Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

New question here. floatin' brakes!

Anyone know the web site or phone# for that brake Theropy company?

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Chillin the Most

Here....

Brake Therapy enjoy.

Of course you know if you have an FSR (Big Hit. Intense M1, Iron Horse SGS etc.), you won't need a floater.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FOESN'
    Anyone know the web site or phone# for that brake Theropy company?

Here you go:

http://www.therapycomponents.com/

mtbr member
    Brake therapy is what you want, pm the member here called Shock , it's his company and he's really good answering questions and giving the lowdown on his products........
    web at http://www.therapycomponents.com/btmoreinfo.htm

Bighit Po Pimp
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Brake Therapy enjoy.

Of course you know if you have an FSR (Big Hit. Intense M1, Iron Horse SGS etc.), you won't need a floater.

I don't know much about this topic but why would a FSR Bighit not need this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devious Donte

Do a search on this topic.....This subject as has been done to death...noticing your low post count I assume your new.... There is a huge thread between Shock (owner of compny) and Red and well answering all matter of things on this subject... Keep looking it's like 50+ posts on the topic

Former Noob Herder
    no one "needs" floaters, its a performance enhancement device, like ribbed condoms or cock rings....

Chillin the Most

Well...

first let me say that under no circumstances am I saying that floaters will not have some sort of positive effect on an FSR.

However, I do question the degree of effectiveness it will make. FSR bikes do not to any noticable degree suffer from "brake jack" or " suspension lockout" when the brakes are applied. Which is the whole point of the floating brake science. So to my (read IMO) spending approx. $300.00 USD on a floating brake for your FSR would be money not well spent.

But just so we're all clear on this, it is my belief that most other common suspension designs, Konas - Bullits - Foes - etc., would benefit greatly from the addition of a floater.

I truly hope I have explained myself in a PC enough manner as to not have insulted or offended Shock or Zedro. I assume we'll soon know.

Edit: Thanks for the new quote Zedro.

I've got a Stiffee
    I just bought a Weyless 67, and rode it at Aliso today. Going down the braking bumps on Lynx I noticed quite a bit of brake jack. Those therapy component floater kits are $300? That is a lot of money, would switching to a smaller rotor help with this issue? Since the bike came with 8" rotors stock, I'm think thing that the 8" in the rear may be overkill for my weight (170ish) and that switching to a 6" would be a better alternative than spending $300 on a floater kit. Any opinions?

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by FXRob
    I just bought a Weyless 67, and rode it at Aliso today. Going down the braking bumps on Lynx I noticed quite a bit of brake jack. Those therapy component floater kits are $300? That is a lot of money, would switching to a smaller rotor help with this issue? Since the bike came with 8" rotors stock, I'm think thing that the 8" in the rear may be overkill for my weight (170ish) and that switching to a 6" would be a better alternative than spending $300 on a floater kit. Any opinions?
    Sadly, changing the rotor will only effect the ammount of stopping power you will have, but not the "suspension lock" you feel. That is a direct result of the bikes design and the only way too combat it is with a floater or use your brakes less.

This is one of the main reasons I never like my original single pivot bike. I'd be hauling @ss into a corner filled with stutter bumps, grab a handful of barke and all I'd feel is my back end stiffen up, bouncing all over the place like I was riding a hardtail. If I ever owned another SP bike, I would definitely get a floater for it. Although I would have a hard time justifying that when the floater costs almost as much as my frame.

Disco-Superfly
    $300? That is a lot of money, $300 on a floater kit. Any opinions?
    buy one used, or, build one???
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Former Noob Herder
    I truly hope I have explained myself in a PC enough manner as to not have insulted or offended Shock or Zedro. I assume we'll soon know.
    it's only offensive if you propagate misconceptions about braking physics or call Brian a charlatan again...

I've got a Stiffee
    . Although I would have a hard time justifying that when the floater costs almost as much as my frame.
    Exactly, however I am pretty impressed with this bike so far. It climbs very well and it feels pretty stiff to me. On my Foes FXR I don't notice the kind of brake jack that I feel on the Weyless....both single pivot bikes. Why are those floater kits so damn expensive? Just because they are a monopoly?

Former Noob Herder
    Why are those floater kits so damn expensive? Just because they are a monopoly?
    low volume CNC stuff usually is, especially if you are catoring to alot of different setups. And its not a monopoly, anyone is free to make these kits, i just dont see it as being very profitable to be worth the time.

I considered making floaters when i was making some linkage plates on the side. I didnt persue either in the end.

Chillin the Most
    Exactly, however I am pretty impressed with this bike so far. It climbs very well and it feels pretty stiff to me. On my Foes FXR I don't notice the kind of brake jack that I feel on the Weyless....both single pivot bikes. Why are those floater kits so damn expensive? Just because they are a monopoly?
    The difference probably has to do wiht the pivot placement.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 67 is a nice bike for what it is. I've watched Weyvoless (or whatever his name is today ) beat the crap out of his for a couple years now.

As for the cost of the floaters, well it might be due the theory of supply in demand. Not much demand so the price goes up, since the cost to mfg such small lots is probably pretty costly. But I'm not really sure, I'm just basing that off what I see at races and when riding places like Big Bear and Bootleg, because I've never seen allot of guys running floaters. Though I don't know why, they make prefect sense to me for most DH bike applications.
    Last edited by RED5; 12-20-2004 at 05:44 PM.

