mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Foes 2:1 DHS Mono vs. Intense M9 FRO vs. SC V10

Which one would you pick and why? Strengths and weaknesses of each if you've owned one...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    Which one would you pick and why? Strengths and weaknesses of each if you've owned one...

Thanks!
    The new Jedi, because I have one
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    The new Jedi, because I have one
    I'm sorry but that answer is not valid. Please choose from one of the following options:

1. Foes 2:1 DHS Mono
    2. Intense M9 FRO
    3. Santa Cruz V10

After, selecting your choice, please indicate the reason for your choice and state the strengths and weaknesses of said bike. It is preferable that you only submit an answer if you have actually owned or ridden extensively one or more of the bikes in the selection.

Thank you for participating in this survey. Have a nice day!

To repeat your options, press 1. To end this call, press #, or hang up.

mtbr member
    I would say go with the M9. It is very adjustable (G3 dropouts, suspension chips, and angleset) and extremely stable at speed. It jumps pretty well and is not bad in the corners either despite what some will say. It also has VPP which definitely helps when it comes to pedaling efficiency.

The only weakness I have found so far is one of the grease zerts is right underneath the shock and darn near impossible to access to grease the pivot without removing the shock. I tried it today and got grease everywhere but where it was supposed to go...
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    I would say go with the M9. It is very adjustable (G3 dropouts, suspension chips, and angleset). It also has VPP which definitely helps when it comes to pedaling efficiency.
    That's definitely the plus for the M9. I read in Socal Riders, this one reviewer, he said that it pedals better than the DHS Mono.. true?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    The only weakness I have found so far is one of the grease zerts is right underneath the shock and darn near impossible to access to grease the pivot without removing the shock. I tried it today and got grease everywhere but where it was supposed to go...
    That's the one big weakness I've read about in Socal Riders too...

mtbr member
    That's definitely the plus for the M9. I read in Socal Riders, this one reviewer, he said that it pedals better than the DHS Mono.. true?
    I don't know much about the DHS Mono except that it looks like overkill to me. The thing is a beast and I think that the last time I saw one it tipped the scales at about 50 lb or so.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    +1 for the m9. I absolutely love mine, its a great race bike, and actually jumps really well. The zerg ports are a little bit of an inconvenience, but it takes like 5 seconds to remove the shock. The asjustability is awesome, and the frame handles amazingly. Add to that if anything does go wrong intense is excellent to deal with for warranties.

Get it with a ccdb and you'll be in heaven, i know i am!

mtbr member
    the M9 is so nimble and jumps perfect.. best friend on track!

ride Downhill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have the V10C. The only weakness I've found is the stock RS Vivid. Replaced that with an Avy Woodie and it transformed the ride.

I would not rule out either of your other choices. There really isn't a bad pick in the bunch.
    If you're a Clydesdale, the lower leverage Foes would certainly provide a tuning advantage over the higher leverage VPP bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    V10c

BestDHbikefor2011
    2012 Nomad Carbon

2011 V-10 Carbon

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

C S
    mtbr member
    I've been riding an M9 for almost a year.

Pros:
    + Intense is a great company with awesome customer service
    + Combine the adjustability built into the frame (leverage, wheelbase, travel) with a CCDB and you can tune exactly to your tastes
    + Super stable and plush, yet high enough off the ground the avoid the pedal strikes that plagued my 951 FRO
    + The bike eats rocks for breakfast
    + In "short" wheelbase and travel, I've gotten it tuned to jump very well. Even in my race settings, it does decent on jumps

Cons:
    - Even in the shortest wheelbase setting, it is still a long and slack race bike. It feels sluggish on tight twisty singletrack and navigating tight switchbacks is a pain in the a$$. This is only a problem if you're looking for more of a do-it-all sort of bike
    - Heavy compared to, say, a V10c

mtbr member
    May 2006
    M9, love mine. I wouldnt consider the grease port a flaw. How often to pump new grease into it? Just pull the rear wheel and shock off, geesh, at least you can clean the rest of the hard to reach nicks and cranies while it's disabled.

Still waiting a few years to see how carbon fiber bikes hold up over time. Yeti 303 carbon might be my next bike 2-3 years from now, or might stick to the M9, or M12 by then.

Has foes done any thing to their frames or suspension in the last few years? I know their expensive as hell, and use that heavy cornnut shock.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F. View Post
    M9, love mine. I wouldnt consider the grease port a flaw. How often to pump new grease into it? Just pull the rear wheel and shock off, geesh, at least you can clean the rest of the hard to reach nicks and cranies while it's disabled.
    Nah, I don't think it's really a flaw either. Simply a pain to access it.
    2012 Intense M9
    2008 Look 595