mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Flatline 1: How to adjust rear travel?

I have an 08 flatline 1 and on the internet it says it has from 7.3" to 8.5" travel in the back. So do I need a new spring to get 8.5 inches of travel or do I need to adjust the rear shock position somehow? Will changing rear travel alter the geo and handling of the bike in a negative way? I have a 180mm fork up front, does the rear travel have to match the front travel? If im using this bike for lift serviced DH, what travel and handling characteristics should I have? what will I have to do to the rear shock to get those desireable attributes?

If you think you can
    I don't have a flatline, but they were on my list of frames I wanted. I'm pretty sure you can just move the shock mount to three different positions. There should be some UN used holes on your frame right? And it will effect the handling and Geo. No, the front and back travel doesn't have to be the same.
    Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For that model you will need to purchase a 9.5x3" rear shock and spring to get it to have 8.5 in the rear. Geometery will be available by searching for old links about the flatline.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Check the chart below, will give you a very good idea of the different shock/fork sizes you can use
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the chart! that really helps me out. But what would happen if i went against the recommended shock positions? Is it possible I would create a more ideal geometry? or would I just mess up the way the bike is supposed to be?