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    it's only offensive if you propagate misconceptions about braking physics or call Brian a charlatan again...
    Agreed, very good then. Since I have been corrected before, it shant be a problem again. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Hey Red...If I remember correctly Brian was supposed to hook you up with a loaner to check it out as you didnt think it would have an effect (or little) on FSR's..... Did you ever end up trying it out? if so what were thoughts on it?

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpur
    Hey Red...If I remember correctly Brian was supposed to hook you up with a loaner to check it out as you didnt think it would have an effect (or little) on FSR's..... Did you ever end up trying it out? if so what were thoughts on it?
    No that wasn't the case. I had inquired to Brian about him sending me one and I would pay him half his full cost up front and pay the rest or be refunded my half depending on the outcome of my trying a floater on my Big Hit. He refused the deal, saying he doesn't play favorites or give favors, even after he had already offered one to Knoel Buckley (Knolly Bikes) to try for free. Not sure what that's called, but it sounds like a favor.

I speculate that selling one isn't as important as the possibillity of selling a bunch to a bike mfg or at the very least having it as an option to sell with frames like Knolly's and that's why the favor that wasn't a favor was offered to Knoel and not myself.

Whatever, I'm over it. I never thought it would make a difference anyhow, just thought that since he felt so strongly about the fact that it would, that I would give his product a chance tom prove itself. Oh well.

Former Noob Herder
    No that wasn't the case. I had inquired to Brian about him sending me one and I would pay him half his full cost up front and pay the rest or be refunded my half depending on the outcome of my trying a floater on my Big Hit. He refused the deal, saying he doesn't play favorites or give favors, even after he had already offered one to Knoel Buckley (Knolly Bikes) to try for free. Not sure what that's called, but it sounds like a favor.

I speculate that selling one isn't as important as the possibillity of selling a bunch to a bike mfg or at the very least having it as an option to sell with frames like Knolly's and that's why the favor that wasn't a favor was offered to Knoel and not myself.

Whatever, I'm over it. I never thought it would make a difference anyhow, just thought that since he felt so strongly about the fact that it would, that I would give his product a chance tom prove itself. Oh well.
    i guess he just didnt see your self-importance. You must of gotten mad at Progressive Suspension too because the same situation was also produced.

i'm going X-Mas shopping now; only going to pay half the cost up front just in case i dont end up liking the stuff i buy....

oh BTW, its kinda obvious you sabotaged the deal with Brian...he has a 100% money-back garantee, but somehow that isnt good enough. Instead you chose to sour what would of been a zero-risk deal. Hell i wouldnt go for it, especially the part about you "promoting the crap outta it" as part of your deal....

TNC
    noMAD man

No way for a lawman to talk!

no one "needs" floaters, its a performance enhancement device, like ribbed condoms or cock rings....
    LOL! Are you in the vice squad?

mtbr member
    bummer red..... I was looking foward to your review as I knew you'd be honest about it..... Yeah for him to offer to Knoel does make buisness sense....Seems like with everything said, you could have got one to check it out......

Chillin the Most
    i guess he just didnt see your self-importance. You must of gotten mad at Progressive Suspension too because the same situation was also produced.

i'm going X-Mas shopping now; only going to pay half the cost up front just in case i dont end up liking the stuff i buy....

oh BTW, its kinda obvious you sabotaged the deal with Brian...he has a 100% money-back garantee, but somehow that isnt good enough. Instead you chose to sour what would of been a zero-risk deal. Hell i wouldnt go for it, especially the part about you "promoting the crap outta it" as part of your deal....
    Huh, don't recall having any dealings with Progressive, you must have me confused with some other self important person.

Well, I'm not going to pay that much money up front to try anything I don't think stands a chance of making a differene in the first place so no. Besides, I don't know Brian any more than I would know some jackoff from Canada selling me some crap on Ebay even with 800,000 postive feedbacks. But for some reason I supposed to take his word for it that the day I tell him I don't like his product that I'm getting my money back and I'm not going to have to wait for months or hassle with him. I can come to grips with the concept of maybe losing $150 in a bad business deal, but not $300. And say I didn't get my money back, it's not like theres a whole boat load of people out there itching to buy a floater for a Big Hit so chance of me selling it to someone else and recouping my money would be slim. Unlike if I bought a Shiver or some tire I didn't like.

I wouldn't worry about anyone "promoting the crap" out of anything you may have to produce since you have nothing to promote and probably never will by the looks of what I've seen you produce so far. The cost to mfg that monstrosity you call a bike, would put you so far in debt your great grandkids wouldn't be able to recover. Provided you can even reproduce.

See I was trying to be nice earlier, but you had to shoot your f*cking mouth off. So this is how it has to be I guess. Remember Zedro, you reap what you sow.

650 yay area
    Red5- Huckworthy Pedafile wants on you so bad because of that post. You are SO COOL. ALL THE EMO KIDZ LOVE YOU IN THEIR TIGHT JEANS.

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpur
    bummer red..... I was looking foward to your review as I knew you'd be honest about it..... Yeah for him to offer to Knoel does make buisness sense....Seems like with everything said, you could have got one to check it out......
    yeah well, no biggie. I still stand by opinion that an FSR design bike will not gain any worthwhile braking advantage over not having one. I know it's sad to say it, but it seems someone was able to produce a frame design that doesn't require a floater. Luckily for Brian (shock), lots of other frame mfg's couldn't manage to this so he still has allot of frames to sell floaters for. Heck even the almighty design guru Zedro with all his infinite wisdom wasn't able to come up with something, I'm amazed yet I'm not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast