Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4

    New question here. floatin' brakes!

    Anyone know the web site or phone# for that brake Theropy company?

  2. #2
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  3. #3
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028

    Here....

    Brake Therapy enjoy.



    Of course you know if you have an FSR (Big Hit. Intense M1, Iron Horse SGS etc.), you won't need a floater.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,826
    Quote Originally Posted by FOESN'
    Anyone know the web site or phone# for that brake Theropy company?

    Here you go:

    http://www.therapycomponents.com/

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Felpur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    798
    Brake therapy is what you want, pm the member here called Shock , it's his company and he's really good answering questions and giving the lowdown on his products........
    web at http://www.therapycomponents.com/btmoreinfo.htm

  6. #6
    Bighit Po Pimp
    Reputation: Devious Donte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Brake Therapy enjoy.



    Of course you know if you have an FSR (Big Hit. Intense M1, Iron Horse SGS etc.), you won't need a floater.

    I don't know much about this topic but why would a FSR Bighit not need this?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Felpur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    798
    Quote Originally Posted by Devious Donte
    I don't know much about this topic but why would a FSR Bighit not need this?

    Do a search on this topic.....This subject as has been done to death...noticing your low post count I assume your new.... There is a huge thread between Shock (owner of compny) and Red and well answering all matter of things on this subject... Keep looking it's like 50+ posts on the topic

  8. #8
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Devious Donte
    I don't know much about this topic but why would a FSR Bighit not need this?
    no one "needs" floaters, its a performance enhancement device, like ribbed condoms or cock rings....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  9. #9
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028

    Well...

    Quote Originally Posted by Devious Donte
    I don't know much about this topic but why would a FSR Bighit not need this?
    first let me say that under no circumstances am I saying that floaters will not have some sort of positive effect on an FSR.

    However, I do question the degree of effectiveness it will make. FSR bikes do not to any noticable degree suffer from "brake jack" or " suspension lockout" when the brakes are applied. Which is the whole point of the floating brake science. So to my (read IMO) spending approx. $300.00 USD on a floating brake for your FSR would be money not well spent.

    But just so we're all clear on this, it is my belief that most other common suspension designs, Konas - Bullits - Foes - etc., would benefit greatly from the addition of a floater.

    I truly hope I have explained myself in a PC enough manner as to not have insulted or offended Shock or Zedro. I assume we'll soon know.


    Edit: Thanks for the new quote Zedro.

  10. #10
    I've got a Stiffee
    Reputation: FXRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    913
    I just bought a Weyless 67, and rode it at Aliso today. Going down the braking bumps on Lynx I noticed quite a bit of brake jack. Those therapy component floater kits are $300? That is a lot of money, would switching to a smaller rotor help with this issue? Since the bike came with 8" rotors stock, I'm think thing that the 8" in the rear may be overkill for my weight (170ish) and that switching to a 6" would be a better alternative than spending $300 on a floater kit. Any opinions?

  11. #11
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by FXRob
    I just bought a Weyless 67, and rode it at Aliso today. Going down the braking bumps on Lynx I noticed quite a bit of brake jack. Those therapy component floater kits are $300? That is a lot of money, would switching to a smaller rotor help with this issue? Since the bike came with 8" rotors stock, I'm think thing that the 8" in the rear may be overkill for my weight (170ish) and that switching to a 6" would be a better alternative than spending $300 on a floater kit. Any opinions?
    Sadly, changing the rotor will only effect the ammount of stopping power you will have, but not the "suspension lock" you feel. That is a direct result of the bikes design and the only way too combat it is with a floater or use your brakes less.

    This is one of the main reasons I never like my original single pivot bike. I'd be hauling @ss into a corner filled with stutter bumps, grab a handful of barke and all I'd feel is my back end stiffen up, bouncing all over the place like I was riding a hardtail. If I ever owned another SP bike, I would definitely get a floater for it. Although I would have a hard time justifying that when the floater costs almost as much as my frame.

