Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Flying with a downhill bike...what case do you use?

Looking for a case that is airline friendly (lightweight, durable) that will fit my downhill bike with minimal disassembly. I know I can go to my lbs and use the old cardboard boxes however I'm looking to fly a lot and would like the convenience of using my own case, any recs are appreciated. Btw, I'm running a Kona Operator with a Boxxer up front.

Pro Crastinator
    good question. that's never been brought up here before...

Perpetual Hack
    Like WCH said, not really been discussed before...
    I will be a bit nicer - Search is your friend, but to help you get started...

Dakine
    EVOC
    Hockey Duffel Bag

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Mychel, thanks for not being a ***** and pointing me in the right direction. I actually did a search but didn't find much. Those search terms should help though...

mtbr member
    I like the Trico sports case. Very durable, and you can cram a lot of gear into it. The hockey bag trick is tempting (especially if flying US air), but I'm not willing to risk the damage or worry about getting caught.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I can't add the link to the bag I have, as I have less than 10 posts. However, just go to CRC and search Bike Bag. The CRC branded one is what I am talking about ($109ish)

Both myself and a good mate have one. Used it to get our downhill bikes back to Australia from Whistler at the end of last year.

Using the same bag again in 2 days when we fly back to Van then on to Whistler.

How does everything fit?

Currently has my entire downhill bike (size L 2011 Devinci Wilson) with the fork, stem and cranks/chainguide still on the bike. All other componentry is in a box in the bag. Also has my full face, half hat, pads and most of the parts from my BMX.

mtbr member
    I know a lot of folks don't like soft bags, but I just purchased a Pika bag for a 29er. Getting ready to head to whistler and so far my large Jedi fits in there great. There is a lot of padding on the sides and bottom. Bag and bike are around 51 pounds.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    i rented a tri all 3 the last two years for my whistler trips. it works great and is really nice to have the hard sides but they are pretty heavy. you have to be careful of not going over the 100lbs weight limit. you put a 35-40 lbs dh bike in one and you are already at 80 lbs. tools, gear, and parts and you can easily go over the limit. my buddy just uses a cardboard box and although he has never had any issues i just don't feel comfortable with the lack of protection. i think the thule would also be a real nice case but again it tends to get heavy quick b/c of the hard sides. another buddy has an evoc case that i'm going to try to borrow on my next trip to see how i like it. if i'm happy with it i will probably go with one of those.

cory

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Steery - thanks for the input. The CRC bag is really well priced and seems like a good option however I cant imagine how you got a boxxer to fit without taking it off the bike! On the CRC site the bag is pictured with a road bike in it and it looks like a snug fit.

I'll also look into the Trico, thanks everyone for the input.

mtbr member
    cardboard bike box from REI... every time. remove front wheel, pedals, and handlebars then wrap with towels and cardboard. Works awesome

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by backshift View Post
    cardboard bike box from REI... every time. remove front wheel, pedals, and handlebars then wrap with towels and cardboard. Works awesome
    that works great.....I have used a large beach cruiser bike box...still think I am going to get a bike bag....just less hassle of tapping everything up
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

pin it
    We have Dakine bike bags. We have flown with them twice and lent them out once. No worries
    Although we haven't used them much, they will last a lifetime.

They are heavier on the return home trips (dirty clothes, and BC wine used to fill the gaps )
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by backshift View Post

speak of the devil, the buddy i was referencing. cheap bastard...!

pv

mtbr member
    Haha! We've been know to stow a bottle or 2 of okanagan vino in ours too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Crate Works also makes a more rigid box than just the standard LBS box it's about half the cost of a hard case and weighs about half as much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The EVOC bag is the ticket! It's a bit pricy (cheapest I've found was chainreactioncycles, with free shipping to the U.S.) but it's well worth it if your traveling a bunch.

外国人
    Jun 2007
    dakine bike bag does the trick for me. a bit expensive though but the padding is great and it has rollers. the evoc looks nice too, as the bike is upright and the fork is attached to something relatively sturdy.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece View Post
    The EVOC bag is the ticket! It's a bit pricy (cheapest I've found was chainreactioncycles, with free shipping to the U.S.) but it's well worth it if your traveling a bunch.
    anybody using the EVOC case??? how do you like it pros/cons....could you post some pics
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

bike rider
    Question: What's more important to you?
    1. Minimal disassembly
    2. Organization/protection in the box

I ask because I've been using a prototype bike box of my own design for a year now that can be in production soon. No oversize charges on an airline, room for tools/gear/clothes, folds up when not in use, tubeless tires remain inflated, and very protective/organized (so TSA can open and rummage through). However, you need to disassemble nearly the entire bike, even the swingarm off the frame. I love it* but I don't know how the rest of the biking world feels. If there's little to no demand for this type of box I'll only make them for individual orders, rather than small production runs. Price should be around $450 and handmade of durable, high quality materials in Boulder, CO.

*It takes me 30 minutes to disassemble and pack the bike and 45 minutes to open and reassemble it.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    1. Minimal disassembly

I ask because I've been using a prototype bike box of my own design for a year now that can be in production soon. No oversize charges on an airline, room for tools/gear/clothes, folds up when not in use, tubeless tires remain inflated, and very protective/organized (so TSA can open and rummage through). However, you need to disassemble nearly the entire bike, even the swingarm off the frame. I love it* but I don't know how the rest of the biking world feels. If there's little to no demand for this type of box I'll only make them for individual orders, rather than small production runs. Price should be around $450 and handmade of durable, high quality materials in Boulder, CO.

*It takes me 30 minutes to disassemble and pack the bike and 45 minutes to open and reassemble it.
    I think that's awesome but people will balk at disassembly. After working in a shop I realize how inept and clueless most people are.

old school no.9
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    anybody using the EVOC case??? how do you like it pros/cons....could you post some pics
    The best bike bag on the market. Two of my buddies have EVOC bike bags and those work really well. DH bikes fit well without removing fork from the frame. But, compared to hard cases EVOC does not provide same protection if stacked horizontal... Thought there is always weight penalty on hard cases. Maybe some D-I-Y internal extra support for EVOC bags would make it superb. Airlines doesn't give a damn about "this side up" or " fragile" stickers on bike bags or cases.
    I love the smell of the TF2 chain lube in the morning.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    I think that's awesome but people will balk at disassembly. After working in a shop I realize how inept and clueless most people are.
    isn't that the truth!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    1. Minimal disassembly

i would love to see some pics of the case and of a dh bike in the case. maybe some that show some more detail. i could be really interested. what does it weight empty?

pv

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ak pura vida View Post
    i would love to see some pics of the case and of a dh bike in the case. maybe some that show some more detail. i could be really interested. what does it weight empty?

pv
    Sorry, no details or pics till I've done something to protect the idea. I sized it to fit my large V10 with 2.7" tires and XL Ibis Mojo, so any full sus bike should fit. Very light empty as it's just corroplast (sp?) hollow plastic covered with ballistic and high denier nylon. The support comes from its structure and internal dividers. Seperate compartments for most parts to keep things organized and protected. This is the first I've mentioned it publicly but I'll pay MTBR for advertising and make a thread when the production sample is done.
    Keep the Country country.

Glad to Be Alive
    1. Minimal disassembly

honestly a great mechanic, but I wouldn't want to take apart swingarms and all...realistically I like leaving the back wheel on...take pedals and front fork off...front tire to side

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast