer wc and for an air fork especially, it feels pretty nice. The guy that owned the bike checked his air pressure at the bottom of one of our runs and it was increasing. My gut reaction is that it does heat up but I don't know if he pressurized it at the elevation we were riding at or not. Sure is nice and light though.

Why not a 888? I know zoke has a pretty consistent presence around whistler in the summer.

#3 ·
Thanks Kidwoo, I guess Im giving my self some reasons not to keep the FOX eventhough its a great fork. I ride pretty much 7 days a week during the summer and wouldn't want to be disapointed of my fork.

Ive been riding a 888 on my last demo for 2 years (even tried the newer ones) I personnaly know the guys over at the service center here in North Van and I have to say those guys rock, they gave me the best service ever! Although the 888 is a good fork but a bit too heavy for my taste and want to try something new.Im definately more of a racer than freerider too...

#4 ·
It's kind of tough sometimes when you get piece of equipment that you KNOW is capable of working well, but yours doesn't. You have to decide between taking the necessary steps to get it up to par where you know it should be or letting the frustration lead you forgetting about it.

Having seen where you ride a few times, I for one wouldn't want to be crashing on a boxxer a whole lot on the shore. Too many sharp objects. Both boxxers and 40s have pretty thin stanchions and lowers but I've yet to hear of a bent stanchion on a fox 40. Definitely can't say that about boxxers. I've also seen a pretty deep gouge in the lowers on a buddies 40 that I'm pretty sure would have punctured a boxxer (at least the older ones).

Hard to ignore the wieght of the WC air fork however........especially if you're racing....

My priority with dh stuff is durability slightly over weight so take all this for what it's worth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.