  12. #12
    Disco-Superfly
    Reputation: Jake_HT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,854
    Quote Originally Posted by FXRob
    $300? That is a lot of money, $300 on a floater kit. Any opinions?
    buy one used, or, build one???
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

  13. #13
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    I truly hope I have explained myself in a PC enough manner as to not have insulted or offended Shock or Zedro. I assume we'll soon know.
    it's only offensive if you propagate misconceptions about braking physics or call Brian a charlatan again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  14. #14
    I've got a Stiffee
    Reputation: FXRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    . Although I would have a hard time justifying that when the floater costs almost as much as my frame.
    Exactly, however I am pretty impressed with this bike so far. It climbs very well and it feels pretty stiff to me. On my Foes FXR I don't notice the kind of brake jack that I feel on the Weyless....both single pivot bikes. Why are those floater kits so damn expensive? Just because they are a monopoly?

  15. #15
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by FXRob
    Why are those floater kits so damn expensive? Just because they are a monopoly?
    low volume CNC stuff usually is, especially if you are catoring to alot of different setups. And its not a monopoly, anyone is free to make these kits, i just dont see it as being very profitable to be worth the time.

    I considered making floaters when i was making some linkage plates on the side. I didnt persue either in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  16. #16
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by FXRob
    Exactly, however I am pretty impressed with this bike so far. It climbs very well and it feels pretty stiff to me. On my Foes FXR I don't notice the kind of brake jack that I feel on the Weyless....both single pivot bikes. Why are those floater kits so damn expensive? Just because they are a monopoly?
    The difference probably has to do wiht the pivot placement.

    Don't get me wrong, I think the 67 is a nice bike for what it is. I've watched Weyvoless (or whatever his name is today ) beat the crap out of his for a couple years now.

    As for the cost of the floaters, well it might be due the theory of supply in demand. Not much demand so the price goes up, since the cost to mfg such small lots is probably pretty costly. But I'm not really sure, I'm just basing that off what I see at races and when riding places like Big Bear and Bootleg, because I've never seen allot of guys running floaters. Though I don't know why, they make prefect sense to me for most DH bike applications.
    Last edited by RED5; 12-20-2004 at 05:44 PM.

  17. #17
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    it's only offensive if you propagate misconceptions about braking physics or call Brian a charlatan again...
    Agreed, very good then. Since I have been corrected before, it shant be a problem again. Thank you.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Felpur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    798
    Hey Red...If I remember correctly Brian was supposed to hook you up with a loaner to check it out as you didnt think it would have an effect (or little) on FSR's..... Did you ever end up trying it out? if so what were thoughts on it?

  19. #19
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpur
    Hey Red...If I remember correctly Brian was supposed to hook you up with a loaner to check it out as you didnt think it would have an effect (or little) on FSR's..... Did you ever end up trying it out? if so what were thoughts on it?
    No that wasn't the case. I had inquired to Brian about him sending me one and I would pay him half his full cost up front and pay the rest or be refunded my half depending on the outcome of my trying a floater on my Big Hit. He refused the deal, saying he doesn't play favorites or give favors, even after he had already offered one to Knoel Buckley (Knolly Bikes) to try for free. Not sure what that's called, but it sounds like a favor.

    I speculate that selling one isn't as important as the possibillity of selling a bunch to a bike mfg or at the very least having it as an option to sell with frames like Knolly's and that's why the favor that wasn't a favor was offered to Knoel and not myself.

    Whatever, I'm over it. I never thought it would make a difference anyhow, just thought that since he felt so strongly about the fact that it would, that I would give his product a chance tom prove itself. Oh well.

  20. #20
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    No that wasn't the case. I had inquired to Brian about him sending me one and I would pay him half his full cost up front and pay the rest or be refunded my half depending on the outcome of my trying a floater on my Big Hit. He refused the deal, saying he doesn't play favorites or give favors, even after he had already offered one to Knoel Buckley (Knolly Bikes) to try for free. Not sure what that's called, but it sounds like a favor.

    I speculate that selling one isn't as important as the possibillity of selling a bunch to a bike mfg or at the very least having it as an option to sell with frames like Knolly's and that's why the favor that wasn't a favor was offered to Knoel and not myself.

