mtbr member

Formula oro k24 - poor performance?!

I have recently bought a downhill bike with a set of formula oro k24's on it and i am finding the stopping power to be pretty poor. It is several years old so should be bedded in now. It's just that compared to my newer avid elixir R's I have on my XC bike i have to apply a LOT more pressure to get the same stopping power. I have 203mm rotors on my DH bike and 180mm on my XC bike. Both are well bled and I only weigh 150lbs so it's not that i'm very heavy..
    Any suggestions? Thanks
    Mountains... because roads are boring
    My GoPro DH Channel <---- Please Subscribe!

mtbr member
    I have a pair that's 3 or 4 years old and they work great. They aren't DH brakes, but great trail brakes. I had them on a trail bike, switched them to my DH rig and realized they don't have enough power for long, steep, fast rides. Awesome power and modulation for my 6" AM rig.

mtbr member
    Yeah i guessed maybe they wouldn't be great for DH but just on the street they don't stop anywhere near as good as my XC bike with elixir R's. Would it be worth swapping the brakes and seeing if it is the brakes or just the weight of the bike?

mtbr member
    NOTHING wrong with those brakes, you simply need the sintered pads from the Oro Puro - 30% increase in braking power. LOVE MINE now that I figured that out!!! Also get the Puro levers - one finger braking setup = awesomesauce!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks, well i've got sintered superstar pads to put in.. also i don't really want to spend 100 on a new lever tbh :/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grimmer View Post
    Thanks, well i've got sintered superstar pads to put in.. also i don't really want to spend 100 on a new lever tbh :/
    I meant Oro Bianco levers (the Puro's are carbon fiber and a lot more expensive); they're like $40 and worth every penny.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have two sets of k24's with Oro Bianco levers and could not be happier, The first set is on my Canfield Bro. Yelli Screamy (25lbs) and the second is on my Canfield Bro. "THE ONE" (35.20 lbs) and at 210lb without gear they have there work cut out for them Haha

mtbr member
    Okay but I live in England and it's over here :/ They're way over (what would be) about $120 just for the lever! And is there anything wrong with the levers that are on them anyway?

Stand back
    Your pads might be contaminated or glazed over. IMO the Oro's are on par with Juicy's for power when everything's working properly.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Okay but I live in England and it's over here :/ They're way over (what would be) about $120 just for the lever! And is there anything wrong with the levers that are on them anyway?
    Standard levers a bit thick and designed for two finger use. Bianco lever is designed for one finger leverage. Not a deal killer, just a nice upgrade.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Oro's BLOW AWAY Juicy's when set up with the right pads!

mtbr member
    120$? Hm....not really, Formula Oro Short Lever Blade | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    Oooohhhh, right sorry guys i thought you were talking about the whole lever including the master cylinder :') Okay well i will try the pads and if that doesn't work maybe i'll upgrade the levers. Thanks guys!

Stand back
    I neglected to mention how to de-contaminate and de-glaze the current pads. I like to use drywall sanding screen placed on a flat surface and rub the pad over it a few times. For contamination, I've had good luck with letting them soak in rubbing alcohol overnight, and then giving them another day to dry. And while you're at it, you should also hit the rotors with sandpaper and then wipe them down with alcohol, too.
    Good luck!
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!