Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Flying with a downhill bike...what case do you use?

13K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  delirian 
#1 ·
Looking for a case that is airline friendly (lightweight, durable) that will fit my downhill bike with minimal disassembly. I know I can go to my lbs and use the old cardboard boxes however I'm looking to fly a lot and would like the convenience of using my own case, any recs are appreciated. Btw, I'm running a Kona Operator with a Boxxer up front.

#3 ·
Like WCH said, not really been discussed before...
I will be a bit nicer - Search is your friend, but to help you get started...

Dakine
EVOC
Hockey Duffel Bag

michael

#6 ·
I can't add the link to the bag I have, as I have less than 10 posts. However, just go to CRC and search Bike Bag. The CRC branded one is what I am talking about ($109ish)

Both myself and a good mate have one. Used it to get our downhill bikes back to Australia from Whistler at the end of last year.

Using the same bag again in 2 days when we fly back to Van then on to Whistler.

How does everything fit?

Currently has my entire downhill bike (size L 2011 Devinci Wilson) with the fork, stem and cranks/chainguide still on the bike. All other componentry is in a box in the bag. Also has my full face, half hat, pads and most of the parts from my BMX.

#8 ·
i rented a tri all 3 the last two years for my whistler trips. it works great and is really nice to have the hard sides but they are pretty heavy. you have to be careful of not going over the 100lbs weight limit. you put a 35-40 lbs dh bike in one and you are already at 80 lbs. tools, gear, and parts and you can easily go over the limit. my buddy just uses a cardboard box and although he has never had any issues i just don't feel comfortable with the lack of protection. i think the thule would also be a real nice case but again it tends to get heavy quick b/c of the hard sides. another buddy has an evoc case that i'm going to try to borrow on my next trip to see how i like it. if i'm happy with it i will probably go with one of those.

cory

#9 ·
Steery - thanks for the input. The CRC bag is really well priced and seems like a good option however I cant imagine how you got a boxxer to fit without taking it off the bike! On the CRC site the bag is pictured with a road bike in it and it looks like a snug fit.

I'll also look into the Trico, thanks everyone for the input.

#12 ·
We have Dakine bike bags. We have flown with them twice and lent them out once. No worries
Although we haven't used them much, they will last a lifetime.

They are heavier on the return home trips (dirty clothes, and BC wine used to fill the gaps )

#19 ·
Question: What's more important to you?
1. Minimal disassembly
2. Organization/protection in the box

I ask because I've been using a prototype bike box of my own design for a year now that can be in production soon. No oversize charges on an airline, room for tools/gear/clothes, folds up when not in use, tubeless tires remain inflated, and very protective/organized (so TSA can open and rummage through). However, you need to disassemble nearly the entire bike, even the swingarm off the frame. I love it* but I don't know how the rest of the biking world feels. If there's little to no demand for this type of box I'll only make them for individual orders, rather than small production runs. Price should be around $450 and handmade of durable, high quality materials in Boulder, CO.

*It takes me 30 minutes to disassemble and pack the bike and 45 minutes to open and reassemble it.

#28 ·
I figured that's the case for most people. My box would be for a rider who travels a lot and has a tight budget so the $200+ per trip savings on baggage fees would be worth it. Also I can't be the only one who doesn't have a place to store a large box.

#32 ·
for the last 3 years my brother and i have been using the evoc bike bags, though they are expensive and quite heavy at 7kg they are very good for carrying bikes, they are well thought out with thick padding, nice thick block to sit the bike on, straps to secure frame in place, soloid base arround the rear to protect the mech and mech hanger, thick padding and solid base where the fork sits,. wide wheels so the bag doesnt fall over. seperate wheel compartments, with pipe and solid plastic pannel to you dont need to remove the rotors, and a coupple of side pocketts to store things,
the only down side to these bags are price and weight,
chainreaction are doing a copy version of this bag for a reasonable price.

if weight is an issue for you then a bike box from the lbs is your best option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.