    Whatever, I'm over it. I never thought it would make a difference anyhow, just thought that since he felt so strongly about the fact that it would, that I would give his product a chance tom prove itself. Oh well.
    i guess he just didnt see your self-importance. You must of gotten mad at Progressive Suspension too because the same situation was also produced.

    i'm going X-Mas shopping now; only going to pay half the cost up front just in case i dont end up liking the stuff i buy....

    oh BTW, its kinda obvious you sabotaged the deal with Brian...he has a 100% money-back garantee, but somehow that isnt good enough. Instead you chose to sour what would of been a zero-risk deal. Hell i wouldnt go for it, especially the part about you "promoting the crap outta it" as part of your deal....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  21. #21
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059

    No way for a lawman to talk!

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no one "needs" floaters, its a performance enhancement device, like ribbed condoms or cock rings....
    LOL! Are you in the vice squad?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Felpur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    798
    bummer red..... I was looking foward to your review as I knew you'd be honest about it..... Yeah for him to offer to Knoel does make buisness sense....Seems like with everything said, you could have got one to check it out......

  23. #23
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    i guess he just didnt see your self-importance. You must of gotten mad at Progressive Suspension too because the same situation was also produced.

    i'm going X-Mas shopping now; only going to pay half the cost up front just in case i dont end up liking the stuff i buy....

    oh BTW, its kinda obvious you sabotaged the deal with Brian...he has a 100% money-back garantee, but somehow that isnt good enough. Instead you chose to sour what would of been a zero-risk deal. Hell i wouldnt go for it, especially the part about you "promoting the crap outta it" as part of your deal....
    Huh, don't recall having any dealings with Progressive, you must have me confused with some other self important person.

    Well, I'm not going to pay that much money up front to try anything I don't think stands a chance of making a differene in the first place so no. Besides, I don't know Brian any more than I would know some jackoff from Canada selling me some crap on Ebay even with 800,000 postive feedbacks. But for some reason I supposed to take his word for it that the day I tell him I don't like his product that I'm getting my money back and I'm not going to have to wait for months or hassle with him. I can come to grips with the concept of maybe losing $150 in a bad business deal, but not $300. And say I didn't get my money back, it's not like theres a whole boat load of people out there itching to buy a floater for a Big Hit so chance of me selling it to someone else and recouping my money would be slim. Unlike if I bought a Shiver or some tire I didn't like.

    I wouldn't worry about anyone "promoting the crap" out of anything you may have to produce since you have nothing to promote and probably never will by the looks of what I've seen you produce so far. The cost to mfg that monstrosity you call a bike, would put you so far in debt your great grandkids wouldn't be able to recover. Provided you can even reproduce.

    See I was trying to be nice earlier, but you had to shoot your f*cking mouth off. So this is how it has to be I guess. Remember Zedro, you reap what you sow.

  24. #24
    650 yay area
    Reputation: The Kadvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,114
    Red5- Huckworthy Pedafile wants on you so bad because of that post. You are SO COOL. ALL THE EMO KIDZ LOVE YOU IN THEIR TIGHT JEANS.

  25. #25
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpur
    bummer red..... I was looking foward to your review as I knew you'd be honest about it..... Yeah for him to offer to Knoel does make buisness sense....Seems like with everything said, you could have got one to check it out......
    yeah well, no biggie. I still stand by opinion that an FSR design bike will not gain any worthwhile braking advantage over not having one. I know it's sad to say it, but it seems someone was able to produce a frame design that doesn't require a floater. Luckily for Brian (shock), lots of other frame mfg's couldn't manage to this so he still has allot of frames to sell floaters for. Heck even the almighty design guru Zedro with all his infinite wisdom wasn't able to come up with something, I'm amazed yet I'm not.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,826
    Quote Originally Posted by FOESN'
    Anyone know the web site or phone# for that brake Theropy company?
    Now you have done it. Every time this topic comes up it turns into a flame war.

    Zedro, maybe a "floating brake FAQ" area similar to the disc brake area so we do not have to go through this every 5 days........

  27. #27
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028

    Excuse me...

    Quote Originally Posted by The Kadvang
    Red5- Huckworthy Pedafile wants on you so bad because of that post. You are SO COOL. ALL THE EMO KIDZ LOVE YOU IN THEIR TIGHT JEANS.
    care to explain what all you jargon is about? To whom are you trying to be a smart@ss too? As usual it appears all the bong token has yet again left you with nothing intelligent to say.

    And hey you go rasta man, free mummy or whatever you druggie activists are fighting about today.

    BTW - Sorry to the guy who originally posted this thread. But some people just can't seem to mind their own business, leave sh!t alone or post anything useful.

  28. #28
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Huh, don't recall having any dealings with Progressive, you must have me confused with some other self important person.

    .
    re-read it again, maybe you'll get my point. If you expected the same treatment Brian offered Knolly, then perhaps you'd expect the same from whatever services Progressive Suspension would offer Knolly as well?

    you make it sound like some kinda conspiracy. You're just some random dude off the internet who was making a stink about a product you never tried based on knowledge you didnt really have...why would he want to make some special deal just for you?

    See I was trying to be nice earlier, but you had to shoot your f*cking mouth off. So this is how it has to be I guess. Remember Zedro, you reap what you sow.
    actually it was in response to you tossing turds again. For some reason you've had a real hard-on for pissing on him in the first place for no reason whatsoever. I don't dig that crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  29. #29
    650 yay area
    Reputation: The Kadvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    care to explain what all you jargon is about? To whom are you trying to be a smart@ss too? As usual it appears all the bong token has yet again left you with nothing intelligent to say.
    Alright that was the metaphorical straw that broke the metaphorical back of the mother****!ng metaphorical camel. You just talked sh*t about Brian from Brake Therapy, one of the few manufacters who takes his time to come on to these amazingly cliquey internet forum circle-jerks with obviously no basis for your arguement. Because he refused to give you a "bro-deal" on his product which already has a 100% money back guarantee, you get your panties all up in a wad. This leads to you lashing out at big bad moderator zedro, who is basically an a$$hole to everybody, regardless of their stance on floating brakes.

    Let me rephrase that. HUCKWORTHY PEDAFILE wishes to engage in a threesome with you and CHUCK NORRIS. That is all.

  30. #30
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    yeah well, no biggie. I still stand by opinion that an FSR design bike will not gain any worthwhile braking advantage over not having one. I know it's sad to say it, but it seems someone was able to produce a frame design that doesn't require a floater. Luckily for Brian (shock), lots of other frame mfg's couldn't manage to this so he still has allot of frames to sell floaters for. Heck even the almighty design guru Zedro with all his infinite wisdom wasn't able to come up with something, I'm amazed yet I'm not.
    well we tried to explain the basic premise of suspension systems and braking, and also tried to explain relative perception of need and performance, but after 5 damn pages of you still not getting it, no wonder it seems like we haven't come up with "something", whatever you mean by that.

    and you still dont understand that no one has said OH GAWD YES YOU ABSOLUTLY NEED THIS OR THE UNIVERSE WILL IMPLODE, but rather some may appreciate the difference and others may not. And if you still dont know what the actual physical differences are between a 4 bar with and without a floater no matter how the 4 bar is designed, there are a ton of posts that were dedicated just for you to understand this in the first place. I can't make you understand.

    if you want quatifiable numbers of performance advantage, it is 5.748354....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  31. #31
    650 yay area
    Reputation: The Kadvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,114
    The Big Z said what I meant, only much more eloquently.

  32. #32
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kadvang
    This leads to you lashing out at big bad moderator zedro, who is basically an a$$hole to everybody, regardless of their stance on floating brakes.
    ahh shucks...thanks dude...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  33. #33
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    re-read it again, maybe you'll get my point. If you expected the same treatment Brian offered Knolly, then perhaps you'd expect the same from whatever services Progressive Suspension would offer Knolly as well?

    you make it sound like some kinda conspiracy. You're just some random dude off the internet who was making a stink about a product you never tried based on knowledge you didnt really have...why would he want to make some special deal just for you?
    Well since Progressive can actually offer something that benefits every frame design, then I would say no I wouldn't. Look bub, don't get the wrong impression I don't go around asking for favors from anyone, even my friends. I hate asking people for anything, been that way since I was living in the backseat of my 78 Malibu in Maine at age 15, even when the winter was -20 below. Like I said before, I thought it was fair proposal. He had a product made to combat a design flaw that FSR's don't appear to have and I have an FSR and the ability to reach a segment of the MTB populace that may not not know about the advantages of a floater.

    Doesn't seem to take a marketing degree to know that the more people using and talking positively about your product, the more interest there will be in said product. Even if it's through the local riding scene and message boards. Every person who uses your product is potential marketing, be it good or bad, to some degree. Don't beleive me, then ask yourself why so many people still use Panaracer tires, when they do practically no marketing and don't really use any special rubber compound like the competition. Because allot of people talk about them and word gets around. Word of mouth can effectively touch more people than any magazine ad or website.

  34. #34
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    well we tried to explain the basic premise of suspension systems and braking, and also tried to explain relative perception of need and performance, but after 5 damn pages of you still not getting it, no wonder it seems like we haven't come up with "something", whatever you mean by that.

    and you still dont understand that no one has said OH GAWD YES YOU ABSOLUTLY NEED THIS OR THE UNIVERSE WILL IMPLODE, but rather some may appreciate the difference and others may not. And if you still dont know what the actual physical differences are between a 4 bar with and without a floater no matter how the 4 bar is designed, there are a ton of posts that were dedicated just for you to understand this in the first place. I can't make you understand.

    if you want quatifiable numbers of performance advantage, it is 5.748354....
    If you remember correctly the original discussion was about the FSR having a vertical axle path, which in case you don't remember after "5 damned pages" of discussion I conceded it doesn't have a vertical axle path.

    I know there was also talk about the braking on the FSR having the ability to react with out influencing the suspension action. I beleive this is how the floater issue came about. And the only point that was made clear was that the suspension and braking are not independent of one another. However, nobody made any clarification about how an FSR exhibits brake jack. The only thing I recall anyone saying about floaters and FSR's is Shocks claim that he's sold some floaters to M1 onwners.

    Well that depends on your definition of need. If you want the highest level of performance out of most bike designs than chances are a floater will be a necessity. But you know what your right. Nobody needs a floater. However, it cannot be denied that allot frame designs lack very good braking characteristics, even yours, and would benefit greatly from a floater.

    Here's a little tidbit for you...if you want the quatifiable numbers of times you appear to be talking out of you @ss and sh!tting out of you mouth when replying to something I've posted, it is 98.963257....

    Now do we want to keep going on with this childish debate and stupid public distaste for one another or can we get over it and move on. Because since the beginning of this post I have said nothing untruthful about Brian, his products or my dealings with him. Heck had you not brought up the whole past dealings I would have just written off Felpurs questions by just saying it didn't work out. But you had to bring up the issue. Why don;t you try taking your own advice and leave crap alone. You make it very hard for me to be a nice guy, when you yourself keep diggin up old sh!t that doesn't need to be brought up.

  35. #35
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kadvang
    Alright that was the metaphorical straw that broke the metaphorical back of the mother****!ng metaphorical camel. You just talked sh*t about Brian from Brake Therapy, one of the few manufacters who takes his time to come on to these amazingly cliquey internet forum circle-jerks with obviously no basis for your arguement. Because he refused to give you a "bro-deal" on his product which already has a 100% money back guarantee, you get your panties all up in a wad. This leads to you lashing out at big bad moderator zedro, who is basically an a$$hole to everybody, regardless of their stance on floating brakes.

    Let me rephrase that. HUCKWORTHY PEDAFILE wishes to engage in a threesome with you and CHUCK NORRIS. That is all.
    Do any of you MORONS even know the meaning of BRO DEAL. I did not ask for nor make reference to getting a BRO DEAL. Pay attention toker, I'm only going to say this one last time just for you. I asked he send me one and I pay half the MSRP up front and upon my decision to either keep it or not, I would pay the remainder of the MSRP price or he would refund me my half already paid. That is not a BRO DEAL. When was the last time you paid full price for a BRO DEAL?

    Judging from your lack of comprehension about what actually transpired between Brian and myself, I would advise you stick to KEEPING YOU DUMB@SS MOUTH SHUT! And stick to talking about things you have a comprehension for, things like bongs, drug dealings, pipes, cheap beer, transvestites (or however your fetish is spelled), etc. Because right now your talking out of your @ss.

  36. #36
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kadvang
    The Big Z said what I meant, only much more eloquently.
    Now that's a big surprise!!!

  37. #37
    BJ-
    BJ- is offline
    Rota Imports
    Reputation: BJ-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,669
    behave girlies...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    372

    No good

    Will some one please delete this thread?


    It has nothing constructive to contribute to this forum.

  39. #39
    /dev/null
    Reputation: binary visions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    If you remember correctly the original discussion was about the FSR having a vertical axle path, which in case you don't remember after "5 damned pages" of discussion I conceded it doesn't have a vertical axle path.

    I know there was also talk about the braking on the FSR having the ability to react with out influencing the suspension action. I beleive this is how the floater issue came about. And the only point that was made clear was that the suspension and braking are not independent of one another. However, nobody made any clarification about how an FSR exhibits brake jack. The only thing I recall anyone saying about floaters and FSR's is Shocks claim that he's sold some floaters to M1 onwners.
    The sad thing is that it took "5 damned pages" to convince you of it, even though your knowledge came from Specialized's marketing department (regardless of whether or not it was directly off their webpage, the fact is that the conception that an FSR has a vertical axle path can ONLY come from Specialized's marketing department), while the other people who were trying to enlighten you were basing their knowledge on phyiscs and good, grounded, proven facts.

    The same case exists here. People with more knowledge than you are telling you something, and you have nothing but a seat of the pants "feel" (not even based on a direct comparison) to back up your own point. Sure, you should always poke and prod and ask for more information, but instead you simply take the pigheaded approach that what they are saying is wrong until they have backed you into a corner with pages and pages of facts and data, and force you to concede your point.

    You know what would happen if you simply said, "I can't feel any brake jack in my FSR. Why is that? How would a floating brake help if I can't feel anything?" ?

    You'd get a bunch of helpful people, including Brian from Therapy Components, in here explaining exactly how it helps, and providing you with useful information. But instead, you choose to be nasty and argumentative.

    RE: this whole thing with Therapy & your "deal" - well, it never hurts to ask, I guess. However, you have to recognize that your "deal" was a huge stretch - some random guy, asking for half price on a retail item simply to see if he liked it or not. They already have a money back guarantee and a business is far more likely to refund your money than a random internet guy is likely to pay up.

  40. #40
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,755
    I was a beta tester for Brake Therapy's Bullit floating brake kit and still paid full price.

    I think the price was fair for the improvement to the braking.

  41. #41
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028

    Hey thanks man...

    Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    The sad thing is that it took "5 damned pages" to convince you of it, even though your knowledge came from Specialized's marketing department (regardless of whether or not it was directly off their webpage, the fact is that the conception that an FSR has a vertical axle path can ONLY come from Specialized's marketing department), while the other people who were trying to enlighten you were basing their knowledge on phyiscs and good, grounded, proven facts.

    The same case exists here. People with more knowledge than you are telling you something, and you have nothing but a seat of the pants "feel" (not even based on a direct comparison) to back up your own point. Sure, you should always poke and prod and ask for more information, but instead you simply take the pigheaded approach that what they are saying is wrong until they have backed you into a corner with pages and pages of facts and data, and force you to concede your point.

    You know what would happen if you simply said, "I can't feel any brake jack in my FSR. Why is that? How would a floating brake help if I can't feel anything?" ?

    You'd get a bunch of helpful people, including Brian from Therapy Components, in here explaining exactly how it helps, and providing you with useful information. But instead, you choose to be nasty and argumentative.

    RE: this whole thing with Therapy & your "deal" - well, it never hurts to ask, I guess. However, you have to recognize that your "deal" was a huge stretch - some random guy, asking for half price on a retail item simply to see if he liked it or not. They already have a money back guarantee and a business is far more likely to refund your money than a random internet guy is likely to pay up.
    for that very insightful....blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

    Look here, I understand the concept of a floater and how it works. I've ridden bikes with them (not my own) and without them (mine), so I have a pretty good seat of the pants "feel" for direct comparison to back up my point. I understand that there are allot of people on these type of boards that claim this and that with nothing to back up their claims, however I'm not one of them. I pretty much stick to what I know to be facts based of what I've either experienced first hand or info from mfgs, which I now know can be sometimes misleading. Sometimes, I will also give info based off my friends perceptives, but I usually make that clear in the post.

    I don't need to ask why my FSR doesn't brake jack, I know why so case closed. The only reason I brought it up in this post was to be funny. I'm done defending the fact, unless someone specifically asks about FSR brake jack, that FSR's don't jack. It's pointless to debate, Brian has his side and I have mine and I'm quite content to leave it at that. Now if it's a problem that I make jokes and all you tight @sses don't have sense of humor, well that's your problem and meaybe you should all learn to smile more.

    I'll admit yet again as I did in the past 5 page post, that I was out of line and didn't understand and that I apologize for having to need so much clarification. I have seen the light. Can we get past it already. Seems to be allot of subjective reading going on around here, you all seem to only remember what you want missing somehow the fact that this has already been resolved.

    And as for my "deal", again I was quite content to leave that be as well. But as you can see our ignorant moderator has too keep drudging sh!t up and I'm sorry, but I'm not one who is going to sit idley by and have some third party jack@ss spouting his mouth off about dealing he know nothing about.

    Now if you people would like we can keep going over the same old BS constantly for days, talking about some deal that is not even an issue anymore and hasn't been an issue for weeks or the fact that yes in a previous post I got taken in by Specializeds marketing about a vertical axle path and have admitted in that post and others that I was wrong or the fact that I keep bashing Brian and his products even though clearly I have done neither in this post and quite the contrary I have said nothing but postive things about floating brakes and how much I truly believe in the concept, so much so that if I had the need I would use one myself. So please feel free to keep bashing me about a bunch of crap that has no bearing on the current state of my thinking and I'll keep telling you how ignorant your all being to keep these old issue alive.

    Happy Holidays.

  42. #42
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    I was a beta tester for Brake Therapy's Bullit floating brake kit and still paid full price.

    I think the price was fair for the improvement to the braking.
    \

    Interesting that you paid up front to test something for a company. Very unique marketing concept. I've never heard of testers paying the mfg to test a product for them. But hey that's cool if it works for you, it just wouldn't be my cup o'tea.

    And yet again as I've already previously stated, I agree about the braking improvement.

  43. #43
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,755
    They had already built floating brakes for a lot of other DH & FR frames, but mine was one of the first Bullits. They had already been working with the same brake as mine (8" Hayes) and hub (DT Swiss/Hugi) so I was confident in their ability to get the kit working on the Bullit.

    There was also their money back guarantee available so I didn't see any reason not to go ahead with it.

    As I have posted in the past, if I hadn't been able to get a floating brake for the Bullit, I would have sold the frame and bought something else as I didn't particularily like the frame's braking characteristics on steep, rough & slow rock faces without the floating brake.

Similar Threads

  1. Formula ORO brakes
    By Brakemeister in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 09:34 AM
  2. 29er Wheel flex, rim brakes vs disk brakes
    By Kansasflatlander in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 09:31 PM
  3. choosing disk brakes help?
    By psycho-squirrel in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 11:26 PM
  4. Need advice on using disc brakes
    By moose in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 12:18 PM
  5. Ahoy! V-brake holdouts!
    By Padre in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 10:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •